Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Marilyn Monroe as Lorelei Lee in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes:

"Don’t you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You may not marry a girl just because she is pretty, but, my goodness, doesn’t it help? And if you had a daughter, wouldn’t you rather she didn’t marry a poor man? You’d want her to have the most wonderful things in the world and to be very happy. Oh, why is it wrong for me to have those things?"

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Rorschach: [reading from journal] Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Rorschach: None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with *ME*!

Cheers!

Dan

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?

Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

Croupier: Your winnings, sir.

Captain Renault: Oh, thank you very much. Everybody out at once!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
In Slightly Scarlett (RKO-Radio, 1956), John Payne's character allows crime boss Solly Caspar to systematically shoot holes in him, in order for the police to peg the latter for attempted(?) murder. Standing up defiantly after the second slug hits him, Payne grimaces at Caspar and sneers, "Solly Casper, the gutless wonder!"

MikeBravo

One Too Many
My favorite is when the Cowardly Lion asks the Tin Woodsman: "How long do you stay fresh in that can?"

Mine is after the flying monkeys attack them and Scarecrow has had all his straw thrown about

Scarecrow: First they took my legs off and they threw them over there! Then they took my chest out and they threw it over there!

Tin Woodsman: Well, that's you all over!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
In Slightly Scarlett (RKO-Radio, 1956), John Payne's character allows crime boss Solly Caspar to systematically shoot holes in him, in order for the police to peg the latter for attempted(?) murder. Standing up defiantly after the second slug hits him, Payne grimaces at Caspar and sneers, "Solly Casper, the gutless wonder!"

Thats interesting. In Quigley Down Under (1990), when Quigley (Tom Selleck) is setting up his long-distance one man ambush against the crew of the Aborigine-murdering rancher bad-guy (Alan Rickman), the hand-in-charge (Tony Bonner) calls one of the other hands a 'gutless, bloody wonder' when he doesnt want to expose himself for even a few seconds to relocate to a more strategic position. Evidently a British and/or Aussie expression?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
From "The King's Speech:"

Winston Churchill, speaking of Wallis Simpson: "What hold does she have on him?"

Elizabeth, Duchess of York: "Apparently she has certain -- skills, acquired in an establishment in Shanghai."

Harp

I'll Lock Up

Winston Churchill, speaking of Wallis Simpson: "What hold does she have on him?"

Elizabeth, Duchess of York: "Apparently she has certain -- skills, acquired in an establishment in Shanghai."

eels in wine sauce Xiang chao shan hu with shrimp Bao lin jiang
no doubt baited the hook:fish2::kiss:[angel]

fluteplayer07

One Too Many

Some of my favorites from the film:

Logue -- [as George "Berty" is lighting up a cigarette] "Please don't do that."
King George VI - "I'm sorry? "
--"I believe sucking smoke into your lungs will kill you."
-"My physicians say it relaxes the throat."
--"They're idiots."
-"They've all been knighted."
--"Makes it official then."

That one was so well delivered. The entire theater was cracking up.

King George VI - [Logue is sitting on the coronation throne] "Get up! Y-you can't sit there! GET UP!"
Logue -- "Why not? It's a chair."
- "T-that... that is Saint Edward's chair."
-- "People have carved their names on it."
- "L-listen to me... listen to me!"
-- "Why should I waste my time listening to you?"
- "Because I have a voice!"
-- "...yes, you do."

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
And also from The King's Speech, I don't remember Firth's exact lines, but when he is telling the bedtime story to his children, he says he doesn't turn into a prince, but instead into a 'black footed albatross' (or something to that nature).

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Shane: Yeah, you've lived too long. Your kind of days are over.
Ryker: My days? What about yours, gunfighter?
Shane: The difference is, I know it.

From Shane (Paramount 1953)

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Mrs. White: a lunatic! He didn't actually seem to like me very much; he had threatened to kill me in public.
Miss Scarlet: Why would he wanna kill you in public?
Wadsworth: I think she meant he threatened, in public, to kill her.

Clue

DesertDan

One Too Many
Some others from Clue

Col. Mustard: "How many husbands have you had?"
Mrs. White: "Mine or other womens?"

Miss Scarlet: "Why is the car stopped?"
Prof. Plum: "Because it's frightened."

But probably my favorite line from a movie comes from John Carpenter's "The Thing". I have watched this movie well over 100 times and I still laugh at this part.

Gary: "I know you men have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS F****** COUCH!!!!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points