Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

Tiller

Practically Family
Tiller - I just had to say, that's my favorite scene from 'Secondhand Lions'

Which one? The one where Hub beats up the greasers, or when he gives his "What every boy needs to know about being a man." speech? Secondhand Lions is one of my all time favorite movies. I'd go so far as to say that it's my favorite film from the 00's.

JPH

Familiar Face
One scene I've always enjoyed is from "The Immortal Battalion/The Way Ahead."

The easy going and personable platoon Lieutenant (played by David Niven) sternly schools the ever bemoaning former civilians turned soldiers under his command, who had been tasked with capturing a key bridge position during a war games exercise, after they intentionally exposed themselves to the opposing force in order return to barracks early.

Lieutenant Perry: (gravely) "When this regiment was formed our country was doing pretty badly. Napoleon's armies were just across the channel getting ready to invade us, we'd had defeat after defeat, and a great many people thought we were finished. We weren't... But, not because we were lucky.

When the first battalion of this regiment marched it was against Napoleon... Talavera, eighteen hundred and nine, that was the first battle they made their own, and they marched 42 miles in 24 hours of a Spanish Summer, and every man jack of 'em carried a sixty pound pack. Talavera, look at your cap badges, you'll see the name on it, and the other battles too... Barrosa, Sabugal... At Sabugal, together with four companies of riflemen, they defeated five times the number of Napoleon's troops... Salamanca, Orthez, Waterloo, Alma, Sebastopol, Tel el-Kebir, Mons, Ypres, Somme... Those are battle honours!

You're allowed to wear that badge with those names on it to show that you belong the the regiment that won them, and that when the time comes you'll do as well as they did. Last year that badge was in France, this year, in Libya. It hasn't been disgraced yet... Now you're wearing it.

I know what went wrong today, it so happens that Captain Edwards doesn't. You needn't worry, I'm not going to tell him, he's quite depressed enough as it is to think that it was his company that let the whole battalion down. But, I just want to tell you this... If you ever get near any real fighting... I don't suppose you'll ever be good enough, but, if you do... You'll find that you're looking to other men not to let you down. If you're lucky, you'll have soldiers like Captain Edwards and Sargent Fletcher to look to. If they're lucky, they'll be with another company!

(exiting quickly) Alright Sargent Fletcher, they can have their tea."

Joseph

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
From "The Crooked Way," 1949, where John Payne has a heated conversation with Ellen Drew:

(Payne): Listen to me. I'm just out of an Army hospital with a piece of steel in my head, and no memory to go with it. I'm here to find out about myself, and I'm getting answers the hard way. I don't know you, Vince Alexander, or anybody called Eddie Riccardi. All I know is one person, Eddie Rice, me! You're the last person I can turn to...Please believe me. Help me.

(Drew): That's a very touching speech. You lost your memory. You don't know why I couldn't testify at the trial. You've forgotten how you used me to make sure that Vince would go to prison, so you'd be set free. Well if you're back to your old tricks again, I've got sad news for you, I tore up your rain check three years ago. I'm not your wife anymore...

Hard-core, late '40s dialogue. Dare you to find the modern equivalent.

fnoprx

Familiar Face
A very underrated - and virtually unknown - movie with amazing quotes is Alan Arkin's Little Murders (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067350/). The few quotes on IMDB don't do the film justice. This one is good though:

"It was after this that I began to wonder. If they're that unformidable, why bother to fight back? It's very dangerous. It's dangerous to challenge a system unless you're completely at peace with the thought that you're not going to miss it when it collapses"

Sam Craig

One Too Many
"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

"I have a gub. Apt naturally."

"This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Sam

"Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee" - Ron Burgundy in Anchorman

"Public news team is taking a break from its pledge drive to kick some a**. NO COMMERCIALS! NO MERCY!!"
...Tim Robbins, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

anchorman.tr.jpg

"I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!"

6xpyj9.jpg

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
"Would you like some salt for your corn pone, Alvin?" (Mother York)

"Oh, for ten toes!!!!!!!!!!!" (Long John Silver)

" I assure you, that's my least vulnurable spot!" (Capitaine Louis Renault, my big brother!)

Renault

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Some of my favorites are from comedies. This one from Airplane!

Rumack: Captain, how soon can you land?
Captain Oveur: I can't tell.
Rumack: You can tell me. I'm a doctor.
Captain Oveur: No. I mean I'm just not sure.
Rumack: Well, can't you take a guess?
Captain Oveur: Well, not for another two hours.
Rumack: You can't take a guess for another two hours?

And from Blazing Saddles:

Bart: Well, Jim, since you are my guest and I am your host, what's your pleasure? What do you like to do?
Jim: Oh, I don't know. Play chess... screw...
Bart: Well, let's play chess.

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Far too many to list, but a couple that always go around my head, are:

from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", when blowing the train up.

Butch: "Well, that ought to do it".
Sundance: "D'ya think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?".

from "The Italian Job", when, after a long spell in prison, Charlie Croker pays the parking fee for his Aston Martin, pretending he had been in India.

Garage Proprieter: "You must've shot an awful lot of Tigers?".
Charlie Croker: "Yes, I used a machine gun".

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Some of my favorites are from comedies. This one from Airplane!

Rumack: Captain, how soon can you land?
Captain Oveur: I can't tell.
Rumack: You can tell me. I'm a doctor.
Captain Oveur: No. I mean I'm just not sure.
Rumack: Well, can't you take a guess?
Captain Oveur: Well, not for another two hours.
Rumack: You can't take a guess for another two hours?

Airplane 1 and 2 are woefully under-rated.

Sure, the slapstick is great, but as this quote shows, they also have some very clever writing in them.

Too often they did drop the punchline "below the waist," but nevertheless, there are some terrific lines ... "Give be Ham on five and hold the Mayo." "Don't call me Surely!"

Sam

"Excuse me, I lost my ID in a flood, I was wondering if you could buy me some old Harper, hard stuff?"
"Why certainly, I lost my wife too, here name wasn't Heidi though, and it wasn't in a flood, but I know what you need."
-American Graffiti

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
"One more word outta you and I'll butter your necktie." Bartender, Harvey 1950

And I wish I could remember what movie this is from... "I oughta pin one right on your button." I think it's a movie from the 30s I saw when I was 13 or so.

Blooze

Familiar Face
A couple from just one of my favorite movies.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning....." - Robert Duvall - Apocalypse Now

"I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with Special Forces... seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate some children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us." - Marlon Brando - Apocalypse Now

Brando's presentation is just scary!!!!

djd

Practically Family
Roger Thornhill: How does a girl like you get to be a girl like you?

Eve Kendall: Lucky, I guess. -- North by Northwest (1959)

DNO

One Too Many
Casablanca:

Ugarte: "You despise me don’t you?"

Rick: "If I gave you any thought, I probably would."

or... Blazing Saddles (this one is all in Gene Wilder's delivery):

Jim: "You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner