Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Black Jack Shellaque: I have twenteeeee , beat THAT RABBEET. Hahahahahahaha. (Blackjack Game)
Bugs Bunny: (Turns over ONE card). Twentee Wan. Har har, har har, har. (Horrible french accent).

Cracks me up every time. I actually start saying it to myself around the house and everyone calls for the straight jacket.

Hahaha!!!

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Mine are a little more serious:

Col. Freemantle, it does not begin or end, with my uncle or myself. We're all sons of Virginia here. That major out there, commanding the canon? That's James Deeran, first in his class at West Point, before Virgina seceeded. The boy over there, with the color guard? That's private Robert Tyler John. His grandfather was President of the United States! That colonel behind me? That's Colonel William Ailen. Now, his great-grandfather was the Virginian Patrick Henry. It was Patrick Henry who said to your King George III; "Give me liberty, or give me death." There are boys here from Norfolk, Portsmouth, Malhamlet, Long James River. From Charlottsville, Fredericksburg, and the Shenondoah Valley. Mostly, they're all veteran soldiers now, the cowards and shirkers are long gone. Every man here knows his duty! They would make this charge even without an officer to lead them. They know the gravity of the situation, and the metal of their foe! They know, that this days work will be desperate and deadly. They know, that for many of them, this will be their last charge. But not one of them, needs to be told, what is expected of him! They're all willing to make the supreme sacrifice. To achieve victory, here, the crowning victory, and the end of this war. We're all hear, Colonel. You may tell them, when you return to your country, that all Virginia was here this day.
-Brigadier General Lewis Armistead in Gettysburg

Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat - the same tightness a man gets when his baby takes his first step or his first baby shaves and makes his first sound as a man. Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.
The Duke as Col. David Crockett

Chas

One Too Many
From "Pink Flamingos" (1972) dir. John Waters:

Connie Marble: "I guess there's just two kinds of people, Miss Sandstone: MY kind of people, and a--holes. It's rather obvious which category you fit into. Have a nice day."

Babs Johnson: "Oh my God, what a horrible photograph. My first wanted poster and I look just awful."

"Hope And Glory" (1987) dir.John Boorman

Teacher: [jabbing at a map of the world, with the British Empire lands in pink] Pink. Pink. Pink. Pink. What are all the pink bits? Rowan.
Bill Rowen: They're ours, Miss.
Teacher: Yes. The British Empire. Arthur... what fraction of the earth's surface is British?
Arthur in Roger's Gang: Don't know, Miss.
Teacher: Anyone? Jennifer Baker?
Jennifer Baker: Two-fifths, Miss.
Teacher: Yes, two-fifths! Ours. That's what this war is all about. Men are fighting and dying to save all the pink bits for you ungrateful little twerps.

Grandfather George: "Ohhh, it's only a house...a ghastly one at that. They should all be burned and bombed and the builder hanged."

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Machete:

"Machete don't text"

Blues Brothers:

"We're on a mission from God"

Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."
Jake: "Hit it"

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
From Ride the Pink Horse (1947), with Robert Montgomery, who stars as a WWII vet looking for the man who murdered his war buddy:

Federal man Retz talking to Montgomery character of Gagin: "You're not a bad fellow, Gagin. You're like a lot of the boys, all worked up because you fought a war and got nothing out of it but a dangle of ribbons."

Crime boss Hugo speaking to federal man Retz: "Gagin tried to blackmail me, one of those haywire veterans!"

It's surprising how many post-war films (most of which would fall under the Noir cycle) actually make reference to the disillusionment evidenced by many returning WWII servicemen. Quite different from the "back to normalcy" message found in most mainstream films of the time.

Last edited:

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I could do this all day, but there is unfortunately work to be done. This was a TV miniseries and not a movie (so, sue me), but I loved "Lonesome Dove". Tommy Lee Jones as Captain Woodrow Call after beating a guy half to death, "I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."

"The Outlaw, Josey Wales"

Bounty hunter #1: You're wanted, Wales.
Josey Wales: Reckon I'm right popular. You a bounty hunter?
Bounty hunter #1: A man's got to do something for a living these days.
Josey Wales: Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

Josey Wales: Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

My favorite lines from one of my favorite movies!

Blues Brothers:

"We're on a mission from God"

Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."
Jake: "Hit it"

RichardH

One of the Regulars
Almost all of my favorite quotes comes from the movie Snatch. It's one of my favorite movies:

[After cleaning out Turkish's safe]
Brick Top: He's been quite a busy little ba***rd, that Turkish.
Errol: I think you've let him get away with enough, Guv'nor.
Brick Top: It'll get you in a lot of trouble thinking, Errol. I wouldn't do too much of it.

Brick Top: What do you think, Errol?
Errol: I think we should drip dry 'em, Guv'nor. While we've got the chance.
Brick Top: [exasperated] It was a rhetorical question, Errol. What have I told you about thinking?

Brick Top Polford:
Go and put the kettle on.

Turkish:
You take sugar?

Brick Top Polford:
No thanks, Turkish. I'm sweet enough.

DNO

One Too Many
"The Outlaw, Josey Wales"

Bounty hunter #1: You're wanted, Wales.
Josey Wales: Reckon I'm right popular. You a bounty hunter?
Bounty hunter #1: A man's got to do something for a living these days.
Josey Wales: Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

Josey Wales: Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

My favorite lines from one of my favorite movies!

The Outlaw Josie Wales is absolutely my favourite western. Loved Unforgiven and Open Range but nothing touches Josie Wales.

Just watched Longest Day. Richard Burton had a great line as an RAF fighter pilot: "The thing that worries me about being one of the 'few' is how we keep getting fewer".

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Johnny O'Clock (1947), in a scene with Dick Powell and Evelyn Keyes:

Powell- Got a guy?

Keyes- Had a guy.

Powell- Split up?

Keyes- He was killed.

Powell- Accident?

Keyes- Yeah...the war.

Powell- Oh...

In a modern day film, dialogue like this would be evidence of no talent, or a Jarmusch-like minimalism. But in the context of noir, terse, laconic dialogue like this a style of characterization.

Josey Wales is my favorite Clint movie, and that's coming from a Clint fan lol

The Outlaw Josie Wales is absolutely my favourite western. Loved Unforgiven and Open Range but nothing touches Josie Wales.

Just watched Longest Day. Richard Burton had a great line as an RAF fighter pilot: "The thing that worries me about being one of the 'few' is how we keep getting fewer".

Chas

One Too Many
I love that line of Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Josey Wales:

"They call us the civilized tribe because we're easy to sneak up on. The white man have been sneaking up on us for years...."

Truer words were never spoken in a film.

The Matrix (1999):

Morpheus: "I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

Agent Smith: "Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21