Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite movie quotes

Kmadden

New in Town
My favorite quotes from Edward G. Robinson in "Double Indemnity" (1944):

Claims investigator Barton Keyes (Robinson) is trying to convince Walter Neff (Fred MacMurray) into leaving the sales end of insurance and coming to work for him:

KEYES: “To me, a claims man is a surgeon.
"That desk is an operating table. And those pencils are scalpels and bone chisels.
"And those papers are not just forms and statistics and claims for compensation. They’re alive! They’re packed with drama — with twisted hopes and crooked dreams.
"A claims man, Walter, is a doctor and a bloodhound and a cop and a judge and a jury and a father confessor — all in one.”

Keyes is talking with his boss, Edward S. Norton, who has just tried, unsuccessfully, to convince a client that her husband's death was a suicide:

KEYES: "You know, you, uh, oughta take a look at the statistics on suicide some time. You might learn a little something about the insurance business."
NORTON: "Mr. Keyes, I was RAISED in the insurance business."
KEYES: "Yeah, in the front office. Come now, you've never read an actuarial table in your life, have you?
"Why they've got 10 volumes on suicide alone.
"Suicide by race, by color, by occupation, by sex, by seasons of the year, by time of day.
"Suicide, how committed: By poison, by firearms, by drowning, by leaps.
"Suicide by poison — subdivided by types of poison, such as corrosive, irritant, systemic, gaseous, narcotic, alkaloid, protein and so forth.
"Suicide by leaps — subdivided by leaps from high places, under the wheels of trains, under the wheels of trucks, under the feet of horses, from steamboats.
"But, Mr. Norton, of all the cases on record, there's not one single case of suicide by leap from the rear end of a moving train.
"And you know how fast that train was going at the point where the body was found? Fifteen miles an hour.
"Now how can anybody jump off a slow-moving train like that with any kind of expectation that he would kill himself?
"No. No soap, Mr. Norton. We're sunk, and we'll have to pay through the nose — and you know it."

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
Sidney Greenstreet in "The Maltese Falcon" talking to Sam Spade (Bogart): ".....I like to talk to a man who likes to talk - I distrust a close-mouthed man - he often picks the wrong time to talk and then says the wrong things....."
Also Vincent Price in "Laura": "I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everything"

Last edited:

m0nk

One Too Many
Sidney Greenstreet in "The Maltese Falcon" talking to Sam Spade (Bogart): ".....I like to talk to a man who likes to talk - I distrust a close-mouthed man - he often picks the wrong time to talk and then says the wrong things....."
Also Vincent Price in "Laura": "I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everything"
Another great quote from "The Maltese Falcon":

"When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it"

DesertDan

One Too Many
"I'm not going to stand here and waste my time arguing with a man who's lining up to be a hot lunch!"

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The King on Main Street

The intertitle, after Bessie Love hits the King (Adolphe Menjou) in the face with an errant cream puff. Bessie apologises profusely, and the King replys "Thank Heaven you were not throwing pineapples!"

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
How about this one:

"To visit my aunt. It's very strange, really. I've never met her. Well, she used to run a house. In the Red light District of Hamburg. Before the Second World War. My Mother had a terrible row with her. Because of her whorehouse, and I was never allowed to meet her. But now Mother has died, and Aunt Harris is my only living relative. Harris wasn't her real name. She always wore Harris tweed suits. That's how she got her nickname. She has to execute my Mother's will. Isn't it funny how one doesn't mind telling strangers secrets. You see, Mother never married, and I'm, well, illegitimate... No not now, but they did in those days. That's why Mother and Aunt Harris never saw eye-to-eye. Aunt Harris accused my mother of being a hypocrite. But why shouldn't she run a brothel, when her sister wasn't even married? I think that's why Mother stayed single all her life, just to spite my aunt. Then the War came, and Aunt Harris met up with this strange Finnish doctor. The brothel was bombed and she moved to Helsinki with him."

Such lovely incoherence!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner