Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

Nash Buckingham said:
Ah at last yesterday aquired the coveted bottle of cigar malt - could not get the recommended cigar but paired it with a fuente 8 5 8 outstanding flavor - it will now be added to the Lavagulin and Cao Isla!

the only problem I had was wanting more :)

Thanks for brining it to my attention

8-5-8 would be just fine with it. :D The other cigar I mentioned might give you a little trouble finding it as it comes from a little exotic island off the coast of Florida. ;) :D
Glad I could help with the cigar malt. :D

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
my two fingers--er, two cents

Oban! Yes, I'll chime in on that one too.
Cragganmore was a favorite for a while. And over the past several months it's been Macallan for me.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Hope it is okay if a lady chimes in...though scotch is generally a pursuit of the gentlemen...I love single malts! I think this is thanks to my dad. And, while I have tried many, I often come back to Laphroaig as a definitive favorite. I think partially because it is one of the first bottles my dad acquired, but that earthy peaty flavor does "grow" on one! It is a real benefit that as a household (extended family of friends) that about once a year everyone gathers at someones house (who has a fair number of scotches) to have a tasting. Often, those who can afford, purchase a new bottle to taste so there are always new tastes to compare to old standby's, etc. Thanks for letting me jump in on that - I am just such an enthusiast (with little pocket money and therefore little scotch - so sad!)

Pietro

New in Town
Another Laphroaig fan

I am also a Laphroaig (lu-froig) fan. My ancestors hail from the isle of Islay where all the great single malt scotch comes from. I like to imagine them drinking the stuff with their porridge and their haggis (yeck!). In our house, we toast the ancestors before Thanksgiving dinner with a shot of Laphroaig.

Lagavulin is another good one.

If you want to introduce someone to Scottish single malts, don't start with Laphroaig. It's very peety and is definitely an acquired taste.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mrs Merl, chime in all you want!

Pietro, I agree. Some things are best introduced slowly ... too early is a mistake.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Thank you Doran! Pietro, I also agree about Scotch introductions, the first time my husband tried Laphroaig - he asked me if he was supposed to smoke it or drink it. However, after many more Scotch tastings he has really come to like the peaty flavor.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Pietro said:
If you want to introduce someone to Scottish single malts, don't start with Laphroaig. It's very peety and is definitely an acquired taste.

My first scotch was a Walker Black, so the Glenlivet was a giant step up. I found Ardbeg a short while after and was hooked on the peatiness. My wife, though, tried Ardbeg as her second taste of scotch ever and described it as "liquid fiery kisses," so that acquired taste may be rather quickly acquired for some.

crinel

New in Town
My favourite liquor is Xanté - cognac with the taste of pear. With a little bit of ice and I'm in heaven.

cromcruiach

New in Town
My best gal visited Scotland a year ago and brought me back a bottle of Laphroaig at my request. It's very unique--quite peaty. And yes, it does stay with you awhile.;)

The Drambuie she bought wasn't bad either.

Corto

A-List Customer
Glenlivet, but only because it was George MacDonald Fraser's favorite.

(It was lovingly featured in his "McAuslan" stories if you're interested in some Scot (and Scotch)-centric fiction.)

Mr. Paladin

I like most single malts but really prefer the Island varieties over any other. By far, my two favorites, interchangable day by day, are Laphroig and Talisker; neat and warm. Differnet character to each, but each outstanding in its own way. I don't like the water additive, even though they tried to convince me at the Talisker Distillery. Went there this summer and toured it. Picked up several bottles for the winter.

IMG_0381-1.jpg

Mr. Paladin said:
I like most single malts but really prefer the Island varieties over any other. By far, my two favorites, interchangable day by day, are Laphroig and Talisker; neat and warm. Differnet character to each, but each outstanding in its own way. I don't like the water additive, even though they tried to convince me at the Talisker Distillery. Went there this summer and toured it. Picked up several bottles for the winter.

IMG_0381-1.jpg

Gee, if you were taking orders, I could have given you mine too. ;) :p
If you like peatyness, ever try Peat Monster? :eek: :eusa_doh: :p

Mr. Paladin

I am not familiar with that moniker. If its for real, you've got my curiosity aroused! [huh] If its not, you got me! :eek: Tell me more.

Mr. Paladin said:
I am not familiar with that moniker. If its for real, you've got my curiosity aroused! [huh] If its not, you got me! :eek: Tell me more.

Its a real brand. I saw it while perusing the shelves at Bevmo. I am not that interested in having my head blown off with peatiness so I passed it by. :eek: ;) :p
I nominate you to try it and post a review here for us. ;) :D

Mr. Paladin

If I can locate a bottle at any of our local Dallas area shops (we don't have Bevmo' but we do have Sigels, Red Coleman, and Centennials) I will certainly give it a try as Lounge guinea pig. I have probably killed enough taste buds over the years with scotch and cigars to need the boost. I'll post when/if I find some.

Mr. Paladin said:
If I can locate a bottle at any of our local Dallas area shops (we don't have Bevmo' but we do have Sigels, Red Coleman, and Centennials) I will certainly give it a try as Lounge guinea pig. I have probably killed enough taste buds over the years with scotch and cigars to need the boost. I'll post when/if I find some.

Scotch and Cigars? You too? ;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails