Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Ice maybe, cold no way. :rolleyes:
The smoky taste really cannot be muted. To each his own but I like it cold. :D
Next thing I know there will be resistance to a cold martini. :p

To a warm one, would be the analogy. But as you say, to each his own.

Lukewarm Belgian "beer" anyone?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MK, best watch out showing photos of delicious Scotch or you'll be descended upon by a bunch of Loungers.

I have a bottle of Glenmorangie Burgundy Casked Scotch right now. At Trader Joe's it's very cheap and comes in a most attractive cardboard tube with metal ends. I think it was about $34. MMMmmmmm. Cold or lukewarm. It's rainy and horrid out, so I'll take it room temp. I almost never have it cold -- the only time I had Scotch cold was one hot summer in Budapest where a shot was cheap and you could have it over ice at the outdoor cafes.

I think I'll have one now. Yum.

Doran said:
MK, best watch out showing photos of delicious Scotch or you'll be descended upon by a bunch of Loungers.

I have a bottle of Glenmorangie Burgundy Casked Scotch right now. At Trader Joe's it's very cheap and comes in a most attractive cardboard tube with metal ends. I think it was about $34. MMMmmmmm. Cold or lukewarm. It's rainy and horrid out, so I'll take it room temp. I almost never have it cold -- the only time I had Scotch cold was one hot summer in Budapest where a shot was cheap and you could have it over ice at the outdoor cafes.

I think I'll have one now. Yum.

You're close enough---bring one over. :p ;)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
:p I was kidding but I would if I were not stuck at work. I think I need a drink here. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Next time at Beckett's, then. But the Laphroaig is ten a shot there!

oldmansit

New in Town
My agents (I am their supervisor) just gave me a bottle of Glenrothes. Fruity with a hint of spice. Very good on the rocks (two Ice Cubes). The package says hints of fruit, vanilla, and spice.
It is pretty good and the bottle is almost gone just given to me 4 days ago.

invention13

New in Town
Laphraoig

I grew up with a father who had very refined tastes in scotch (his everyday favorite was the 12 yr old macallan). I tried many kinds that he had bought and found I liked the peatier ones. I think my favorite is Laphroaig (the 10 yr old is the only one I have tried). I bought it to try since one of my neighbors in college really liked it. At first, I thought it was like drinking turpentine, but it really grew on me. I know it is heresy, but I put over one or two ice cubes. When they have melted just a bit, it is about perfect.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Well. . . it is all a matter of taste

invention13 said:
I grew up with a father who had very refined tastes in scotch (his everyday favorite was the 12 yr old Macallan). I tried many kinds that he had bought and found I liked the peatier ones.

I have to complement your dad's choice of Scotch!!! :) The Macallan 12 year old is also one of my favorites. Second only to 18 year old Highland Park (but I can more often afford the 12 year Mac!). ;) Oh. And Balvenie Portwood but it is more than the HP! [huh]

invention13 said:
I know it is heresy, but I put over one or two ice cubes. When they have melted just a bit, it is about perfect.

The frog over ice? Not heresy (well, probably to some!). But why choose the peaty Islay malts then hide all the peat under ice/cooling? I'd just go for a different region with less of the "bite" of the Islays. But Laphroaig has charms beneath all that bluster!! I wouldn't worry if you "don't do it right". (Besides if anyone criticizes your choice with the ice, just tell them you are enjoying what you like - not trying to get them to drink it the same way. If you look at the Laphroaig web-site you'll find they will welcome you however you choose to drink their spirits- They'll even give you a "plot", a certificate, etc. if you are a joiner). :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

From the Balvenie web-site- The question - "Should I add ice or water to the Balvenie"? Answer: "It's really a matter of personal preference. I'd recommend the addition of a small amount of clean still water, perhaps one third water to two thirds whisky. However we prefer to drink straight some of the older Balvenie variants. Adding ice is perfectly acceptable but does initially lessen the flavour of the whisky until it starts to melt."

Highlander

A-List Customer
Helen Troy said:
Right now, I'm in love with Caol Ila 18. Tough and full of flavour!

Ah Helen, a wonderful Spirit... the Caol Ila... :) And your description was right on. Not a BEGINNER's Scotch, but explosive when you figure out what you are looking for.

Smuterella

One Too Many
brandy, pref armagnac, but tonight a cheap courvoiser

once had an armagnac that was GBP 47 a glass, ridiculous but I didn't pay!

:p

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Highlander said:
Ah Helen, a wonderful Spirit... the Caol Ila... :) And your description was right on. Not a BEGINNER's Scotch, but explosive when you figure out what you are looking for.
I absolutely love it. Any recomandations for something else, equally "rough"? I like to try something new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner