Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

WH1

Practically Family
have you tried the Jack Daniels Single Barrel. it is very very smooth. While expensive, last I checked about $50.00 a bottle, it is fine whiskey. Now if you want to save some money you can get it for $35.00-40.00/bottle. Of course you have to buy an entire barrel. Included is the wood barrel signed by Master Distiller Jimmy Bedford, a brass plaque at the distillery, and roughly 240 personalized bottles of Jack Daniels finest whiskey. Oh and you get to select the barrel from the warehouse alongside Mr. Bedford if you wish.

http://www.jdsinglebarrel.com/default.htm

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
A Sazerac, made with the proper ingredients.;)

sazeracfixings.jpg

Chanfan said:
Heh, which is why I said to each his own. Mind you, unlike the charcoal, I'd take you up on the offer of shirmp, although smoked salmon on oatcakes might be more traditional. My wife might be inclined to agree with you - she thinks it's like a dead body, wrapped in seaweed and tossed in a bog. I just like the smoky, peaty goodness!

Dirt from a peaty grave eh? :p I can stand the peaty and smoky but the seaweed has to go. Laproaig is probably the only Islay that is so heavy with the iodine and briny flavor though. They must be located right at the seashore or something. :D ;)

Regards,

J

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The Sazerac Rye is a new release, it's aged six years, and tastes much like a pre-prohibition Rye.

The Sazerac Co. decided to use a vintage style bottle, and the logo is painted, or screened on the glass.

It's excellent Rye, though it may be a bit difficult to find in some areas

As for everything else in the photo, it's all vintage, and the Herbsaint of old tastes incredible.;)

Absinthe_1900 said:
The Sazerac Rye is a new release, it's aged six years, and tastes much like a pre-prohibition Rye.

The Sazerac Co. decided to use a vintage style bottle, and the logo is painted, or screened on the glass.

It's excellent Rye, though it may be a bit difficult to find in some areas

As for everything else in the photo, it's all vintage, and the Herbsaint of old tastes incredible.;)

I'll have to check out our BevMo here and see if they carry it.
The bottle does come filled to near the top of the neck right? ;) :D

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Senator Jack said:
The egg drinks. Meh.

...with the exception of the fabled Pisco Sour, which has Chilean or Peruvian pisco blended with lime juice, egg white and powdered sugar. Yum!

A wonderful cream cocktail is the Cola de Mono ("Monkey's Tail"): aguardiente mixed with espresso, fresh cream and cinnamon. Delicious!

I often wonder why these cocktails haven't reached the U.S., considering that gringos visiting South America become addicted to them.

warbird

One Too Many
I am primarily a beer man. All kinds of beer, though I really like dark beers. In the summer though, the crisp cold beer hits the spot.

For martinis I prefer gin, though I don't often drink mixed drinks anymore. For Tennessee whiskey I prefer George Dickel. Bourbons and scotches I usually marry with a fine cigar and have no real favorites, I prefer to sample. I enjoy dark rum.

In the summer one of my favorite drinks is homemade Sangria. Anyone else like Campari? Campari with blood orange juice. Good stuff.

Mojitos is one mixer I really like.

My Sangria recipe:

Fruit- oranges, lemons, limes are usual. I have also added peaches, apples and other fruits for different flavors. It's kind of up to you.
Brandy- 1 cup nothing too expensive, it'll be mixed in anyway.
Wine- 1 liter medium red, merlot is good to my taste.
Sugar-half cup
Container- I prefer to use an Igloo container that has the pull up pour spout.

Slice fruit or cut in chunks it doesn't matter much, but don't peel the skins off. Place in the container with the sugar and brandy. You can use more or less sugar or none if you prefer. Let this sit for just a little while and then add wine.

Place top on container and shake or stir if in a pitcher. Put it in the fridge overnight.

Pour over ice adding a bit of Sprite or 7-up for a bit of spritz to it. I suppose Seltzer would do as well.
Ennnnjoy.:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Whilst we are talking cocktails here's one that is guaranteed to get any party going:

1/2 Calvados
1/2 Dubonnet Rouge

It's the simple yet lethal Bentley Cocktail. The easy ratio also means that any recepticle at hand can be used to mixed it up in. If you have vast quantities of the ingredients the bath would do nicely!

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
warbird - I love Sangrias too. I'm taking note of your recipe!

Smithy - oh my. My dad is a big fan of Dubonnet Rouge. The Bentley is going to go over big next Sunday dinner.

My drink these days is the Champagne Cocktail. And recently, at home without bitters but with a bunch of left-over sparkling from a party, I tried a splash of Drambuie in it. Very nice, if I do say so myself. It may be an established cocktail out there, but I now call it 'The Girl Friday'.

Jen

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Laughing Magpie said:
Smithy - oh my. My dad is a big fan of Dubonnet Rouge. The Bentley is going to go over big next Sunday dinner.

If your Dad's a Dubonnet Rouge fan he'll love it. I will warn you, it's fairly potent and I have seen rather civilised get-togethers descend into parties of bacchanalian proportions when somebody has decided to whip these up for guests!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Mojito said:
Does everyone else encounter the same prejudice against mixed drinks that contain eggs, even if it's just a dash of egg white? People that drink egg nog will tell me they won't touch anything else that uses this as an element. Is fear of salmonella that rampant? I've seen people turn green when I mixed a Rum Flip, and they ask for White Ladies without egg white.

A Ramos Gin fizz is a perfect morning "eye opener". Just ask the Kingfish.
ramosginfizz.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy