Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

warbird

One Too Many
Oh I forgot to add on that Sangria recipe, you can eat the fruit afterwards. However, be warned, it is some potentate stuff. It'll stay good for several days in the fridge, and after several days that fruit is 'ripe'.

A straw hat, my guayaberra, a nice cigar, Cuban music and sangria or campari and blood orange juice hits the summer spot. Though I don't think the campari goes well with the cigar.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
Oh I forgot to add on that Sangria recipe, you can eat the fruit afterwards. However, be warned, it is some potentate stuff. It'll stay good for several day sin the fridge, and after several days that fruit is 'ripe'.

A straw hat, my guayaberra, a nice cigar, Cuban music and sangria or campari and blood orange juice hits the summer spot. Though I don't think the campari goes well with the cigar.

I've saved your Sangria recipe warbird. Sounds great and I'll mix a batch up sometime :)

dr greg

One Too Many
VERY NASTY

My mum always told me never mix your drinks, but when I was a young unsophisticated lad we used to drink "gunfighters" which was Jack Daniels, tequila (any old) and Coke, and let me tell you: 4 of those will get you in lots of trouble; as we say here, you go madder than a cut snake, and will do ANYTHING, it's even worse than drinking the legendary Bundy, the famous troppo rum from the deep north.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Help me dig him up, then. ;)

I've been digging up a lot of things from one of his friends.;)

Legav.jpg

Legendre_Billboard_cropped_copy.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Bundaberg had a bit of a surge in popularity here in the late 90s Greg. It's still in most pubs and bars and it's not uncommon to hear someone ask for a Bundy and coke.

The Gunfighter sounds like it'd have a kick like a donkey. The things you do when younger. We had a pub near uni which had $5 jugs of margarita. Needless to say they were popular apart from the next morning where you wanted to shoot yourself ;)

Anyone disagree with the any of the official recipes that are listed with the Museum of the Cocktail? (see drinkboy.com)

They're all historians over there - Wondrich and Regan are scholars in mixology - but I had to scratch my head over the offcial 1:1:1 recipe for the Sidecar. No wonder everyone hates it!

dr greg

One Too Many
The worst

:) And without doubt you Kiwi's are responsible for the most brutally foul drink ever made:!! KIROV, which was, as I recall, a mixture of Kiwifruit Liquer and white wine, that came in CASKS, it was much favoured by barmaids of my acquaintance many years ago, and not approved of by the chaps as vomit-drenched comatose women aren't that attractive to most.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
dr greg said:
:) And without doubt you Kiwi's are responsible for the most brutally foul drink ever made:!! KIROV, which was, as I recall, a mixture of Kiwifruit Liquer and white wine, that came in CASKS, it was much favoured by barmaids of my acquaintance many years ago, and not approved of by the chaps as vomit-drenched comatose women aren't that attractive to most.

%#&"¤ !!!! I don't remember that. That sounds absolutely hideous, the hangover must've been appalling. That'll be back in the kiwifruit boomtime days when they were making everything out of them. Reminds me a bit of the casks of premixed vodka and orange (which was cordial) that used to get downed when we were 16 or 17. It'd make you as sick as a dog and the worst headaches the next day.

I haven't seen it for years, they probably took it off themarket for the good of the public's health!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I had some extremely good stuff last weekend. Tasty, smooth, warming. It came out of a mason jar, though.

Mojito

One Too Many
Laughing Magpie said:
My drink these days is the Champagne Cocktail. And recently, at home without bitters but with a bunch of left-over sparkling from a party, I tried a splash of Drambuie in it. Very nice, if I do say so myself. It may be an established cocktail out there, but I now call it 'The Girl Friday'.
I'm a fan of the classic Champagne Cocktail as well - my main contribution to the office Christmas Party last year, aside from the 20s Shanghai Nights theme, was to suggest and provide the Champagne Cocktails on arrival. Infinitely more simple than the previous year when, over my protestations, they decided on Mojitos to go with the Cuban theme. Although I warned them about attempting to muddle drinks for over 100 people, they went ahead - delegating the job to me. Breaking all my principles about these drinks, I pre-squeezed several jugs of fresh lime juice, made up a vat of so of sugar syrup, and restricted the muddling to the mint. Even with these modifications it was a great success, but I did warn those who had never had one before that they needed to try it with the lime quarters muddled in.

I like the Classic Champagne cocktail, but have been known to mix it up with cherry brandy if no brandy was available. Some friends like the resulting rich colour, but I think it isn't a patch on the lump of slowly dissolving sugar, glowing with the dash of bitters, at the heart of a glass of champagne made honey-amber coloured through the brandy.

I see Bundy has been mentioned! That was a staple of my younger years, and I still like a rum and diet coke when I'm trying to get down to a racing weight. Make it a Cuba Libre and it's even better. I was tickled to death when I found out the nickname for Bundy and Coke: Bogan Juice! Although I won't buy it pre-mixed (I find regular Coke too sweet), I now call it Bogan Juice whenever I make it up for myself.

The Pisco Sour is a classic - one of the drinks my Chilean flatmate's brother made for us when he visited. I prefer it to its close relative, the Margarita. I read a review recently that said Pisco was on the verge of taking off as the "Next Big Thing", but haven't really seen much of it available in bars. Must see if Dan Murphey's stocks it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Mojito said:
The Pisco Sour is a classic - one of the drinks my Chilean flatmate's brother made for us when he visited. I prefer it to its close relative, the Margarita. I read a review recently that said Pisco was on the verge of taking off as the "Next Big Thing", but haven't really seen much of it available in bars. Must see if Dan Murphey's stocks it.

I'm fond of the pisco sour as well. We spent half a year living in Santiago and I grew to love them.

If you're ever there go to the fantastic seafood restaurant "Azul Profundo" up in Barrio Bellavista, they do a damn fine pisco sour!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Smithy said:
We spent half a year living in Santiago and I grew to love them.

:eek:fftopic: You're kidding! Where? In Providencia? Las Condes? The barrio alto?

Smithy said:
If you're ever there go to the fantastic seafood restaurant "Azul Profundo" up in Barrio Bellavista, they do a damn fine pisco sour!

Not to mention that it's a great-looking place. Very nautically Neruda-esque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy