Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

topcat said:
JP- DALWHINNIE and TALISKER. OH, YEAH.

Speaking of Rob Roys anybody else ABSOLUTELY LOVE another Scotch
concocction, already made in its own bottle though, the honey flavored
warming DRAMBUIE??? Perfect for the cold winter holiday by the fireplace.

I knew someone around here would have the same taste. ;) Dramuie is fine but in small doses. The really thick sweet taste kind of gets to me. Then I have to drink some more Dalwhinnie. :beer: :D

Regards,

J

Washington

New in Town
Since I didn't see anyone take up the bourban end of this

...Elijah Craig. I stumbled across it one day at the package store and its smooth, especially served neat. The other advantage is its almost always on sale. :)

For scotch, Oban got me started on single malts but I tend to prefer Macallan these days. I've actually had 74 year old Macallan at a bar in Denver.

I've noticed the older I get the more I prefer liquor as close to the source as possible. No mixed drinks or beer for me

Washington

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good Question
I like them all. But for right now I am going threw the single malts. The only one I could not handle was Bowmore Cask strength. The only bottle I have bought twice, so far, was Glenmorangie 10 year old. Really nice light. But with so many options why repeat yourself. If I was going to recommend a bottle to someone it would have to be Glenmorangie 10 year old or MacAllan 12 year old. I would also give them a copy of the proper tasting procedure I have in one of my Whisky books. People appreciate the taste more when they know what they are trying to taste. My two cents worth.
Johnny

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
A little something to get Marc's pulse racing.;)

line.jpg

Tangoman

New in Town
I'm with those that have already mentioned The Balvenie. I like it because the smoothness reminds me of my real favourite which is Bushmills 10 yr old Irish whiskey. I think the extra smoothness of the Irish whiskey is due to it being distilled three times rather than the usual twice.

Tangoman said:
I'm with those that have already mentioned The Balvenie. I like it because the smoothness reminds me of my real favourite which is Bushmills 10 yr old Irish whiskey. I think the extra smoothness of the Irish whiskey is due to it being distilled three times rather than the usual twice.

Ah. Irish Whisky. Now that is a good subject as well. Bushmills works for me too. Tulamore Dew, Powers (of course) and a few others are quite good as well.

Regards,

J

JerseyJones

Vendor
jamespowers said:
Ah. Irish Whisky. Now that is a good subject as well. Bushmills works for me too. Tulamore Dew, Powers (of course) and a few others are quite good as well.

Regards,

J

1. Big fan of Cragganmore, Talisker, MAcallan 12 and JW Black or Blue

2. Don't forget Paddy's Irish Whiskey too. I have a 50 year old bottle of it that is unopened. :)

Peace
JJ !

JerseyJones said:
JW Black or Blue

2. Don't forget Paddy's Irish Whiskey too. I have a 50 year old bottle of it that is unopened. :)

Johnny Walker Black or Blue Label? That is a blended Scotch right? If I am going to spend $200 on a bottle of Scotch, it had better be a single malt. ;) :D You can get a Macallan 18 Y.O. for less than that. ;)
A fifty year old bottle of Irish Whisky?! That has been around a while. I just wonder if the 50 years have been kind to it. Whisky is not like wine in many ways. Age does not necessarily make it better---especially in the bottle. I would liek to taste the difference though. :p

Regards,

J

P.S. Anyone ever try Glenmorangie Port Wine Finish?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
geo said:
They look Swiss. I think that real absinthe is still legal in Spain.

Absinthe is now (re)legal in France and a host of other countries, thanks to the EU's reconsideration of the matter. Most recently, it was re-legalized in Switzerland. Absinthe has never been prohibited in Spain, which is why Hemingway drank it there so freely. It remains illegal in the U.S.A., and has been so since 1912.

The absinthes in the photo are most probably French, since they're named "Pontarlier" and "Nimes".

Sorry about the :eek:fftopic: posts. I'll bow out now and leave you lads and lasses to your scotches.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Absinthe has been legal again for about a year in Switzerland. They have been selling it abroad for some years before, I understand, and it was tolerated.

I tried the K?ºbler 53, and it's excellent, with or without sugar. If you don't favour Czech mouthwash, that is.

topcat

Familiar Face
Off topic? Not at all M'suer Chevalier, changed the opening title.

What's a bar without a thread about drinks, all inclusive.

Bailey's Irish Cream is quite popular I hear as well.

Anybody remember Harvey's Bristol Cream? "Its downright upright".

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Absinthe has been legal again for about a year in Switzerland. They have been selling it abroad for some years before, I understand, and it was tolerated.

I tried the K?ºbler 53, and it's excellent, with or without sugar. If you don't favour Czech mouthwash, that is.

I find the K?ºbler a bit thin for a commercial absinthe blanche, I prefer blanches like the Jade/Combier Blanchette, or LDF's Brut d' Alambic.
My personal preference leans towards an absinthe verte, over an absinthe blanche.

Speedster

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Absinthe is now (re)legal in France and a host of other countries, thanks to the EU's reconsideration of the matter. Most recently, it was re-legalized in Switzerland. Absinthe has never been prohibited in Spain, which is why Hemingway drank it there so freely. It remains illegal in the U.S.A., and has been so since 1912.

The absinthes in the photo are most probably French, since they're named "Pontarlier" and "Nimes".

Sorry about the :eek:fftopic: posts. I'll bow out now and leave you lads and lasses to your scotches.

and also (re)legal in Denmark, but i seem to remember that it's not made in the same way as the old absinthe.

There is a bar/caf?© in Copenhagen (Kruts Carport in ?òster Farimagsgade on ?òsterbro) that used to have (and maybe still have) a stock of the original style absinthe. They are also one of the bars/caf?©s in Copenhagen with the biggest selection of whisk(e)y. Maybe BT knows the place. Afterall he lives nearby on Vesterbro.

Speedster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot