Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Speedster said:
and also (re)legal in Denmark, but i seem to remember that it's not made in the same way as the old absinthe.

There is a bar/caf?© in Copenhagen (Kruts Carport in ?òster Farimagsgade on ?òsterbro) that used to have (and maybe still have) a stock of the original style absinthe. They are also one of the bars/caf?©s in Copenhagen with the biggest selection of whisk(e)y. Maybe BT knows the place. Afterall he lives nearby on Vesterbro.

Speedster

Actually Kruts Karport is nothing like a vintage absinthe, and the only thing it would be useful for, would be opening a clogged drain. (It's a mixed & macerated product, instead of being distilled like a traditional absinthe)

So much misinformation on absinthe exists, that one could spend days correcting all the old wives tales and myths.

There are absinthes out there that are distilled properly, like they were in it's heyday, with the three best resources for information being: http://www.feeverte.net/ and http://www.oxygenee.com/ and http://wormwoodsociety.org/

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I happen to read German fairly well, and if you do too, you should certainly add the Absinth-Guide site. Haven't looked there for ages, but I think they added an English-language corner to the forum. I found they're much less inclined to jump on every new fashionable oil mix hype than American forums.

Speedster

Practically Family
Absinthe_1900 said:
Actually Kruts Karport is nothing like a vintage absinthe, and the only thing it would be useful for, would be opening a clogged drain. (It's a mixed & macerated product, instead of being distilled like a traditional absinthe)

So much misinformation on absinthe exists, that one could spend days correcting all the old wives tales and myths.

There are absinthes out there that are distilled properly, like they were in it's heyday, with the two best resources for information being: http://www.feeverte.net/ and http://www.oxygenee.com/

Thanks for the info. I have got my info on their absinthe from articles about the place in Danish newspapers. I have been thinking about going there for ages to try the taste of "real" absinthe, so now i don't have worry about that anymore. By the way the founder of Kruts Karport, Peter Kj?¶r, is a very old collegue of mine. We were trainees together in the same company.

Thanks for the links both to you Absinthe and to you Shaul.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
The Wolf said:
For bourbon, make mine Maker's Mark.:cheers1:

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Make Mine Maker's as well! I was a Jack Daniels drinker for a long time, but I've changed over to Maker's Mark in the last few years. In the cold weather months it makes a fine Manhattan if I do say so myself! When I'm not knockin back a Grey Goose Orange and soda in the summertime, I've been know to have a Maker's and cream soda! (try it with a sprig of mint!)
I'm not much of a fan of Irish or Scotch Whiskeys, or gin for that matter.
PBG

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I happen to read German fairly well, and if you do too, you should certainly add the Absinth-Guide site. Haven't looked there for ages, but I think they added an English-language corner to the forum. I found they're much less inclined to jump on every new fashionable oil mix hype than American forums.

The only U.S. absinthe forums that matter, http://www.feeverte.net/ and http://wormwoodsociety.org/ (As well as the advanced collectors that hang out in Oxygenee's forum) pretty well roundly slam the cheap oil mixes, and other poorly made products.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Folks, as Absinthe_1900 has pointed out, www.feeverte.net and www.oxygenee.com are the best, most definitive, most complete, and most accurate websites for information on the history, the chemical composition, the taste, the availability, and the legal status of absinthe. Save yourselves the hassle of wading through reams of misinformation on the Web. You really will find every answer in these two sites.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Portrait of an absinthe. "Pernod Fils" around 1910 (back when it was absinthe, not pastis):

Charles-Maire-72KB.jpg

Glasses from the early 1900s. These were made specifically to contain absinthe:

Weee-1.jpg

Absinthe spoons from the early 1900s. A domino-shaped sugar cube would be placed on top of the slotted spoon, and water was dripped over it drop by drop. The sugared water would then drip from the spoon down into the absinthe already in the glass. This diluted the absinthe's strength, while the sugar softened its somewhat bitter edge. It also made the clear yellowish-green absinthe go cloudy.

Hellooo3A.jpg

Waoo5KB.jpg

An absinthe fountain from the early 1900s. This fountain would be filled with ice water. Glasses would be placed under the four spigots, which would drip the water into the glasses.

Yuup18KB.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Haven't we grown up enough

to have escaped the nincompoopery of the old pea-hens who made Absinthe the poster child of the Temperence Movement by now?

Mention Absinthe to ten people and you'll draw eight blank stares and two responses of "that's that stuff with dope in it to make you crazy."

It's hard to imagine a more effective repositioning ad campaign than the blitz of nonsense that led up to the non-approval of Absinthe's herbal ingredient for food use (effectively banning it) in the US. Maybe the Hearst campaign to kill the use of hemp for rope.

I think the ceremony, the collectible stuff that goes with it, etc., all make it well past due for legalization and import.

Thanks for the neat pics Marc.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You're welcome, Scotrace. Always a pleasure.

It would cost an incredible amount of money for liquor companies (and who else could do it but they?) to lobby Congress for legalization, not to mention that hardly any illegal substance is EVER re-legalized in the U.S.

Also, Americans don't have much of a taste for liquors that have anise in them. Pastis doesn't sell particularly well in the U.S.A., and while absinthe is not pastis, it does have some anise in it. The small market does not justify the enormous expense of lobbying for legalization.

zeus36

A-List Customer
Having spent a month over in Lossiemouth, Scotland (near Elgin)- I've taken to sipping

the Glen Rothes along with a nice >50 ring cigar.

Glen Moray(sister distillery to Glen Morangie) is a close second since I visited the factory and had a Scotch tasting dinner with the manager, which included the 1986 single cask.

Jim Murray voted Glen Moray 1986 Commemorative Bottling single cask the "Scotch Single Malt of the Year" in his 2006 Whisky Bible. Jim chose Glen Moray 1986 from more than 3,000 other whiskies.

I'm saving up, as we're heading back over there in August.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

I rarely imbibe, but of commercial liquors, I like Makers Mark.

When I am in the proper company, specifically with somebody that REALLY knows what they're doing, I really prefer a homemade spirit. However, I know only 2 people that I trust enough to drink what they have made, and I only get together with one of them every couple years or so.

The really good stuff is smooth, and tasty. Bad stuff is undrinkable, and may even kill you, so I don't recommend you just try anything that some "friend" has made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner