Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Legitimate distilled liquor manufacturers will probably not bother to lobby for its legalization, let alone make the stuff. Here's why:

1) Americans don't have much of a taste for liquors with anise/fennel flavors.

2) It costs a lot of money, time, and effort to lobby Congress.

3) Congress would be loathe to legalize anything that was once considered by them (in 1912) to be "poisonous".

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
topcat said:
Speaking of Rob Roys anybody else ABSOLUTELY LOVE another Scotch
concocction, already made in its own bottle though, the honey flavored
warming DRAMBUIE??? Perfect for the cold winter holiday by the fireplace.

Drambuie with JW Black, a good cold evening winter drink, in a snifter (Waterford of course), only one cube please.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Basically what Marc said is correct, but the getting through the main regulator, the FDA is where the difficulty lies, Congress doesn't have much to do with the manufacturing, sale, or importation of absinthe.

Dealing with the FDA, and the "other" controlling regulator of alcohol products, is extremely expensive, and a long and frustrating process, as couple of small foreign distillers recently found out.

It's going to take major dollars to get past the regulators, and at this point the market here isn't big enough for a small distiller / importer to risk the money needed to change things. (without being sure of a return of investment)

If a giant like Pernod-Ricard saw enough profit here, you could bet that there would be some money spent.

So for the present, anyone interested in the USA, is going to have to spend the bucks for shipping to get a bottle of green booze.

It's silly, but that is the sad reality of the situation.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I'll add another vote for Zubrowka. And I'll look out from Cremant D'Alsace. I've tried Cremant de Bourgogne, and that was good.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scotch: Laphroiag.
Bourbon: Maker's Mark
Cocktail for the hottest of hot days: Campari and OJ on the rocks.

I'm convinced that the lack of air conditioning in Italy lead to the creation of Campari. I do love that stuff.

Additionally, I've never had absinthe but I love anise flavor. I want to try some! Maybe I can make Daisy and Hemingway let me try some of theirs!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Scotch: Laphroiag.
Bourbon: Maker's Mark
Cocktail for the hottest of hot days: Campari and OJ on the rocks.

I'm convinced that the lack of air conditioning in Italy lead to the creation of Campari. I do love that stuff.

Additionally, I've never had absinthe but I love anise flavor. I want to try some! Maybe I can make Daisy and Hemingway let me try some of theirs!
Absolutely, you're welcome over anytime; you and your boyfriend. We'll sit up on the roof deck and watch the city grow dark. :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Ok, slightly :eek:fftopic: as in it's not liquor but wine. But all be warned. Avoid Sparkling Shiraz at all costs. Just bought a bottle by mistake. Drank it of course, waste not want not, but it is...:confused: ...nasty!

dr greg

One Too Many
other end of the spectrum

There's a drink from New Zealand called Kirov, which is a combination of white wine and kiwifruit liqueur. Unutterably sickly accordiing to the one mouthful I tried at a promo. Dubbed Chateau Legopena by the dipso barmaids at the pub where I worked for a while, it was much favoured by female cheap drunks, and at about 10 bucks a gallon the hangovers were apparently monstrous...you get what you pay for.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Caledonia said:
Ok, slightly :eek:fftopic: as in it's not liquor but wine. But all be warned. Avoid Sparkling Shiraz at all costs. Just bought a bottle by mistake. Drank it of course, waste not want not, but it is...:confused: ...nasty!

I think you've upset my tummy with the name alone, dearie.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
sorry to revive the old thread....

i see all these people on here who are Maker's Mark fans <insert sour face here>.

bourbon is my favorite drink but Knob Creek is all i can handle if i'm at a bar that doesn't have a finer bourbon selection. my absolute favorite is Basil-Hayden's, the best sipping bourbon i've found (i always drink it neat). i'm also a big fan of Baker's and Booker's, though that 128-or-so proff Booker's must be consumed with caution :)

most of the bars i frequent are lucky to even have Knob Creek, so my solution has been to fill my flask with Basil-Hayden's and sneak to the ladies room to sneak a drink before touching up my lipstick. better yet, i'll buy a drink at the bar and then just refill my glass from my flask throughout the evening.

kitty

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Wow, how did I miss this thread?

Cynar - I've had a bottle of that, when I was tasting aperitifs. I'll probably get it again. I do like Campari, especially in a Nigroni.

I like Mojitos when it's warmer. I'll have to try making them with splenda now, alas. If it works, great - if not, I just have to limit my consumption more. Not really too much of an issue.

Blended Whisky - I like The Dimple Pinch.

Single Malt Scotch Whisky - I did fall into these in a big way. For my preferences, I like The Macallan for it's smoothness, and Laphroaig for it's peaty goodness. Those are perhaps my two favorites.

I like many others, of course - Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, Ardbeg, Bowmore, Highland Park, The Dalmore, Glen Garioch, Auchentoshan, Springbank, and others. I'm less fond of The Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, and as for Loch Dhu - well, if you like that, that's up to you, but I'll remember to serve you charcoal briquettes as an appetizer.

Now, despite that last opinion tossed in there, I actually don't like to be too high-handed with Whisky. Yes, Whisky is the Scottish/Canadian spelling, and Whiskey is American/Irish. Yes, Scotch is Whisky from Scotland - more precise perhaps than saying Whisky, less than saying single-malt scotch, but certainly not incorrect!

There are single malts from Japan and Ireland, plenty of Scotch that isn't single malt, and so on. I do love single malts, but it doesn't mean (for me, at least) that blended = bad, or that the malts I love are the only ones. Adding water can be good - a few drops, a splash. Neat can be good too. If you find a malt you like, do try it in cask strength if you have the opportunity - they tend to be like the regular version, but more concentrated flavor.

Anyhoo, I think there's been plenty of good info on here, and getting educated is excellent. But, if someone (including me) says "this is the only type…", or "this is the only way to drink it…", they may be forgetting that they mean "…for me." For you, it may be different - doesn't hurt to try!

Oh, and good Absinthe info! I've yet to try it (not a big fan of anise flavor), but still would love to at some point. I do have a book on it, and a repro spoon.

Oh, and I also enjoy a good Sazerac cocktail.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I have to admit I'm not a big fan of hard liquor. Disguising it in sweet cocktails seems pointless to me, and I've never acquired a taste for the flavors of the liquors themselves. I try scotch now and again, hoping I'll like it, but it always just tastes nasty to me.

Guess I'll stick with wine and beer for now.

WH1

Practically Family
I also am very partial to Makers Mark. No water just on the rocks. Now that I live in alabama I am thinking about doing the bourbon trail through kentucky. has anyone in the lounge done that and can you make recommendations?
Recently we did the Jack Daniels Distillery tour,my other favorite, very interesting but a little disappointing in that it is in a dry county so you cannot actually taste the wares. I did purchase 2 of their commemorative bottles which are very nice. One is a replica of the 1954 Brussels Gold medal bottle. Very nice design.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/wh1fedora/JD004.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/wh1fedora/JD005.jpg

S

Samsa

Of the liquors, I've always been partial to gin. I usually buy Beefeater.

That being said, I'm part Irish, so if I go too long without whiskey I start to get the shakes.

topcat

Familiar Face
Speaking of mojitos, understand they're all the rage now during spring
and summer flings at the bars, but I still like the ol' mint julep.

Chanfan said:
I like many others, of course - Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, Ardbeg, Bowmore, Highland Park, The Dalmore, Glen Garioch, Auchentoshan, Springbank, and others. I'm less fond of The Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, and as for Loch Dhu - well, if you like that, that's up to you, but I'll remember to serve you charcoal briquettes as an appetizer.

Now see, I would say that if you like Laphroaig I'll remember to serve you shrimp to go with that briny taste. I just can't get used to what the salt air does to their malt process. :eusa_doh: ;)

Regards,

J

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
My favourite tipples are Islay malts (Laphroaig and Ardbeg) and also linie aquavit with Lysholm my big favourite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy