Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I totally loved anything creative. Stuff like, Lincoln Logs, Legos, Creepy Crawlers, or Play Doh. And rather paradoxically, war related toys like G.I. Joe, which I wish I still had, as I had the original by Hasbro (and G.I.German!) which is worth big bucks now. :cry:
I was really surprised to see that some of my old favorites, like Rock'em Sock'em Robots, are still made today. :) But somewhat downsized I think, now with a 10"x10" ring.
Maybe you will find something you liked here as a kid.

http://www.backtobasicstoys.com/category/Classic_Toys/

Barry

Practically Family
We played a lot of board games. Also, I had one or two of those handheld electronic sports games with the little red LED's.

I remember my neighbors slot racing cars and "Stretch Armstrong" doll.

Barry

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah, Stretch!

Slightly after my time but I remember him. A friend of mine's little brother had one. He was filled with some sort of red plastic goopy substance, and if you stretched him too far, his skin would break open and that stuff would ooze out. :eek:
Luckily, he also was equipped with a supply of band aids just for such occurences. :)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh man......I loved action figures. From Star Wars to GI Joe. I still have most of them, stored in boxes in mom's basement!

WEEGEE

Practically Family
BOZO 1963

Scared me so much as a kid though i could'nt sleep without him.

b6_12.jpg

got one for my kids...

WoWEE KAZOOEE

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Two of my favorites...(among many)

Late 60s talking G I Joe astronaut (I don't have the space suit but since this is a family place and I didn't want him out of uniform...)
joestandingfull2ed.jpg

Late 70s "Great Mazinger". A Japanese toy sold in the U.S. with slightly different packaging and (sadly) none of the optional add-on parts. Still, very cool and capable of firing hard little plastic missiles. Watch your eyes kids!
mazinga2full5ch.jpg

ITG

Call Me a Cab
My favorite toy was(is) my Pooh Bear. I still have it after 29 years and it doesn't look like a Pooh anymore, but it holds a special place among all my toys. I was that Pooh's Christopher Robin.

The toys I played with were Barbies, She-Ra (and sometimes HeMan, Battlecat, and Teela), and Star Wars. I had wished I had the whole Voltron set (I only had the blue cat, the pink girl and the red guy, but they fit in with my Star Wars-the pink girl would be Luke's girlfriend-Hahahaha!). I also had some Glamour Gals which would fill the place for costume changes for my Princess Leia figures. On occasion I'd pull out my Strawberry Shortcake dolls.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Awesome robot, Sefton!

Reminds me of this robot I had. Green and gold with like a pointed sort of head. It had EVERYTHING on it from bells and whistles to rocket launchers in it's feet and a hollow arm that shot ping pong balls! The other arm had a grasping claw. It was about 3 feet tall and the feet had wheels. I wish I could remember the name of that thing. Also wish I still had it!

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Its not so scary 40-years out

O.P.-Zach R.
Why on EARTH would you do THAT to your children?

It scared me then...if it scared them i'd put it away.They think its fun but

no great interest...the talking toys now are more obnoxious.

Evel Kneival Motorcycle - It was in such high demand I think my mother had to buy that from mobsters when it came out. (A hijacked truck - can you imagine?)

Any of the Marx kits that came in a tin case. You opened the case and you had a fort or a missle station or a medeival castle complete with men, horses, rockets etc.

Billy Blastoff - some sort of motorized kid that you can buy kits for - scuba, astronaut, etc.

Does anyone remember a set of robots that came with a monorail track. The track had teeth and the robots would march along it. They must have had about twenty robots you could collect - a fireman, a cop, a construction worker (sounds like the Village People) a boxer - I seem to remember they were called Zoomers but I can't find any reference on the net.

Regards,

Senator Jack

WEEGEE

Practically Family
If i could quatitfy the distance E.K.jumped

O.P. Senator Jack-
Evel Kneival Motorcycle - It was in such high demand I think my mother had to buy that from mobsters when it came out. (A hijacked truck - can you imagine?)

great toy...we use to have distance competitions...dig a hole in the yard

fill it with water...pretend sharks...and crank away.:cheers1:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The Village Robots?

Senator Jack said:

Any of the Marx kits that came in a tin case. You opened the case and you had a fort or a missle station or a medeival castle complete with men, horses, rockets etc.

Billy Blastoff - some sort of motorized kid that you can buy kits for - scuba, astronaut, etc.

Does anyone remember a set of robots that came with a monorail track. The track had teeth and the robots would march along it. They must have had about twenty robots you could collect - a fireman, a cop, a construction worker (sounds like the Village People) a boxer - I seem to remember they were called Zoomers but I can't find any reference on the net.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Don't remember them, but the stuff from Marx has always been perrenial favorites. They always produced the historic period toys that I gravitated towards. I recall I had some kind of castle and knight set made by Marx, really liked that one.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Reminds me of this robot I had. Green and gold with like a pointed sort of head. It had EVERYTHING on it from bells and whistles to rocket launchers in it's feet and a hollow arm that shot ping pong balls! The other arm had a grasping claw. It was about 3 feet tall and the feet had wheels. I wish I could remember the name of that thing. Also wish I still had it!
I'm not sure how old you are Maj. Nick, but are you talking about The Great Garloo?? That thing is PRICELESS now!!

Novella

Practically Family
Ooo, fun topic! I loved my American girl dolls, I had Molly and Samantha. Molly's time period was World War II and Samantha's was circa 1906 - I give them some credit for why I love history so much. There was always Barbie too, and Cherry Merry Muffin, and an assortment of other dolls. I also liked playing with my brother's Tinkertoys - I'd make lollypops and guns, haha.

haha, the board turned the "l o l" in l ollypops into a face.

Bebop

Practically Family
I loved Tonka trucks and Hot Wheels. I still have quite a few of them. I also loved anything cowboy. I wanted to be Roy Rogers when I grew up.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm,.....

flat-top said:
I'm not sure how old you are Maj. Nick, but are you talking about The Great Garloo?? That thing is PRICELESS now!!

"The Great Garloo" ya say? Sounds weirdly familiar somehow. I think I'll do a Google search on that one. Thanks for the lead flat top! :)

(Just checked and it wasn't Garloo. This was a futuristic, almost Japanese Anime - looking robot. Might have been by Marx though, bears further investigation.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21