Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Major, you must be my age.

Maj.Nick Danger said:
I totally loved anything creative. Stuff like, Lincoln Logs, Legos, Creepy Crawlers, or Play Doh. And rather paradoxically, war related toys like G.I. Joe, which I wish I still had, as I had the original by Hasbro (and G.I.German!) which is worth big bucks now. :cry:
I was really surprised to see that some of my old favorites, like Rock'em Sock'em Robots, are still made today. :) But somewhat downsized I think, now with a 10"x10" ring.
Maybe you will find something you liked here as a kid.

http://www.backtobasicstoys.com/category/Classic_Toys/

Good Lord. You name everything I had, except for "Rock em' Sock 'em Robots". Oh and matchbox cars, the real ones, not the "hotwheels" type. Oh and we had Cox .049 airplanes, Revelle models, and Schwinn Bicycles. I even had a "Jimmy Jet'. Now does ANYONE know what that was?

PS what about all those Wham-O products, and Erector Set, the Gilbert Chemistry Set...try to find that in a store today!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Wham-o

Andykev said:
Good Lord. You name everything I had, except for "Rock em' Sock 'em Robots". Oh and matchbox cars, the real ones, not the "hotwheels" type. Oh and we had Cox .049 airplanes, Revelle models, and Schwinn Bicycles. I even had a "Jimmy Jet'. Now does ANYONE know what that was?

PS what about all those Wham-O products, and Erector Set, the Gilbert Chemistry Set...try to find that in a store today!

Yeah, almost forgot that company. They made Frizbees, a big ring that made enormous soap bubbles, and this substance called "Flubber". A sort of rubbery goop that was pink in color that you could mold into weird shapes, or maybe just leave it lying around to freak out your mom. lol

CharlieH.

One Too Many
For me it was Micro-Machines. I had a whole city for those diminutive cars and trains but things eventually broke at the hands of careless friends, got lost in a cavernous couch or were cleaned-out by a well meaning mother. I still have some bits and pieces scattered around the room.

Later I graduated to model trains, but that's another story.

Steve

Practically Family
The only thing I played with for years was Legos. My room was a perpetual danger for the uninitiated's feet.

Barry said:
I remember my neighbors slot racing cars and "Stretch Armstrong" doll.

Barry

Yep, a kid after my own heart. :p Poor ol' Stretch. He eventually lost an arm. He just couldn't keep stretching.
I still have some slot cars. Hopefully the next generation will put them to good use. You can still get parts and keep them going. :arated:

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Yeah She-Ra and He-man cartoons. Whatever happened to cartoons that were well drawn and actually look like what they are supposed to be. ;)

Mycroft

One Too Many
Though I was brought up in more recent times, I have always had very non-eectronic toys: Legos, Lincoln Logs, Brio, etc. etc. Though also my famly stressed make your own fun and toys and we did outside, dress-up, or on my Dad's workbench.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Reminds me of this robot I had. Green and gold with like a pointed sort of head. It had EVERYTHING on it from bells and whistles to rocket launchers in it's feet and a hollow arm that shot ping pong balls! The other arm had a grasping claw. It was about 3 feet tall and the feet had wheels. I wish I could remember the name of that thing. Also wish I still had it!

It wasn't this one was it?
raideen12by.jpg

This fellow is called 'Raideen' and is based on a Japanese anime from the late 70s. I don't believe he fired ping pong balls. He has a fist (not shown in pic) that launches.

These are toys from my collection. They aren't ones from my childhood although I would have loved to have them back then! They're the kind of toys that you can afford only when you're "too old" to be having toys! Never too old!
godzillashelf11fy.jpg

godzillashelf29ez.jpg

godzillashelf37oi.jpg

"Go!.. Go!.. Go! Go! Godzilla!"-Blue Oyster Cult

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now I had THAT Shogun Warrior!! And I also, ironically, had the Shogun Warrior Godzilla, with rubber flames that came out of his mouth, and (inexplicably) had a launching fist! Those I did NOT keep. Growing up, my grandfather had a wine cellar in our back yard. After he died, it became the place where all of our toys were stored. It was so scary down there, that once the toys were put there, I pretty much considered them gone for good, since I was much too afraid to ever go get them! I can only imagine what treasures were unearthed when that thing was cleaned out!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I still have some of the toys I grew up with,but most I've had to track down later. Buying back your past can be expensive..:rolleyes: I used to have several of the Marx Toys "Johnny West" figures. Black Bart was very cool. I wish I had them now. They were really heavy and made to last.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Nope.

Sefton said:
It wasn't this one was it?
raideen12by.jpg

This fellow is called 'Raideen' and is based on a Japanese anime from the late 70s. I don't believe he fired ping pong balls. He has a fist (not shown in pic) that launches.

These are toys from my collection. They aren't ones from my childhood although I would have loved to have them back then! They're the kind of toys that you can afford only when you're "too old" to be having toys! Never too old!

"Go!.. Go!.. Go! Go! Godzilla!"-Blue Oyster Cult

Wasn't that one. Mine was green and,......now that I think of it, a sort of copper color. The red light bulb eyes lit up,...It had a morse code clicker in it's back, as well as a bell for signaling. Also it bent at the waist so you could pick things up off the floor with it's claw.

This is gonna drive me crazy trying to remember what it was called,....I even did a search on ebay to see if by some chance there would be one there! :fing28:

Nice Godzilla collection, by the way. :cheers1:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I had so many I don't remember

I had a plastic desert mountain with plastic Indians and Cavalry, Lincoln Logs, a mechanical monkey that lifted a barbell, Evil Kneival, a wrist radio, a motorized car, race cars, electric train, Tonka trucks etc, etc. Loved board games; Clue, Operation, Stratego, Monopoly, Risk, Life, Battleship. I played with all of them until they were so worn out it was time to throw it. I had a rocker with a bears head for the headrest. I have to laugh because some people think they have to spend big bucks on kids toys now and really, if you buy a kid a $10 truck he'll probably play with it more than the $50 hotest toy you tackled someone in the store to buy.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
My little brother's

Favorite was undoubtedly the Erector set. For every birthday and Chiristmas, he'd beg my parents for the next bigger set, up until he got the largest one. The floor of his room was covered with all his projects, and we had to tread carefuly lest we break anything.

Mine? I was a bookworm, and read/devoured just about anything in print I could get my hands on. Don't remember any particular toys, but there are a couple of talking and walking dolls at my parents', circa late '50 and from London, which were mine as a small girl. They're quite dirty now, and in need of some repair, so I am looking for someone/shop that can do this.

Jake

One of the Regulars
My favorite toy I can remember was a "Defender Dan" machiine gun...It shot plastic bullets out the barrel and ejected the casings out the side. It was belt fed. I would sit in a cardboard box in front of the TV with it watching "12 O clock high" pretending to be a waist gunner on a B-17. As the messersmitts would come in, I would bounce the plastic bullets off the TV screen.
tn_MVC-dd1S.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The first video game?

Jake said:
My favorite toy I can remember was a "Defender Dan" machiine gun...It shot plastic bullets out the barrel and ejected the casings out the side. It was belt fed. I would sit in a cardboard box in front of the TV with it watching "12 O clock high" pretending to be a waist gunner on a B-17. As the messersmitts would come in, I would bounce the plastic bullets off the TV screen.
tn_MVC-dd1S.jpg

So you were the one that invented the interactive video game? :)

Jake

One of the Regulars
Possibly, although I recall that my dad wasn't too happy about when he caught me doing it. Worried I would break the old black and white screen I imagine. BTW I just saw a copy of this gun sell for $479.00, I recall when I had one it sold for $9.99.....Jake

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, that's the way it is with ALL that stuff we had!

I had the original GI Joe and GI German from Hasbro. Last I saw they were going for about $2000 a piece! :eusa_doh: Not to mention all the other cool stuff I had,.....

I could kick myself for growing up and getting rid of my toys! :kick:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot