Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

richie1958

New in Town
It was Meccano for me. I had loads of gears sprockets chains and made many weird and wonderful vehicles, usually powered by a Mamod steam engine.
I even made my own clutches using cardboard as the friction material on the clutch plates.
However, my dad came home from work one night with a pair of old Meccano Elektron sets 1 and 2, which a work-mate had given him for me and my brothers. Now considering the sets were pre-war, they were in fantastic condition; but there was a reason for that... The sets enabled a child to build various electrical projects and learn how electricity works. you could build things like a galvanometer, an electric motor and an electric shock machine........ The bloke who gave the sets to my dad had built this particular device when he was a kid and connected it to the cat's tail... The sets were confiscated and remained untouched until he gave them to us in the sixties.
THAT ELECTRIC SHOCK MACHINE WAS BLOOMIN FANTASTIC! We had so much fun with it! Once you were holding the brass electrodes and it was turned on, you couldn't let go!!!! You just slid onto the floor jibbering and shaking!
Richie

MeccanoElektron2.jpg
[/IMG]

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Another childhood favorite in my house was my brother's Johnny Lightning race track.

DSC00525.JPG

The cars would start at the bottom of the ramp, on a hook. The two white handles at the bottom would be slid to the right by the enthusiastic 'racers,' and the cars would rocket to the top if the ramp, and then circle around the oval and come back to the bottom of the ramp where timing was everything as we did this over and over again. The clear plastic piece at the top of the ramp kept the cars from flying across the room.

Only Johnny Lightning cars had the small angled hole in the bottom that the racetrack's hook fit into.

My brother and me played with this for hours on end.

Another childhood favorite in my house was my brother's Johnny Lightning race track.

DSC00525.JPG

The cars would start at the bottom of the ramp, on a hook. The two white handles at the bottom would be slid to the right by the enthusiastic 'racers,' and the cars would rocket to the top if the ramp, and then circle around the oval and come back to the bottom of the ramp where timing was everything as we did this over and over again. The clear plastic piece at the top of the ramp kept the cars from flying across the room.

Only Johnny Lightning cars had the small angled hole in the bottom that the racetrack's hook fit into.

My brother and me played with this for hours on end.

That's a diecast collector's Holy Grail. The funny thing is that back then I remember Hot Wheels as a little lad but not (Topper) Johnny Lightning. Sadly the original JL line was short-lived as Topper folded in 1971.

Flicka

One Too Many
When I grew up, it was LEGO!!! I think every boy should grow up playing with LEGO.

My sister's favourite was LEGO too. Mine was probably my miniature farm where both animals and humans daily suffered the most tragic stuff imaginable -- death, starvation, mutilation, natural catastrophes... I never played cheerful stuff for some reason.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
When I was a kid, I also played a LOT with trains. I still think trains are fascinating. Old choo-choo trains. Hehehe. Oh gosh, I'm going all kiddy again. I had an electric train-set with carriages and locomotives, and even one engine which lit up when you set it on the tracks and the TEENSY little headlight would shine onto the tracks as it went around. I used to turn off all the lights in the basement to play with that train at night.

Edward

Bartender
My sister's favourite was LEGO too. Mine was probably my miniature farm where both animals and humans daily suffered the most tragic stuff imaginable -- death, starvation, mutilation, natural catastrophes... I never played cheerful stuff for some reason.

I'll bet you wore a lot of black and read Nietsche as a teenager..... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy