Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite toys as a kid?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Corgi and Dinky diecast. I had the Batmobile, James Bond Aston Martin, and I currently have the ladder truck. An older kid who lived across the street from me had the Green Hornet car -- I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a tad envious.

410446141_2db33ab94b.jpg

I still have my Batmobile. In fact, my box of Matchbox/Hot Wheels/Johnny Lightning/Corgi cars is one of the few things I saved and still have.

A couple of my Matchbox cars. Lesney Superfasts, 1969-82

(left) Flying Bug (circa 1972); (right) Mini Ha Ha (circa 1975)
DSCF0126-3.jpg

Lesney in England was the original maker of Matchbox cars. They're now made by Mattel.

What was your very favorite toy or present you got as a kid?

I don't know if this has been used as a thread or not...but I thought it might be fun to remember the toys and gifts of yesterdays gone by...that you felt that you had hit the jackpot of all gifts! Something that you've been wanting for so long and... BAM!...there it was! This happened to me back in the early sixties...when I was 8, I received on my birthday... the bike of all bikes...a schwinn, 3 speed, Sting Ray sport! I was the very first kid on my block to get one...it was like hitting a homerun in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and a runner on 2nd! I'll never forget that birthday...

Jim

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It's very hard to decide..............

[video=youtube;hR9ojNddiSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9ojNddiSI[/video]

[video=youtube;QR6WP69VcUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6WP69VcUg[/video]

[video=youtube;LNa6YpVtNcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNa6YpVtNcc&feature=related[/video]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Oh, and this was rue's favorite toy.......

[video=youtube;sZWL8WSAETY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZWL8WSAETY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
My brother had the Johnny Reb Cannon and I played with it alot when I was little. It was already missing the loader, ammunition, and the end of the muzzle was missing. I still had a lot of fun with it. My favorite toy was this little blue and yellow plastic boat that was probably meant to be a sandbox but I used it for a bed on the way to the beach and as a boat at the beach. It was so much fun.

=GG=

angeljenny

A-List Customer
Growing up I wasn't into the lastest "cool" toy. I remember getting a Tiny Tears doll that I loved when I was about 5. Mostly I got books! All I asked for was books or craft stuff.

I got a set of pearls for my 18th birthday (single strand) and a double strand set for my 21st and I adore them! They would probably be my favourites.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The summer after I turned five I first laid eyes on a Talking Machine, a Victrola mouldering away in a relative's cellar. I am told that thereafter my only subject of conversation was "Victrolas". The following Christmas my grandfather saved our family much grief by presenting me with one of HIS father's machines, a Victor model V open horn machine, along with a selection of records (generally Bohemian selections dating to the 1910-1920 period, along with a fair number of Jazz-Age Hot Dance selections. I've never looked back.

Thanks, Pop!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Every year I asked Santa for Matchbox cars but I never got them since I'm a girl, I guess. My favorites (more than one) were dirt cheap or free: Jacks, my free terrarium that came with Super Sugar Crisps and the empty spice jar I used to capture lady bugs.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
One year, I got about every Ghostbusters toy imaginable for Christmas. Excellent Christmas.

I wanted this one so bad, Christmas 1994. Still have it!
tumblr_lhiinvr6Hs1qhpzp8o1_500.jpg

I had the one that looked like a toolbox and unfolded into a city. I never really thought of Micro Machines as my favorite toy or present but thinking back on it, all the different kinds I had and all the stuff that went with them, mine had to be Micro Machines.

Actually the one that stands out most is a little delorian micro machine that has disappeared and reappeared many many times over the years even after I have stopped playing with them.

Tho I will never outgrow toy soldiers.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
This is a great thread! I received wonderful presents when I was a kid, and well into my teens. I still have many of them: a sewing kit, books on Marilyn Monroe, the entire I Love Lucy collection on DVD, and a blue topaz ring that I wear to this day.

My parents would wrap every single one of our presents, except the teddy bears that they would get me. One year, when I was about 7, I ran downstairs to see my presents and saw a GIANT Pooh Bear. At the time, it was bigger than me - I was so excited! I still have him, too :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I had a few toys that I really liked. The one that always comes to the forefront of my memory, though, was my Major Matt Mason Space Station.

MajorMattMason-thumb-300x393-15277.jpg

The crawler was very cool at the time:

SpaceCrawler.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had the full range of Easy-Bake products, including a light-bulb powered grill and a light-bulb-powered popcorn popper. My cousin and I opened up our own sidewalk lunch stand until the cops told us we needed a license to sell hamburgers.

george

New in Town
When I was really little I was into trains. I had a huge wooden train set, the kind where the train cars attatch to each other by magnets. I had that as far back as I can remember--that is, I can't remember when I actually recieved it. After I got just a bit older (even before I was 13) I got crazy into Legos.

Given my interests as a kid, and how I was so into trains and Legos, it's kind of funny to me today how rather than going into engineering or mechanics, I want to be a doctor. Ha, people change. My interest in science, though, does extend to physics and I like the idea of engineering and building things. I just don't know how, I've never really "tinkered," and I'm better at chemistry.

I had a few toys that I really liked. The one that always comes to the forefront of my memory, though, was my Major Matt Mason Space Station.

MajorMattMason-thumb-300x393-15277.jpg

The crawler was very cool at the time:

SpaceCrawler.jpg

Geesh, that brings back memories! I had the whole Major Matt Mason thing including the space station and moon crawler.

LizzieMaine said:
I had the full range of Easy-Bake products, including a light-bulb powered grill and a light-bulb-powered popcorn popper. My cousin and I opened up our own sidewalk lunch stand until the cops told us we needed a license to sell hamburgers.

Somehow I can see you doing that. But I thought for sure you would have had something like this and started your own movie theatre using one of Mom's old sheets. lol

url

1_d1370e41b4e055a655d68c36ffaf8fc2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy