Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your first job

31 Model A

A-List Customer
I was 15 and for no reason other than it seemed like a good idea
at the time. I went to the local feed store and bought corn seed.

Cleared enough space in the backyard for two rows of corn to grow.
Hardest part was clearing the dirt of grass & weeds.

I don't recall exactly how long it took to grow but it did.
I was so proud, my mom took a picture of me in front of my
"cornfield".

I don't recall if I cooked it or my mom.
The corn didn't taste like the kind sold at the grocery store.

Someone told me that it was corn for feeding hogs.
I wouldn't know if that was true or not.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it because it was something that I
had created when I was a kid of 15.
Things like that I will never forget. :)
Many a time as kids, we took ears from a farmers field to have a vegetable on the table. I didn't know what sweet corn was until my adulthood. Now I hear it's bad for you....what isn't these days!!!!! :rolleyes:

I lived on a farm throughout grade school. Your post is funny 2jakes. Feed corn was grown in the fields for stock feed. It was mainly tasteless and tough for table food. Garden sweet corn is what it says. So good with salt, pepper and butter. We eat it a lot here in HoosierLand..preferably Yellow & white kernel on the cob.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I lived on a farm throughout grade school. Your post is funny 2jakes. Feed corn was grown in the fields for stock feed. It was mainly tasteless and tough for table food. Garden sweet corn is what it says. So good with salt, pepper and butter. We eat it a lot here in HoosierLand..preferably Yellow & white kernel on the cob.

I can laugh at it now and the things
we did as kids.
But my first rejection from a gal I had
a crush all through semester. I kept
sending her notes proclaiming how I
felt via her best friend.
Until that day in the cafeteria when her
friend told me in front of everyone.
"You have to stop sending Elvira notes,
she has a boyfriend already!"

:(
Words cannot express how I felt when
everyone stared and laughed at me!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I can laugh at it now and the things
we did as kids.
But my first rejection from a gal I had
a crush all through semester. I kept
sending her notes proclaiming how I
felt via her best friend.
Until that day in the cafeteria when her
friend told me in front of everyone.
"You have to stop sending Elvira notes,
she has a boyfriend already!"

:(
Words cannot express how I felt when
everyone stared and laughed at me!
Kids have a knack of being hurtful, they still are but nowadays they hide behind an anonymous name and spew absolute bile at some poor sensitive soul.
Maybe we should rekindle this thread by Big Man: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/tell-us-about-your-first-date.80963/

I was 15 and for no reason other than it seemed like a good idea
at the time. I went to the local feed store and bought corn seed. Cleared enough space in the backyard for two rows of corn to grow. Hardest part was clearing the dirt of grass & weeds.

I don't recall exactly how long it took to grow but it did. I was so proud, my mom took a picture of me in front of my
"cornfield".
At the very least, doing things like this gives you/us a sense of accomplishment, especially if you/we weren't gifted with a proverbial "green thumb". Okay, so the corn didn't taste as good as you were expecting, but you planted it, cared for it, it grew, and you ate it. Mission accomplished!

Many a time as kids, we took ears from a farmers field to have a vegetable on the table. I didn't know what sweet corn was until my adulthood. Now I hear it's bad for you....what isn't these days!!!!! :rolleyes:
With all the additives/ preservatives that is added.... Not much! :p
Bingo. It's not the food itself that's bad for you, it's all of the scientific tinkering that has made it bad for you. "Hey, if we do this it'll stay fresh longer and last in the refrigerator longer as well! Sure, it causes cancer in 47% of the population, but the other 53% are well fed so who cares?" The cynic in me thinks it's a deliberate and surreptitious world-wide effort to control population growth. "We can't sustain this many people, so let's find a way to poison their food without them knowing. And as an added bonus, we'll get rich off of the kickbacks from Big Pharma while they treat the symptoms. It's a win/win!" o_O

31 Model A

A-List Customer
Okay, so the corn didn't taste as good as you were expecting, but you planted it, cared for it, it grew, and you ate it. Mission accomplished!

o_O
Around here that this statement would be more appropriate this way...……..

"Okay, so the corn didn't taste as good as you were expecting, but you planted it, cared for it, it grew, and 'the deer' ate it. Venison steaks tonight, anyone???

:D:D:D:D

Wow, that thread didn't generate much interest. I honestly don't remember my actual first date. I remember the young lady and my mom's admonition beforehand to "Be smart and be careful--I'm not ready to be a Grandmother yet," but not the date itself. I do remember the first date with the woman who has been my wife for 37+ years, so I guess that's more important. ;)

My favourite autumn treat is a corn roast....take a non healthy veg like corn, smear it with butter and a heap of salt and turn it into a lethal weapon........and I enjoy every moment.

Wow, that thread didn't generate much interest. I honestly don't remember my actual first date. I remember the young lady and my mom's admonition beforehand to "Be smart and be careful--I'm not ready to be a Grandmother yet," but not the date itself. I do remember the first date with the woman who has been my wife for 37+ years, so I guess that's more important. ;)
I wondered if a thread titled...."Your Last Job" for all us retired folk might generate interest. Fun to see how many changed careers over the course of their work life.....or how many times.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Picking peaches with a group of friends when I was in the fourth grade. They tried to not pay us until our moms came to the rescue.

In high school it was as a stock boy at a little market nearby.
:D

I was stock/produce boy at Piggly wiggly
at $1.69 an hour.
PW store.png

Unloading 100 pound sacks of potatoes from the trucks
was hard on the back. It was all done by hand.
The Produce Dept. consisted of two employees.
Supervisor and worker.
Guess who did the unloading? :(

Last edited:

Juanito

One of the Regulars
From the time I was 12 until the summer I graduated from High School and worked as a Summer Hire at Hewlett-Packard, summers were spent on our grass seed farm. From the 3rd week in June to Labor Day it was 12 hours day, 7 days a week with Dad paying my brother and I the going rate for any hired man, $4.00/hour, which was good considering minimum wage was $3.35/hour back then.

It was a lot of work and no free time, but all my friends did the same, so it didn't matter. It was't uncommon for kid to have saved $3,000 in a summer.

When I went to work at HP in the summer of 1984 it seemed like vacation since we only worked 40 hours a week and had weekends off. Pay was $5.25/hour so I actually made less money.

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many
Picking peaches with a group of friends when I was in the fourth grade. They tried to not pay us until our moms came to the rescue.

In high school it was as a stock boy at a little market nearby.
:D
My sons took a job cleaning out a fraternity house after the school year ended. My youngest son (about 12 at the time)wanted to help, so he was hired as well. The contractor told them upfront what they would be paid. He was shocked at the amount of work that the boy did, but at the end he paid him less than he had been promised. His excuse was even though it was a horrible job and he did the work without complaint he wasn't going to pay a child the same amount as the older boys. I went to discuss this with him and it ended with me informing him that he was the sorriest excuse for a human I had ever seen and I hoped he enjoyed robbing a child out of what he had earned. That boy is grown now, but that guy still looks away and tries to avoid me if I see him in town. Forget people who take advantage of kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ