Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Hat Addiction...and your spouse

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
J.T.Marcus said:
Thank-you. That's what I've been calling it. My wife calls it "the hallway." :)
You know, I kind of like the name "hatcave." Imagine it--if you're in a hurry to go out sometime, you could yell out "To the Hatcave!" ;) All kidding aside, that's an impressive array, J.T.! :eusa_clap

best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Do you get trouble over your hats?

Do you get trouble over buying hats from your parents/spouses/etc? For example Johnny Depp is being pressured to get rid of a lot of his hats--He is a vintage fedora collector and wearer as well as you guys know--because his new girlfriend hates them,

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Do you get trouble over buying hats from your parents/spouses/etc? For example Johnny Depp is being pressured to get rid of a lot of his hats--He is a vintage fedora collector and wearer as well as you guys know--because his new girlfriend hates them,

Not buying, but more about wearing, for me.

Because in the past some of my family members have expressed embarrassment over my more frequent wearing of hats, I tend to go hatless more these days out of respect for their comfort in public, but when I do wear a hat, I try to keep the occasion in mind to justify it. If I'm just going to the grocery store, then I'm probably not going to wear a hat. If I'm going to a nice dinner with the family, or a family gathering, then I may bring my grey Stetson along. If I'm either hiking or going to Disneyland, then I'm almost certainly going to be wearing my brown Federation IV. If I'm taking a walk, hiking, or going somewhere I know I'll be outdoors for a while, I might be bringing my Stetson Open Road, or depending on the heat, my straw SunBody hat styled like a western. I try to avoid looking too costume-like when I wear my hats, so they generally each have their own occasions, but not strictly so. The two hats I'd consider wearing with a mid-grey or charcoal suit, are my vintage Stetson fedora and Open Road.

I think when I go off to university (starting this spring), I'll make more of a point in wearing a hat frequently. Even so, if I take up a dorm (I live about an hour and a half away), I'll probably bring only one or two hats I know I'll wear often.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

As long as my horses have feed, hay and clean stalls, and my cats food,water and fresh liter, no one has anything to say about WHAT I buy! :) One of the benifits of being older and single :)

HatsEnough

Banned
My wife really loves my hats. When ever a new one comes in she is the first to grab it, open the box and ooo and ah over the thing.

In fact, she wants me to buy more....

Wha... huh? Oh, sorry dozed off for a minute. What a dream I was having.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
My wife has had her ups and downs regarding my hats; she generally likes them, but over-reacted one day when one too many boxes was delivered. Other than that she's been very tolerant. She wears some of my hats as well.

On another note, I see that it's been over a year since he of the hatcave (J.T. Marcus) has been active here. I hope he's doing well.

Regards,
Tom

Omne

Familiar Face
I usually wear them when I go into the office and I'm wearing a suit. I'm still pretty new to wearing hats so I still have some self-consciousness when I'm just running errands in casual clothes. For some reason I feel great wearing them with a suit though. Part of it is being in Minnesota, very few hats here at all.

I'm working on it.

My wife is great and has bought hats herself. She's a little surprised that I've picked up 15 in the past 6 months though, and the 100 I bought last weekend got a quizzical look when she saw the price but she said as long as I wear it, it's ok.

I think I'll keep her....:D

HatsEnough

Banned
My wife has had her ups and downs regarding my hats; she generally likes them, but over-reacted one day when one too many boxes was delivered.

For me, that number of "too many" added up to 11.
Yes. 11 hats came while I was away at a conference one weekend.
That one was bad for "overreacting."
She was so torked she texted me a photo of all the boxes piled up in my computer room.
All the caption said was "11??"
It isn't my fault. I swear to God.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Geez, my Wife BUYS me hats....and I have to pull her off eBay as she would buy too many if I let her.

That is how I originally found out about the Lounge, was from a eBayer Lounge member my Wife was in contact with!

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
My girlfriend fell on the ground laughing when I admitted to her that I occasionally took part in an internet forum especially dedicated to people talking about their hats ....

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
Same here Irfan...she said I must have way too much time on my hands to sit in front of the computer after work and chat with people who wear hats...but then she'll go to a scrapbooking store for hours on end. Go figure...

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
My girlfriend fell on the ground laughing when I admitted to her that I occasionally took part in an internet forum especially dedicated to people talking about their hats ....

Well, do not let it get to you, and you can always tell her, it is far better than you getting yourself into "trouble" on the internet, or hanging at the local biker/strip joint!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
For me, that number of "too many" added up to 11.
Yes. 11 hats came while I was away at a conference one weekend.
That one was bad for "overreacting."
She was so torked she texted me a photo of all the boxes piled up in my computer room.
All the caption said was "11??"
It isn't my fault. I swear to God.

11 hats...one day....I need your address.....(hahaha) just teasing ya!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24