Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Misunderstood Piece of Vintage

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Aquia33 said:
I had 2 pair of the Zoot style in the 50's, all the same theme.
Pink with a black stripe going down the seam and "seriously" pegged legs.
The other pair was Black w/pink stripe.

Wow! I always love hearing about past eras from those that lived 'em! Now were those pegged slacks pegged with a sharp "V" shape, or did they have more of a baggy "U" shaped drape to them?

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Pegged Pants

resortes805 said:
Wow! I always love hearing about past eras from those that lived 'em! Now were those pegged slacks pegged with a sharp "V" shape, or did they have more of a baggy "U" shaped drape to them?

My Grandmother was the seamstress (she made custom Wedding Dresses) and she started a taper at the knees or slightly above. It took some sweet talking for her to do a 14" peg. She & my Mother thought I looked too much like a hoodlum so we usually settled for a 16" peg. But some time, Grandma would do 14" with a twinkle in her eye, and say "don't tell your Mother!".

I love doing things like that with my Grandkids, it's just a mild irritation to my Daughters (and a wry smile on their faces), but a delight for me!

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
i get strange looks when i wear one of my "rickey" jackets - i don't care, i like them! i don't really pay much attention to what other people think.

best compliment — when i had on a red plain ricky and khaki slacks — "you look very katherine hepburnish" :)

someone understood!

lara

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Pegged Pants

Tony in Tarzana said:
They say the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, so...

What's the actual definition of "Pegged pants"? I have an idea but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Pegged pants were a rather exegerated taper on pant legs starting from about the knees down to the cuff (yes cuffs!). I have seen some that were tapered so much that a small zipper and hook eyes were used to allow a foot to get into them. I believe if you saw the movie "Grease" you might notice a few pairs of peg pants. Some movies that portray the 50's show jeans (aka dungarees back then) being pegged, but I don't remember those, ours were always black gaberdine, with optional stripe in black (al la tux pants), pink or white.

Smuterella

One Too Many
artdecodame said:
I've wanted to try that out a la Dorothy Sebastian here, but am somewhat afraid of exactly that!

Sebastian13.jpg

hmmm

I say who cares what they think, but then I do harbour "unnatural passions"

LindyTap

Familiar Face
As a young man on a college campus, people ask me why I'm so dressed up if I wear a tie. For some reason they can accept a hat, dress shirt, dress pants, and jacket, but as soon as I put on a tie I'm "all dressed up"

Edward

Bartender
I get a lot of very odd looks when I'm out and about wearing a mink stole.... of course, as it's part of a Dr Frank'n'Furter costume, it is just possible that it's not the mink that's getting the stares..... lol

My cravats often cause folks to do a double take. I wear them as a more casual alternative to a four in hand tie, but it seems most folks nowadays actually consider the cravat the more formal choice. I suppose most of them have only ever seen one worn with morning dress, at weddings, hence the confusion. (Speaking of morning dress.... I recoiled in horror at a television programme on Saturday there. High School Dance, it was about a group of teenagers organising a formal dance evening for their school. Several of the boys were there dressed in full morning dress..... I understand a lot of kids migh not know better, but whoever hired that out to them for an evening event???? Surely they should know better??? am I just being too stuck in the mud?). Pocket squares get a lot of odd looks too - I seem to be one of very, very few guys who wear them now outside of weddings.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
The Seersucker with bucks. I wear it on fridays in the summer of course. I get a lot of stares but mostly just... oh he is from New Orleans, ignore it. I love DC!

Second would also be the vintage watches. I have one that isn't all that vintage that I love. 1970 Timex Marlin on grosgrain ribbon bands(old military unit colors/one has my school colors... different everyday) people always comment on this set up. If no one is talking in the office I get the occasional "what is that ticking noise?" The second watch "dress" is a Bulova Presidential! A rare solid gold model I found in a Thrift store here in DC! payed $10 for a solid gold watch that "it don't work...":D only cool find I ever got.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
LindyTap said:
Imagine if I started wearing bowties!

Funny you should mention that. I have started a modest bow tie collection. I haven't had the occasion or fortitude to wear one yet.

208d_1.JPG

I need to tie one on and get an opinion.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24