Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Misunderstood Piece of Vintage

Ugarte said:
Funny you should mention that. I have started a modest bow tie collection. I haven't had the occasion or fortitude to wear one yet.

208d_1.JPG

I need to tie one on and get an opinion.

Mark

Put it on. Take a picture and we'll give you an opinion. ;)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Ugarte said:
Funny you should mention that. I have started a modest bow tie collection. I haven't had the occasion or fortitude to wear one yet.

208d_1.JPG

I need to tie one on and get an opinion.

Mark
Those are some beauties.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Put it on. Take a picture and we'll give you an opinion. ;)

Here. Now, be nice. :D Click on the thumbnails for bigger, more entertaining portraits.

This one isn't vintage. It is a modern 2.5" batwing I included it for comparison.

(Continued in next message....)

Ugarte

A-List Customer

Please forgive the mugging and rakish angle on some of the ties. I realize that bow ties are not meant to be worn jauntily. I was tying and taking pics as quickly as I could. Nevertheless, I got bored, hence, the mugging.

Also, while these ties all go with my brown tweed sportcoat, a pocket square would really pull it together. I did not have the time to primp 11 pocket squares in addition to working with bow ties and a camera. I should also mention that the shirt is not a dress shirt -- it's a simple blue cotton shirt from a discount store. It seems like a great shirt. It has a soft collar.

Well? Would you buy a used car from this man?

Mark

Ugarte said:

Please forgive the mugging and rakish angle on some of the ties. I realize that bow ties are not meant to be worn jauntily. I was tying and taking pics as quickly as I could. Nevertheless, I got bored, hence, the mugging.

Also, while these ties all go with my brown tweed sportcoat, a pocket square would really pull it together. I did not have the time to primp 11 pocket squares in addition to working with bow ties and a camera. I should also mention that the shirt is not a dress shirt -- it's a simple blue cotton shirt from a discount store. It seems like a great shirt. It has a soft collar.

Well? Would you buy a used car from this man?

Mark

They all look good to me---especially the last one in this message and second one from the top of the first pictures message. Obviously you know how to tie a bowtie.
I am of the opinion that a perfectly tied bowtie lacks character. ;)

Ugarte

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
They all look good to me---especially the last one in this message and second one from the top of the first pictures message. Obviously you know how to tie a bowtie.

Thank you sir. One of my attractions to bow ties is that they are much easier to tie than a long tie. Of course, if anyone has any tips for improvements I would be wide open. :)

I am of the opinion that a perfectly tied bowtie lacks character. ;)

Indeed. One might as well be wearing a clip-on (shudder).

Thank you for the feedback.

Mark

LindyTap

Familiar Face
I've always loved wearing ties, (not exactly the trend of my generation) but never had the guts to wear a bowtie. You look so good I might just have to try it!

Ugarte

A-List Customer
LindyTap said:
I've always loved wearing ties, (not exactly the trend of my generation) but never had the guts to wear a bowtie. You look so good I might just have to try it!

Thank you sir. Believe me -- if you like the way I look in a bow tie, surely you would look good as well.

I encourage you to give it a try.

(Great, now I've encouraged somebody else to bid for bow ties on eBay. :eusa_doh: )

Mark

LindyTap

Familiar Face
Ascots are also a particularly misunderstood piece of vintage. Whenever I wear one everyone seems to ask what they are!
Oh, and thanks Ugarte, but don't worry, I won't be doing too much shopping on Ebay since there is a store right near where I live that actually has a decent bow tie selection.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I started to post up something in response to Edward's message about cravats. I think ascots are a terrific thing -- bright color around the neck without the restriction and formality of a tie.

Of course, there is the formal cravat generally worn with morning clothes, but I have never actually seen a morning suit in real life.

A smoking jacket over a silk ascot and a nice cold cocktail enjoyed with a comfortable pair of shoes. That's livin'!

Mark

Spiffy

A-List Customer
My bathrobe is a reproduction (probably) red paisley smoking jacket. Whenever someone barges into my apartment in the morning, they usually ask me why I'm dressed like Hugh Hefner.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I think it's my vintage sunglasses.... They're from 1950 and white with an eyecat shape!!! I really love them, but everyone is looking at me weirdly!!
[huh]

univibe88

One Too Many
My office requires suit and tie. I wear a tie clip every day. I always get comments like "I haven't seen one of those in years" or "I used to wear one of those back in the day."

I don't care about the tone, I always take it as a compliment no matter what. I just smile and say "you like that, don't you?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana