Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most non-vintage preference or attributes ...

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
Medical-wise we are definitely doing better.

For sure! My brother died at 4 months old in 1981, for a variety of reasons. But partly because his lungs were under-developed. Now there are drugs that can help a baby's lungs develop faster while in utero if a premature birth is impending. Sometimes I wonder if my brother would have survived if those drugs had been available then. [huh]

I am for sure glad that modern medicine will be available when I give birth! I hope to choose as natural a birth as possible, but bring on all the accouterments if they are needed!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Slack

Fletch said:
I'm not sure what I'd do without Slack.
A little off topic . . .
Geez, Fletch. I just Googled this, and found the Wikipedia listing. Another freakin' weird cult born in Western New York (see Joseph Smith, Palmyra NY, etc., etc.) I grew up about 5 miles from Sherman NY. There was a group called Shiloh there in the 1950's. They moved to Tennessee in the 70's. You'll see their bread and grain products in health food stores.
Great stuff. Also check out the World Spiritualist Center at Lilydale NY, also 10 miles away from my old Chautauqua home.
Anyhoo, this SubGenius group seems right up my alley! I could use some slack!
And please folks, as an FDR fan, let's keep the politics out of this. Thanks!

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
The absolute causalness of the intolerence of the time is the thing I find hardest to gag down. I read a Life article from 1939 which rated the ability of different races to laugh at themselves. What a surprise to find the white race was rated as the race which found it easiest to laugh at its foibles. Sometimes I'll be listening to a racist bit from old time radio or reading some completely sexist diatribe and when I stop I feel like I have to come back to this era to breathe again.

Sunny

One Too Many
Fatdutchman said:
Ah, I see I have some fellow "anti FDR-ians"!

I'm just glad I'm not alone! :D (And Fatdutchman, I love baroque music - polyphony I adore! My brother and I are working on "O Death, Where Is Thy Sting?" just for the joy of it. Except that we've switched parts to suit our voices - he's singing the alto an octave lower, and I the tenor an octave higher. ;))

Fletch said:
Not nuts about FDR or HST, all right. But I suspect you wouldn't have cared much for Landon, Willkie or Dewey either. The GOP was fairly wishy washy in those years, if nothing else because they couldn't get hold of the White House.

This is true. But if nothing else, we wouldn't have had the New Deal.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't think disliking FDR is necessarily anarchonistic. Politics are timeless. :D

-Viola, firmly in the "FDR = Wheeled Satan" section.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Travis said:
To clear this up before I say what's not vintage about me, I DO like Frank Sinatra. I'll update my non-vintage lifestyle later.

I've never had any trouble with him, at least. He may not be the man with the golden voice box, but he was The Man with the Golden Arm. Good movie.

But I HATE fedoras that have lighter bands than the felt. Sinatra rocked that too often.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
It's not vintage, but I love the way James Gandolfini dresses on the Sopranos. I'm torn between the two styles.

cgab

Is the M14 considered a "Golden Age" rifle, or is it "too new to count"? And no way in heck am I gonna give up my modern ammunition for old hardball... or my laser sights... or my holosights on the battle-rifles, or my GPS or cellphones. (The latter because I need open lines of communication 24/7, wherever I might be.)

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
My non-vintage-ness is too great to chronicle here, so I'll just leave one confession for now:

I can't stand Katherine Hepburn. At all. Sure, the gal could wear slacks like nobody else, but otherwise, she annoys me to no end.

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
Adelaidey said:
My non-vintage-ness is too great to chronicle here, so I'll just leave one confession for now:

I can't stand Katherine Hepburn. At all. Sure, the gal could wear slacks like nobody else, but otherwise, she annoys me to no end.
:eek:fftopic:

You know, I don't really like Katherine Hepburn either. And it's not really that she annoys me, it's that the very first time I learned of her, she was quite old and very wrinkled, but she still looked like herself...and now everytime I see a flick with her in it, all I can do is picture her older! And THAT'S what bothers me!

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
Miss Lucy June said:
:eek:fftopic:

You know, I don't really like Katherine Hepburn either. And it's not really that she annoys me, it's that the very first time I learned of her, she was quite old and very wrinkled, but she still looked like herself...and now everytime I see a flick with her in it, all I can do is picture her older! And THAT'S what bothers me!

I like the way she was portrayed in The Aviator tho, i can watch that movie all day long!!!!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Adelaidey said:

*sigh of relief*
I put her on a list of "Vintage celebrities I don't care for" in the beginning of this thread!

I seriously thought I was the only person who couldn't stand her (or, at least, the only one with the guts to admit it ;) )

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Actually, disliking Katharine Hepburn is a *very* vintage thing to do. In May of 1938, she was the number one name on a list of performers deemed "Box Office Poison" by a national association of motion picture exhibitors, following on a long string of expensive flops that cost her her contract at RKO and sent her back to Broadway in a bitter funk. Her film career wouldn't recover until "The Philadelphia Story," but even then she remained an acquired taste that many filmgoers never wished to acquire.

I like her though. Rally I do.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Hear hear. There is nothing in this world like a plucky, independent daughter of New England...or as an eloquent Pennsylvania Scots-Irish reporter put it:
Macaulay Connor said:
There's magnificence in you ... a magnificence that comes out of your eyes, in your voice, in the way you stand there, in the way you walk. You're lit from within, Tracy. You've got fires banked down in you, hearth-fires and holocausts ... you're made out of flesh and blood. That's the blank, unholy surprise of it. You're the golden girl, Tracy. Full of life and warmth and delight.

"Box office poison." Heh. Again I say Heh.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
One '30s phenomenon that totally passes me by is Rudy Vall?©e. Sure, he had a good radio program. But he came across as an effete twit, including in his singing. Will Osborne was a better singer than Rudy in the same style, and had a very musical band too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley