Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your opinion wanted

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
So I bought this desk lamp, it's quite old, but some one gave it a poor paint job. I have the ability to sandblast it and either re-paint it or powder coat it. I am thinking a semi-gloss black powder coat, but I could also powder coat it with a black wrinkle finish. I have more powder, but mostly in bighter colors. On the paint side, I am open it ideas as I can pick it up cheap...

BTW, this has the old soft rubber cord, not the the newer nylon and it has a a nice bakelite plug too. The cord is in great shape so for once I think I will leave it in place.

Anyway, almost everything on my desk is black, but I am open to ideas.

Here is the lamp on my desk. Don't let it fool you, they painted over some rust on the top shade...

desk-lamp.jpg

Well, a little work tonight and the lamp is done... You have to love powder-coat. Two hours from sandblast cabinet to and back to my desk!

What do you think? I love the way it looks and the satin black looks like it is the original color. The white was not easy to do, I had to bake the white first and then spray the black while not getting any on the white. Powder-coat is done by creating a static charge on the part and dusting on the powder prior to baking. It likes to sneak in everywhere!
317091.jpg

I love the switch on this, when its on, the switch shows red and normal black when off.
317092.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
That lamp would look outstanding in a smooth matte black or in the semi-gloss.
Matching the inkwell might be another way to go.

Chas

One Too Many
I like it the color it's in @ present. You could blast it and repaint it a similar color. Flat black if you want it to match the other doodads/frames/telephone on your desk as is.

You could also have it nickel plated.

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Thanks guys... I think the satin black powder coat will be the way I go. I just figured I would grap a second opinion before I went with the black. It's a pain in the butt to sandblast powder coat back off!~ :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn