Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your position on patina

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Some patina from the closet ... I like old things in general ; )
IMG_2819.jpg
IMG_2806.JPG
IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1543.jpg
IMG_2270.jpg
IMG_2274.jpg

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars
The only thing I dislike about goat is the length of time it takes to get 'patina'.

Considering a pre 'patina-ed' shearling next Fall :) 'ELC' 50 Cal

I put pylons in front of you before you bought that. Shearling breaks in fast. I’m saying that owning the Lost Worlds Anj4 (quoted to be the heaviest leather) and I had signs of stretching in the top coat in the elbows after two weeks. My jacket looks amazing now. People don’t even know what to make of it, it looks so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fake ;
I put pylons in front of you before you bought that. Shearling breaks in fast. I’m saying that owning the Lost Worlds Anj4 (quoted to be the heaviest leather) and I had signs of stretching in the top coat in the elbows after two weeks. My jacket looks amazing now. People don’t even know what to make of it, it looks so good.

Show me :)

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars
Fake ;

Show me :)

I started a video blog on the wear of my coat over the last months. I need to update it but I’m waiting for winter to come towards a close, which seems to have no end in sight in Norwegian land. Know how to use Instagram? I’ve made the Vlog there and it’s at the top of my page before the photographs in a round circle titled ANJ4. My instagram handle is milesdeathescape.

thekiyote

Familiar Face
When it comes to natural patina, I like to commit to individual items of certain types of clothing, like boots, denim or leather jackets. Because of that, I try to pick items that look good at all of their phases of wear, from new to old, because it's going to be a part of my daily wear and I need to be able to make it work as a part of my outfit. So patina becomes a part of the fun.

As far as artificial patina goes, I think the biggest problem is that there is so much bad work done that people don't think it's possible to have actual good looking artificially distressed clothes. But when it works, like it does with this pair of distressed Pure Blue Japan jeans they put out, it works amazingly:

1Xv2lFU.jpg

I would be tempted to buy them because they look exactly like what I want a pair of jeans to wear, better even than if I actually wore them in myself.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i have a pair of jeans with great looking fabricated fades even with creases sunken in and all when new, but after wearing it my legs created a totally different creasing because perhaps I have shorter thigh and longer shin, and after first wash it looks weird and confusing :confused: but I still like it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Patina is tricky. Initially, it's the moment where you get a massive scratch on your jacket and you're left feeling slightly/massively appalled at this. But over time, you gather marks, scratches, creases, scrapes that gradually merge to create character. Takes years, but you get to the point where, if you're lucky, you can throw on a jacket and it's you.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Patina is tricky. Initially, it's the moment where you get a massive scratch on your jacket and you're left feeling slightly/massively appalled at this. But over time, you gather marks, scratches, creases, scrapes that gradually merge to create character. Takes years, but you get to the point where, if you're lucky, you can throw on a jacket and it's you.

Great points.

How do you feel about wearing a vintage jacket that already has lots of patina, perhaps acquired over decades by several owners?

marmalademan

Banned
This morning I noticed my gf's bag in the sunlight and was reminded of this thread. That's veg tanned Italian leather and when you look at it IRL the quality is apparent even to non aficionados, and routinely receives comments. .What I am unsure about, is, which side would most here consider better looking? The side that rubs against her shows patina but I'd wager she'd prefers the front

Attachments

• IMG_20180316_094745.jpg
    IMG_20180316_094745.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 2,281
  • IMG_20180316_094751.jpg
    IMG_20180316_094751.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 2,275

technovox

One Too Many
Great points.

How do you feel about wearing a vintage jacket that already has lots of patina, perhaps acquired over decades by several owners?
I love it when a jacket has a story to tell, some character from years of honest use, or at least spent some time around the track more than a few times. I'd rather have the real deal than some new jacket that's been obviously "distressed" or faked wear. But it's not for everyone...

Gwen of Cal Leather was able to bring this horsehide cafe racer back to life...
CalLeatherMain.JPG

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars
Patina to me is that smooth burnished faded look on the surface and folds of the jacket and along some edges. Scrapes and scratches fall into a separate mileage category to me. Sometimes the more extreme is just
damage. Two quite different appearances to me.
HD

It depends on the type of leather. Shearling Sheepskin for example, flaking is and cracks is admirable patina.

A-1

One Too Many
Patina to me is that smooth burnished faded look on the surface and folds of the jacket and along some edges. Scrapes and scratches fall into a separate mileage category to me. Sometimes the more extreme is just
damage. Two quite different appearances to me.
HD

But through care and repair, damage can become patina again. I think you need to take care of your things because somebody took time and sweat to built them. Somebody invested a lot of his/her life in this piece of clothing. (Even the cheap stuff is made by hands mostly of people who even work harder than those one man label brands we have covered here.)

Regarding the second hand patina question, I don’t have any problems with that too. I love them old things. We only have old furniture in our house because the lady loves it even more than me. When we are in Sweden, we go to Löppis, which are flea markets, where you can buy all sorts of old stuff. Those things tell a story and we’re happy to add our part to that. Sometimes I wished these things could talk. We have a lot of stuff that is over 100 years old.

I also love old cars because they can’t go that fast. My dream is to have an old T1 VW and go to Scotland, Norway and Iceland with our dogs. Let the T1 gain some patina...

I also love old watches. We have a good dealer here on our local flea market who sells automatic and manual watches from the 1920s -1970s for very good prices. Every time I see him, I can’t resist... those watches have a lot of patina. Those new thick and big bling watches do nothing for me aesthetically, for which I am very happy looking at these ridiculous prices.

A-1

One Too Many
Well I have a 42 chest so went with a 42, knowing what I know now I think a 40 would have been even better, I did ask to be able to layer underneath which I can, so I did get what I wanted at the time, just don't seem to wear many layers any more.

What? Come on, you have this wonderful ELMC vest to layer. Those two are just such a great combo. All of your jackets look amazing on you!

Reactions: Dav

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner