Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your signature cocktail.

WH1

Practically Family
Ethan Bentley said:
Does anyone put cucumber in it?

Been meaning to try it just for something different, but I have a hard time messing with anything as perfect as the classic with the lime. Kind of like making Appletinins and chocolate Martinis, the starbuckanization of classic drinks as it were.:(

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My uncle turned me onto manhattans this spring. He likes his "perfect," with 2 vermouths, bitters and the orange slice. I left out the dry vermouth, added rocks, and changed the orange to a lemon. Jim Beam Rye was my choice.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Following your lead

DanielJones said:
Quite a simple & refreshing one. Hendricks Gin & Fever Tree tonic. Sometimes with a wedge of lime.

On a sweet tooth day I go for a gin gimlet.

Cheers!

Dan

On the basis of your post, I obtained said ingredients, mixed the evening's G&T with lime, and was very, very happy. Thank you, sir.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
Maker's Manhattan, up, through colder weather. It's becoming Martini weather now.
I want to try an Old Fashioned, a Sidecar, and a Mojito.
But I want to save them to have with Fedora Lounge folk.

If you haven't toured the Makers distillery you will have to come to Kentucky next time we go. If you are a Makers fan you'd love it. Nick's in the liquor business and we've gone there a couple of times on election day.

Sisu

New in Town
gibson.jpg
+
watertap.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Is anyone here a fan of the gimlet? I'm test driving one recipe tonight, but would love to try others. Half of the ones I've found use Rose's Lime, the others use fresh lime and powdered sugar. Which is better? Which is the older recipe?

rumblefish

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Is anyone here a fan of the gimlet? I'm test driving one recipe tonight, but would love to try others. Half of the ones I've found use Rose's Lime, the others use fresh lime and powdered sugar. Which is better? Which is the older recipe?
I've always heard it's not a gimlet if it isn't made with Rose's Lime.
I tend to agree, but definitely a large squeeze of lime too. :)

rumblefish

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
As I recall, pre-war the Gimlet was about the only thing MacArthur would drink, and even then it had to be with Rose's. And in spite of those exacting specs, he'd never drink more than half...

That was around '35-'41.
Took too much time from munching on heads of lettuce.;)

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
hhhmmmm.. My signature cocktail? Either a Tom Collins or an Alexander. A Tom Collins(its kinda funny since my last name is Collins!), if I want something light but if I want a more dessert type drink the Alexander does the trick.

Samantha

That's also his WWII/Occupation/Korea diet--he shifted to soup/salad pairings mainly because quick meals let him get back to the office and the war effort faster. And snacks that could be dealt with one-handed were better for field-work... on top of the read that as with giving up alcohol for the duration, his austere meals were a way to show the grunts that he wasn't living much better than they were. (I seem to recall a case where, after a particularly successful op, the officers around him wanted to break out the good stuff and he responded by asking about the enlisteds. REMF response: "Oh, they've got beer." Mac: "If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for officers too.")

Before the onset of WWII, and after he came home... well, the only possible reliable sources about his diet are either dead (his wife) or even more reclusive than me (his son, who has even abandoned the MacArthur name in favor of an "assumed identity").

Thanks for the referral and the clarification--it shows a little more data to consider for my thesis, even if sensationalized.

railroad detect

New in Town
My potential new signature drink

two pours of Knob Creek
dash of amaretto
two maraschino cheries
with ice

Must listen to Keely Smith or Julie London while partaking.

A friend told me about this drink. He calls it "The First Time I Slept With A Real Woman".

I must come up with a more suitible name.

Chainsaw

Suspended
I'm Canadian, so it has to be Crown. Rye and ginger. If I'm in a rush, I'll stop in for a quike shot of Tequilla, (save the fruit for the vegetarians) and a beer chaser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ