Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your signature cocktail.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
C.Howards lemon mints are also very very tasty and downright addictive as well.

Note: neither the violet or the lemon, despite being called mints, have mint in them, but they do make peppermint mints and spearmint mints, which due to the redundant naming scheme are at least minty mints.

However, the Scented Gum, is a pass, at least for me...not so nice.*yucky*

rumblefish

One Too Many
pdxvintagette said:
One of the other member's here just secured me a bottle of Luxardo, so that I can make my signature drink, the Aviation. I WOULD have to go and settle on a cocktail that you practically can't find anywhere.

I've got the Creme de Violette on the line - will be placing a will-call order shortly before my next trip to San Francisco. The last place I tried to get it from was backordered - and then when they had it in stock, emailed to let me know shipping would be a shocking $21. Yes, in addition to the price of the liquor.
Get the whole kit and kaboodle here- http://www.drinkupny.com/The_Aviation_Cocktail_p/c0014.htm
free shipping over $99.

ET

One of the Regulars
Well here I am in Wisconsin. Beer drinking capital of the world. Brandy drinking capital of the world. Did I mention Beer and Brandy?

So anyway. I like beer. I like brandy. But I really like Irish Whiskey.

Here are some "great" Wisconsin style cocktails. Brandy Manhattan. Brandy Old Fashioned (available sweet or dry), Brandy Sweet(with 7up) Brandy Sour, Beer with tomato juice/V8, Tom and Jerry, Hot Buttered Rum, Hot Buttered Brandy. EggNog with Brandy, Rum, Bourbon. Cranberry juice and brandy, vodka, Rum.

However, when we go out, I generally have a run at the most local beer available and Mrs. ET likes Southern Comfort Manhattans on the Rocks with a small amount of sweet vermouth, with olives.

She has gone so far as to have cards printed with instructions for the bartender. Long story behind those, mostly involving really strange combinations of a simple recipe for manhattans....

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
One tends to open up the eyes:

Fire and Ice:
Equal parts
Triple sec or Cointreau
Sambucca
Brandy

I shake it over ice but you can just mix it straight up for individual drinks.
It has a taste all its own. ;)

reminded me of what we used to drink...
called a tizer
equal bar measures of vodka and bacardi in a tall glass, splash of blackcurrant cordial then fill glass with lemonade(ice if you wish too)
tastes like pop, and you can put half coke and lemonade instead of blackcurrant (called an Irish legover!!)
this was our main drink for a few yrs after our first attempt at making the tizer....we filled the glass with half vodka & barcardi, then blackcurrant...we"d forgot to put the lemonade in!!! needless to say we were in a lot of spinning rooms...:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

tempestbella42 said:
reminded me of what we used to drink...
called a tizer
equal bar measures of vodka and bacardi in a tall glass, splash of blackcurrant cordial then fill glass with lemonade(ice if you wish too)
tastes like pop, and you can put half coke and lemonade instead of blackcurrant (called an Irish legover!!)
this was our main drink for a few yrs after our first attempt at making the tizer....we filled the glass with half vodka & barcardi, then blackcurrant...we"d forgot to put the lemonade in!!! needless to say we were in a lot of spinning rooms...:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

lol lol lol lol lol
Sounds like a decent drink to me. ;) :D

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Ever since I read about the gimlet in "The Long Goodbye" I have wished I enjoyed them. 1/2 gin and 1/2 lime juice is fine, but the dash of bitters puts me off. Make mine a Knob Creek on the rocks please.

Erewhon

New in Town
Well here in more sultry climes, the Gimlet is much appreciated.Best made made with a lazy attitude to the Roses' Lime juice in proportion to the gin; ie. more gin.Also, you really need a good squeeze of fresh lime and a slice to give it wings. Serve over crushed ice as you would an Irish Mist and sip as the ice melts on your verandah...

Bitters is only up to personal taste, and the brand of gin... Bombay Sapphire is too sweet, Gordon's dull- try Beefeater or Tanquary.

It's like a G&T, there are no real rules, that would be vulgar, only personal taste.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
A 1953 description was: "a real gimlet is half gin and half Rose's Lime Juice and nothing else" (Terry Lennox in Raymond Chandler's The Long Goodbye).
Served at room temperature, one presumes. Really much better chilled/iced.

Is it possible the gimlet is referred to in the 1944 hit And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine?

He would spend it on the ponies / He would spend it on the girls
Buy his mother gin and Rose's (or just "roses"?) / For her poor old head o' curls
lyric: Joe Greene / music: Stan Kenton, Charlie Lawrence

I'm afraid I haven't been very creative lately, being out here where men under 60 don't drink mixed drinks and women use them to sublimate the urge for dessert. I have been decompressing after classes with a vodka gimlet or so (chilled/iced) and that's about it.

One night I did a (pretty much failed) experiment I call:

Vermoke

1 part dry vermouth
1 part Coke
Pour into wine glass. Drink straight or rocks.
Not as bad as you might think, but lord, it's not good.

I'm thinking a Sweet Vermoke might be a little better than a Dry Vermoke.

Fletch said:
One night I did a (pretty much failed) experiment I call:
Vermoke
1 part dry vermouth
1 part Coke
Pour into wine glass. Drink straight or rocks. Not as bad as you might think, but lord, it's not good. I'm thinking a Sweet Vermoke might be a little better than a Dry Vermoke.

Sweet Vemoke with a drop of bitters?
As some people like bourbon and coke you might try a manhattan but add a little coke to it too.

A Manhattan with a coke chaser.

Erewhon said:
Well here in more sultry climes, the Gimlet is much appreciated.Best made made with a lazy attitude to the Roses' Lime juice in proportion to the gin; ie. more gin.Also, you really need a good squeeze of fresh lime and a slice to give it wings. Serve over crushed ice as you would an Irish Mist and sip as the ice melts on your verandah...

Bitters is only up to personal taste, and the brand of gin... Bombay Sapphire is too sweet, Gordon's dull- try Beefeater or Tanquary.

It's like a G&T, there are no real rules, that would be vulgar, only personal taste.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree--I like mine low-proof and pucker-at-both-ends SOUR... and am also known to do shot-glasses of lime-juice straight.:eek:

----------------
Now playing: Jesper Kyd - Main Title
via FoxyTunes

Erewhon

New in Town
...straight lime juice... are you sure you're not talking about tequila?

I pity the gin.Best you stick to vodka.

Anyway for a touch of British Empire decadence try the Somerset Maugham Martini, made the usual way (Noilly Prat etc.) - but add a dash of absinthe.

Also known as the Razors' Edge.

rkwilker

One Too Many
Not really a cocktail but works everytime...

Ok, call me a minimalist if you will but here's what works for me...take a glass (not too large)...fill with ice...bottle of Blanton's small batch single barrell whiskey...fill glass 3/4 full. Let it perk for a few seconds...gives me time to light my cigar....bam! Instant relaxation! Works everytime. ;)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
For quite a while I enjoyed a martini (generally Tanqueray) on Friday, to celebrate the end of the work week. Saturday nights were almost always a Manhattan. Then I was introduced to the gin and tonic, and I have to say it is in a close race for the favorite 'round here. Mrs. H is the rarest of imbibers, hardly touches the stuff, but when she does she will go for the G&T, a Tom Collins, and more recently mojitos. We grow our own mint, and I planted a lime tree so we can have fresh ingredients. We also make our own simple syrup and stash it in the fridge.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
We grow our own mint, and I planted a lime tree so we can have fresh ingredients. We also make our own simple syrup and stash it in the fridge.

Wally, that sounds great. I make my own sugar syrup but was thinking about growing some other drinks ingredients; Mint, Lemon, Borage, Strawberries.

Encouraging to hear someone has already started.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
Godfather: 1 shoot Amaretto, 1 shoot Scotch whisky on the rocks. The women I was dating at the time hated it so I would get it to myself. I have never been one who like to share a glass with any one. I think that comes from my mom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner