Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your signature cocktail.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Ah, a Ginger beer like in the Moscow Mule. :D I like Ginger Beer just by itself so mixed would be just fine. What brand? I have a hard time finding the really spicy kind I like.
I find Peychaud's Bitters to be a little stronger (more bitter) than the Angostura Bitters even though I know they both are gentian derivatives.
You are getting close to the Sazerac Cocktail with that highball:

Yes, the Sazerac Coctail is very good...but I prefer it as a highball. Real uncarbonated Ginger Beer is hard to find. Usually it is homemade. My son in law is John Gersten and is the Bar Manager at Nine Park in Boston. A swanky place. A couple of months ago he was voted one of the ten top bartenders in the country by Playboy Magazine. My daughter, his wife, writes a column on vintage cocktails for a paper here called The Weekly Dig.
So, yeah, I probably know way more about this than I need to. There's a Hatian market in this town that has real Ginger Beer
The other way to use Ginger Beer is a Dark and Stormy...half Goslings Dark Rum and half Ginger Beer in a tall clear glass. The Ginger Beer in first and then float the Goslings on top, unmixed. A dangerous drink.

Craig Robertson said:
Yes, the Sazerac Coctail is very good...but I prefer it as a highball. Real uncarbonated Ginger Beer is hard to find. Usually it is homemade. My son in law is John Gersten and is the Bar Manager at Nine Park in Boston. A swanky place. A couple of months ago he was voted one of the ten top bartenders in the country by Playboy Magazine. My daughter, his wife, writes a column on vintage cocktails for a paper here called The Weekly Dig.
So, yeah, I probably know way more about this than I need to. There's a Hatian market in this town that has real Ginger Beer
The other way to use Ginger Beer is a Dark and Stormy...half Goslings Dark Rum and half Ginger Beer in a tall clear glass. The Ginger Beer in first and then float the Goslings on top, unmixed. A dangerous drink.

Hey, that works. Send some homemade over. ;) :p You are in a unique position with that kind of background. Good to have you here. Feel free to suggest further interesting libations. :D

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Well the Old Fashioned uses bitters. ;) :p I use Old Overholt as well for both Manhattans and Old Fashioneds as well.
What do you mix with Sazerac as a Highball? Ginger ale, cola, fruit juice?

Try this variation on the Old Fashioned, from the 1949 Legendre Herbsaint recipe booklet, this is Sazerac Co.'s version:

OldFashionedwithHerbsaint.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
A properly distilled absinthe is not bitter, there are a few low quality brands being imported like Le Tourment Vert, and Mata Hari, that do not taste anything remotely like a well made absinthe verte, or absinthe blanche.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
galopede said:
How about the famous Lassington Oak Morrimen's Gloucestershire Cocktail - Rough cider and gin! Evil...

Gareth

Oh dear god almighty....that sounds...erm....slightly un-tasty to my brain.

And don't get me wrong...I -do- love cider....but gin and cider...oh dear gods no.

D...who used to live in the West Country

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Absinthe_1900 said:
A properly distilled absinthe is not bitter, there are a few low quality brands being imported like Le Tourment Vert, and Mata Hari, that do not taste anything remotely like a well made absinthe verte, or absinthe blanche.

Ah...I stand corrected (actually, I sit corrected!)...it's good to have someone knowledgeable about Absinthe.

This just in; if you're going to be around Boston on September 15 or so...my son-in-law John Gersten has a new place opening called (aptly enough) "Drink"

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/dishing/2008/08/drink_an_impera.html?s_campaign=8315

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Personally I love a good Bombay Sapphire martini, shaken, with just a breath of Vermouth. Nice and dry. Don't care too much for Tanguarey- it tastes quite a bit sweeter to me.

I do enjoy a Bourbon and unsweetened grapefruit juice occasionally as well. Anymore I tend to go with the dryer drinks as sweets for some reason give me heartburn. Go figure!

And if I remember correctly I'd tried a Brandy Manhattan many years ago and quite enjoyed it. Although I never remember to order one while I'm out! Hell being only 26 it makes for some interesting looks from others when I sit down and order anything with gin that's not fruity! "Oh that's an old man's drink!" is the most common. Oh well, it's for my palette not theirs!!:D

sfend002

Familiar Face
In the summer, pineapple juice and vodka.

The rest of the time its whiskey on the rocks. I really enjoy trying all the different kinds from different places.

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
Whisky Sour with Crown Royal. I discovered it by accident when there was no Pepsi available where I was, so a friend offered to make me a whisky sour instead. Yum yum!

carter

I'll Lock Up
In the film The Blue Gardenia, our lady in peril gets loopy drinking multiple editions of a cocktail called a Polynesian Pearl Diver. As nearly as I could tell it looked like a rum and fruit juice cocktail similar to a Mai Tai. Flag, parasol and all. Does anyone have a recipe for this cocktail?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy