Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Top 10 TV Shows

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Two shows that I used to watch back when that should be on my list of favourites are Living Single (Queen Latifah) and Mama's Family (Vicki Lawrence)... I really enjoyed those shows and can't believe I forgot to add them to my original list!

book_lover

Familiar Face
Can I join in?

I don't get to watch much tv at the moment :( as am meant to be working on my PhD in the evenings. But here are those I like to catch when I can - old and new. I've totally lost it with Lost :( and may get the 2nd series on DVD but when you add it all up like that, it'd be heaps of hours of my time, lost (oh dear. scuse the terrible and largely unintentional puns :eek: ). Some of these show me up as a bit of a girly girl too, am afraid! In no particular order:

Lost
Desperate Housewives
Sex and the City
Fawlty Towers (UK)
Anything with (English) comedians Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer
A League of Gentlemen (another UK comedy - absolute cult classic about a really freaky town with all sorts going on under the surface)
Spaced (another British comedy)
Grand Designs (UK - so I can drool over all the amazing houses that people build)
6 Feet Under
Red Dwarf (UK comedy)
Bewitched :)

more than ten. and there's more than that, too :eek:

Fred G.

Familiar Face
No order, this is an eclectic group. I tried to think of shows that I will stop for now, when channel-surfing:

Andy Griffith Show

Seinfeld

Beverly Hillbillies

Moonlighting

Sealab 2020, Tom Goes to the Mayor, Aqua Teen Hunger Force-- the Adult Swim Trilogy of cartoons

Hawaii 5-0

Kung Fu

Spongebob Squarepants

SEC college football

Sanford and Son

Saturday Night Live (before 1980)

Coach

LizzieMaine

Bartender
China Beach (the finest series about war ever made for American television)

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Best of the Treks, by far. Avery Brooks forever!)

King of the Hill (best character comedy of the last decade)

Goodnight Sweetheart (well-done UK sitcom with a time-travel theme)

Ellery Queen (the 70s Jim Hutton series)

Dad's Army (UK favorite about life in the WW2 Home Guard, legendary over there but rarely seen stateside)

Green Acres (I loved this show as a little girl, but I never appreciated how demented it was until I grew up...)

Fawlty Towers (nothing else I have ever seen has made me laugh as hard)

Homicide -- Life on the Street (best police show EVER)

Hogan's Heroes (another guilty childhood pleasure)

book_lover

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
Dad's Army (UK favorite about life in the WW2 Home Guard, legendary over there but rarely seen stateside)

Fawlty Towers (nothing else I have ever seen has made me laugh as hard)

Yay for Dad's Army!! And another vote for Fawlty Towers. "Baaseeeeeeeeeeel!"

Fred G.

Familiar Face
Anybody remember Homefront???

I thought it started out to be a good series... short-lived, it got a little far-fetched at the end.

It was about life in the US right after WW2. When was it on? Maybe the late 70's or early 80's?

book_lover

Familiar Face
CherryRed said:
Unfortunately not yet.:(
I am never able to figure out why certain shows get relesed to DVD very quickly and others you are made to wait forever.:rage:

Like Twin Peaks series 2 - is that out yet? A group of us used to like a Saturday film, pot luck supper and drinkies. We'd start off though with an episode of Twin Peaks and watched all of series 1 this way (I didn't catch is 1st time round....). Anyway the second series wasn't out for ages, then it all kind of fizzled out anyway. (I am so angry though, cos one of those "Top 100 Scary Moments in Film" actually blimmin went and ruined the ending for me anyway :rolleyes: )

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Fred G. said:
I thought it started out to be a good series... short-lived, it got a little far-fetched at the end.

It was about life in the US right after WW2. When was it on? Maybe the late 70's or early 80's?

I thought Homefront was early 90's?:[huh] 1992 or 1994?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CherryRed said:
Unfortunately not yet.:(
I am never able to figure out why certain shows get relesed to DVD very quickly and others you are made to wait forever.:rage:

From what I've read it is often licensing issues for the music used and/or the stars of the TV show go on to be bigger stars and start demanding changes to their contract rights.

I think (and would hope) that's more the case with earlier shows, since nowadays TV producers and actors are used to the idea their show may become a hit and needed DVD-ization and write contracts with that in mind.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
carebear said:
From what I've read it is often licensing issues for the music used and/or the stars of the TV show go on to be bigger stars and start demanding changes to their contract rights.

I think (and would hope) that's more the case with earlier shows, since nowadays TV producers and actors are used to the idea their show may become a hit and needed DVD-ization and write contracts with that in mind.

I can definately see that being true. One of my favourite shows of all time, The Chris Isaak Show, will never be released on DVD because of the many many many music rights. :( He had a guest musician in every episode.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
I can definately see that being true. One of my favourite shows of all time, The Chris Isaak Show, will never be released on DVD because of the many many many music rights. :( He had a guest musician in every episode.

Chris Isaak is great. I believe he even played Roy Orbison on "American Dreams" I think it was. Roy Orbison is my favorite. Chris is/was a huge fan too, fairly obvious through his music.
Anyway, there's a rumor that future releases of CSI Las Vegas will not feature the theme song since The Who's licensing fee for "Who Are You" is supposedly outrageous.

Novella

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
I heart Benji Schwimmer!!!

Benji was such a cutie- he had so much personality on stage! But I have to admit I was rooting for Travis to win.:eek:

All these posts have reminded me of all sorts of shows that I wish were on my (already too long) list like If Walls Could Talk, Early Edition, The Pretender and Gilligan's Island.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Forgot about the Pretender. At least they have DVD's out for it. I'll have to add it to my list. Early Edition is not out on DVD nor does CBS have any intention to putting it on DVD. Still airing reruns though, on PAXtv, which changed its name to "i" The Independing Channel or something like that. This thread was a great idea. Reminded of some really good shows. Another guilty pleasure of mine was "Touched by an Angel."

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, music rights on DVDs are a sore spot. I got "Crime Story" from Netflix, and was looking forward to the great chase scene set to Ray Charles' "What'd I Say?" and the no-goodniks changed the song! I backed up the DVD player, cued up my .MP3 of the song on my computer, and let it rip.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I'm not a regular T.V. watcher (movies? certainly. Television? not as much)

1. Coupling (an absolute riot and an easy first choice for me)
2. Jeeves and Wooster
3. Firefly!
4. Southpark (I know it's foul, but it's just too funny for me to ignore!)
5. I love the new Dr. Who!
6. Cheers, when it was on. I saw all of them, and back then would not miss it.
7. I liked Star Trek NG, but none after that.
8. I have to second Fawlty Towers!
9. Antique Roadshow, (which I wish I got to see more often)
10. Black Adder

We tend to watch DVD's of series' more than the shows when they are coming out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner