Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zirbenschnaps

griffer

Practically Family
Five years ago my wife and I spent a week of our honeymoon in the Styria (Steiermark) region of Austria in a little town called Grundlsee.

While we were there we, enchanted by the locals and adopted by the one open restaurant, they plied us with their local moonshine, Zirbenschaps.

I called it moonshine because the only places I saw it for sale, it was Hausgemacht (homemade). No labels, just random bottles filled with a red schapps.

The local restaurant owner introduced us to it from his own stock. It is a a fruit brandy macerated with pine fruit from a particular tree that grows way up in the mountains. Called a stone pine, the fruit is harvested by hand before it dries to a pine cone.

The color is a beautiful dark red, clear. The taste is a wonderful refreshing pine.

It is Christmas in a bottle.

It is an Alpine spring.

And for us, it is our honeymoon.

When I got back to the states, I exhausted all me resources- German friends, liquor stores, wine importers, and the internet- searching for this elusive balm.

Thanks to the discussions here on German hats which led me off in search of Austria tracht, I stumbled on an Austrian site that sold it.

4 bottles on order, but my search was reinvigorated. I searched again and discovered, beginning last year, some buzz on gourmet forums. One mentioned a product called Zirbenz being imported by a Mr. Seed. A couple clicks later and I had Eric Seed on his cell phone describing to me in detail where I could pick up bottles or have his Zirbenschaps served to me in Manhattan.

A ten minute walk later and I had the first bottle of Zirbenschaps in my hands in 5 years.

My wife knows about the order I placed, but she has no idea I will actually come home with a bottle tonight!

Thanks interwebs, thanks Fedoralounge, thank Mr. Seed and thank you Manhattan!

http://www.zirbenz.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21