Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 1/2'' brims?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
An old acquaintance of mine, comedian George Carl. He used many hats in his career - all open crowned soft hats with a skinny brim, ususally curled:

GeorgeCarl.jpg

It's hard to think of a better way to use a 1-1/2" brim ;)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
If you can grab it with two fingers, it's a stingy; if you need one hand, it's a brim; if you need two hands, it's a Joao!
AH AH lol

An old acquaintance of mine, comedian George Carl. He used many hats in his career - all open crowned soft hats with a skinny brim, ususally curled:

View attachment 48337

It's hard to think of a better way to use a 1-1/2" brim ;)
This looks terrible to me. Better to wear a Fez.

Definitely a comedic look to be remembered, and that's what George wanted, I'll bet. Well done!

Yeah, well our OP probably isn't after the comedic look. For him, I'd suggest looking for some older shots from the early 60s when these brims were popular. Perhaps he can glean something from that.

Googling "stingy brim fedora" got me a few relevant hits.

Here's the good Dr. King and wife with a stingy, might not be 1 1/2," though.

Picture21.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Sorry, but I couldn't resist posting the pic of George Carl. Personally I really don't like the 60s' hat style(s) - and never did.

Brims shorter than 2" rarely please my eyes. Once in a while I see one I like here on TFL, though. We have a member, who always wear stingy fedoras or flat caps. I haven't seen him for a while, and I'm so embarrassed, that I don't remember his name or nick right now ... he's from Georgia if I remember right. Anyway, he's among the few, that I think look good in a stingy.

I know this is a strictly personal preference ... a bit like choosing between lamb and pork. My neighbor may very well have the opposite opinion :)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was watching the Maysle Brothers' documentary of the Beatles' first US tour (1964) last night on Youtube and noted the large number of hats on men's heads, particularly those of the reporters. Nearly all of them were sporting those little 1' or 1 1'2" brims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred