Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 1/2'' brims?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
In the first three decades of the 20th century, the brim widths varied a lot. During the 30s many were shorter (2" - 2-1/2"), but you will also find hats with wider brims. During the 40s wider brims got popular, and we see a lot of 2-1/2" - 2-3/4".

As with other fashion fads, the "rules" were never bullet proof. Just like today a lot of people didn't follow fashion rules.

I've even heard, that places exist on the web, where weird, stubborn old men meet to discuss, show and wear ancient fashion objects. I'm told that these morons run around in their parents and grand parents hats without any respect of contemporary fashion and habits! Nothing less than Appaling!!! ;)

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
In the first three decades of the 20th century, the brim widths varied a lot. During the 30s many were shorter (2" - 2-1/2"), but you will also find hats with wider brims. During the 40s wider brims got popular, and we see a lot of 2-1/2" - 2-3/4".

Judging from movies, television shows, and photographs of the time, as well as "vintage" hats from those years, The Dane is quite correct.
I would further expand on that by adding that generally brims further decreased in width to about 2.25" to 2" from the mid-1950s to 2" or less through the latter 1960s, by which time hats were seriously going out of style.
Exceptions to the above would be hats worn in the "mid-western" U.S.A., particularly rural areas and the entire state of Texas, where wider brimmed hats still prevail to this day.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Yeah, well our OP probably isn't after the comedic look. For him, I'd suggest looking for some older shots from the early 60s when these brims were popular. Perhaps he can glean something from that.

Googling "stingy brim fedora" got me a few relevant hits.

Here's the good Dr. King and wife with a stingy, might not be 1 1/2," though.

View attachment 48341

What size do you think Dr. King's brim is?
I ask because I'm looking for a vintage stingy...Reason being that I want to wear a hat, and I think a stingy (classic fedora, not one of those hipster fedoras) would look sleeker and more modern, and would fit with a more casual sense of style (I don't wear a suit at all as I don't have an occupation which calls for it).

What size do you think Dr. King's brim is?
I ask because I'm looking for a vintage stingy...Reason being that I want to wear a hat, and I think a stingy (classic fedora, not one of those hipster fedoras) would look sleeker and more modern, and would fit with a more casual sense of style (I don't wear a suit at all as I don't have an occupation which calls for it).

I'm thinking that's probably about 2". Those are all over eBay for cheap. A Lot depends on face shape when it comes to brim sizes too. A short brim will look different on a round face than a thin long face. Plus it's a matter of taste. Don't overthink the brim size. Get something that looks and feels right for you. Page through the What Hat are you Wearing Today thread. You will see many examples of various brims paired with all types of attire. Not all of us wear suits, either.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I'm thinking that's probably about 2". Those are all over eBay for cheap. A Lot depends on face shape when it comes to brim sizes too. A short brim will look different on a round face than a thin long face. Plus it's a matter of taste. Don't overthink the brim size. Get something that looks and feels right for you. Page through the What Hat are you Wearing Today thread. You will see many examples of various brims paired with all types of attire. Not all of us wear suits, either.

I tend to wear button downs and slacks or black jeans.

I tend to wear button downs and slacks or black jeans.

TBH, I'm the wrong person to ask. I buy hats that I like and wear 'em. I wear 'em with everything and don't give a nod to whether I have the right brim width for the occasion or my manner of dress.

I just try to make sure my hat matches my socks and underwear. I'm a "big picture" guy, LOL.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
TBH, I'm the wrong person to ask. I buy hats that I like and wear 'em. I wear 'em with everything and don't give a nod to whether I have the right brim width for the occasion or my manner of dress.

I just try to make sure my hat matches my socks and underwear. I'm a "big picture" guy, LOL.
From now on, when you wear a brown hat I will be thinking "Please be the socks."
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore