Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

100+ vintage fabric swatches...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Dating from 1959. Recently won this on the 'Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300283556344&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

I'll be getting it in the mail soon and will scan some of the more interesting swatches.

fabricswatches003.jpg

fabricswatches.jpg

fabricswatches001.jpg

fabricswatches002.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
It came today. Fast shipping...

Wow, absolutely amazing. The suitcase is rough but everything inside (documents, swatches, etc.) is in perfect condition.

Tons of atomic fleck, tons of strange and unusual fabrics, tons and tons of it. I'm betting there's around 130-150 different swatches. Most are pretty light weight seeing how they are dated spring/summer 1959.

I will post as many interesting swatches and documents as I can as fast as I can. Simply amazing. I'm blown away by it.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Fabric swatches

I'd be curious to see how much or how little they changed from my set, made in 1943. Of course mine is for women's suits, but I bet they crossover a lot.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Warning: large scans ahead!

The first of many. Please note that the scanning process left a disturbance on some of the swatches but not all. It's unfortunate these scans don't capture the real beauty and details of the fabric.

Also, it's interesting to find 'old fashion' fabric like that seen in the 1930s and '40s mixed in with newer "atomic fleck" and similar fabrics. For the older customers, no doubt.

001-28.jpg

002-25.jpg

003-21.jpg

004-18.jpg

005-13.jpg

006-19.jpg

007-12.jpg

008-11.jpg

009-9.jpg

010-9.jpg

More in a couple hours!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Interesting fact. Many loungers might be surprised to discover that vintage swatches can be quite valuable. SO I have heard, a select group of experts maintain many swatches and sell or loan them to mills and designers. Just as designers will buy vintage pieces for copying elements, mills will do the same. Apparently, it is a lucrative business for this group.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
Interesting fact. Many loungers might be surprised to discover that vintage swatches can be quite valuable. SO I have heard, a select group of experts maintain many swatches and sell or loan them to mills and designers. Just as designers will buy vintage pieces for copying elements, mills will do the same. Apparently, it is a lucrative business for this group.

I wouldn't doubt that it's quite a lucrative business. I can see why someone trying to create reproductions of vintage fabrics would want to find samples of the real deal. Vintage fabrics are so completely different from modern ones.

And we continue:
011-10.jpg

012-10.jpg

013-8.jpg

014-6.jpg

015-7.jpg

016-7.jpg

017-5.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up

035-2.jpg

036-2.jpg

037-3.jpg

038-2.jpg

039-2.jpg

040-3.jpg

And that's all folks! For the swatches, anyways. All the rest that I didn't show are plain gabardines, worsted wools and flannels. I will scan those if you request, but I'm leaving them for now.

I'll start scanning the documents in the next few days.

Cheers!
Will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner