Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920's - 40's Halloween music, input please

Blackjack

One Too Many
As a carrere musician I've recorded three albums of Halloween tinged music for a label in Chicago under the name the Moon-Rays. We are considering doing a fourth CD of classic Halloween music from the 20's through the 40's in the original arrangements and style, most of which has never been re-recorded before. What I would like input on is would you folks as vintage lovers have an interest in such a project or would you say why buy re-makes when the originals are out there, even if well done.. In the rock and surf world they will buy anything new, but the classic swing and jazz fans are a little more traditional. These project are quite costly and it's always good to feel out the market before taking one on. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Starius

Practically Family
I think its a great idea.

Taking the time to find all the original versions can be a lot of work, so a collection of such songs on a new album would be a nice alternative, I think.

Chas

One Too Many
"Mr. Ghost Goes To Town" ~ (The Dorsey Brothers) Dean Mora will have this chart. Ask him.

That's the only one I can think of at the moment. Funny. You would expect to have recordings of that sort of thing. There are scads of Halloween-inspired 50s stuff, but not much 20s-40s.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Did you do this one yet?
Many artists have covered it since it was written in the 1934, a couple of the versions do sound creepy.

Only trouble is, do you guys do vocals at all? All the tunes on your MySpace sound great, but they're instrument-only.
I feel this song would need a voice in there to convey the lyrics.

The House Is Haunted (by the echo of your last goodbye)
Lyrics by Billy Rose

The house is haunted
By the echo of your last goodbye
The house is haunted
By the memories that refuse to die
I can't get away from the vision that brings
Intimate glimpses of intimate things
A voice in my heart like a torch singer sings
I wonder who's kissing you now

The house is haunted
By the echo of your favourite song
The place is cluttered up
With memories that have lived too long
Much too long
The ceilings are white but the shadows are black
The ghost in my heart says
You'll never come back
The house is haunted

I'll never forget you

The house is haunted

Blackjack

One Too Many
We have several vocalists that we work with, male and female. To answer your question no, this is still in the planning phase. We have a good idea of which songs we want to cover and what sound were going for. If all goes well it would be out before the fall of this year.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Well,

If you have a good idea of what selections you want to use why not tell us your intended playlist and then ask the question.

There is a wide array of titles you could have there, unless we know what you want to re-make it's quite difficult to say if it would be a good list of tunes for that 20s - 40s theme.

I however do understand why you might be a little paranoid to reveal it - if you're worried about musician copycats lurking in the dark.

[huh]

Blackjack

One Too Many
RetroToday said:
I however do understand why you might be a little paranoid to reveal it - if you're worried about musician copycats lurking in the dark.

[huh]

Yes, who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men...oh wait, YOU DO!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Halloween CD's

Is there a website or link for the exisiting albums? I found a couple different Moon-Rays out there. But it sounds like a great idea to me. Echoing an earlier post - you make, I buy!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
It sounds like a neat project...but....

If you know some Halloween songs, share them with us![/B]

It's not nice to hold out on us, sir!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Well, not necessarily. People who would buy your album would want to track the originals down themselves. Being that Halloween is my favorite holiday, I would love to know what songs these are. I actually find it a bit irritating that you have this knowledge but that I will be forced to do the research myself. Of course, that's your choice, but I find it a bit contrary to how I have come to regard FL as a source for knowledge that is readily shared.

Best of luck in your project!

Blackjack

One Too Many
Sorry, I'm far from trying to be secretive or difficult but when a studio takes on projects like these there is quite a cost involved and it usually takes six months or so from start to finish. The people fronting the money don't take kindly to putting the cart before the horse as they say. All I'm trying to do here is get a feel for interest in this "type" of project.
Songs dealing with Halloween, ghosts, spooks, whatever have a long history going back to the blues artists of the early 1900's and can be googled easily on the web.

Blackjack

One Too Many
iT'S OFFICIAL AND WRITTEN STONE. I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS ONE!!!

skad.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran