Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s Burtons Suit - Harris Tweed

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
$T2eC16ZHJGYE9noojcFSBQL13NNfLg~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16hHJHgE9n0yHGLBBQL12w5BgQ~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16JHJHwE9n8igu5-BQL13CsgGw~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16RHJI!E9qSO8mmlBQL13K(rhw~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Harris-Tweed-Suit-tailors-date-label-1921-/261084465430?pt=UK_Men_s_Vintage_Clothing&hash=item3cc9d8c916

This suit is a real survivor. The vendor claims that it has no moth damage. They have a low starting price on the suit (£19.99) - most UK ebay listings for genuine vintage suits like this start much, much higher.

I think will fetch a good price.

P.S. It is the same vendor that Mario bought the brown trousers and waistcoat from recently.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That's a good point. I didn't look that closely. We should be able to get a clearer date from the label. Somewhere on the FL is a discussion about when the label changed from 'Burton Ltd' to 'Burton the Tailor of Taste Ltd'. I'll try to find it.

Regardless of date, it looks like a splendid suit.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
here's the same brown Burton's label from a jacket of mine which is most likely mid 40s:

L1040714.jpg

there was a thread a while ago about Burton's labels and they're not ideal for dating garments because (as you say) old labels may have been used later.
here's the paper label inside the pocket:

L1040715.jpg

notice that the rotary number could also be read as a date... if you weren't aware of the age of the actual jacket. the suit above looks late 30s to me.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I have compared the Harris label to examples I found on the web. It seems to be the same as a 1940s example, whilst a 1930s harris label has additional writing around the edges. That said, I have minimal knowledge of tweed jackets.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If it's in reasonable nick, then I'm going to have a go for this one as it would make a lovely autumn/winter piece. Not sure he's got his measurements quite right though.

PS: - Do you ever feel that some of these sellers 'don't know' how to SELL/MARKET an item using photographs..? Those pictures remind me of the scarecrow in Wizard of Oz and 'really' do 'not' do the selling of this ensemble justice.[huh]

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
PS: - Do you ever feel that some of these sellers 'don't know' how to SELL/MARKET an item using photographs..? Those pictures remind me of the scarecrow in Wizard of Oz and 'really' do 'not' do the selling of this ensemble justice.[huh]

i find photos of suits on other people really off-putting (if i'm going to buy the suit that is; not if someone is showing their own suit) and these ones are particularly bad. on the plus side you might get the suit for less than if it was photographed really well. ;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This vendor is always the same: someone with long hair (and usually a beard) stands on a wall or in a bare brick room whilst wearing some form of comedy shoe-slipper hybrid, wearing clothes that do not fit.
That said, they do seem to keep finding some interesting items (such as the trousers & waistcoat that Mario recently purchased). I always look at their listings - one day they will have something nice for me.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Not sure he's got his measurements quite right though.

That makes two of us. Two days ago, I asked him: "I'm trying to reconcile your stated jacket size of 38 with your armpit-to-armpit measurement of 23" (which would normally work out to about a size 42). Which is correct, please? Also, what is the waist of the jacket, please?"

This morning, he replied: "Hello, its a 38 chest - sorry for any confussion. Cheers Tony"

Frustrating . . .

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Based on the photographs (in which the fit seems fairly good), and comparing it to the same person modelling the waistcoat and trouser combination bought by Mario a couple of weeks back (which was advertised as a 38), I'd say the 38 measurement is the correct one.

A couple of weeks back he also advertised some vintage trousers with a 44 inch waist. When i checked in the same listing the trousers were described as 36.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
... and look at his answer to this question!!!!!

Q: Hello, What is the circumpherance of the trousers at the bottom?
A: Hello, the color is slightly darker its not a stain it looks like the oppersite to sun fade, quite strange, however its not that noticeable, look carefully at the photos and you will see what I mean

Well, to be honest, that's a pretty damn stupid question. The info is in the listing. I wouldn't bother even answering that one, except maybe to give a spelling lesson.

... and look at his answer to this question!!!!!

Q: Hello, What is the circumpherance of the trousers at the bottom?
A: Hello, the color is slightly darker its not a stain it looks like the oppersite to sun fade, quite strange, however its not that noticeable, look carefully at the photos and you will see what I mean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy