Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s - fashion with fun, whimsy and chic

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Your profile is strikingly beautiful *gasp*
NapierDay1Ingprofile.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
Mojito said:
Olive Bleu, how responsive do you find your stylist? Do they ever resist what you're asking for when you're having your bob shaped?

My stylist is wonderfully responsive..and will do whatever i say...eventually.:D He will always say something like,"i think that will look wonderful on you" initially, then make some chatter and a few cautious snips, and then say at least 14 times.."ok, so before i go any further, are you SURE you want me to keep going?"..but i always get my way in the end. which is why I have stuck with him.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Alot of those 'in the know' advocate selling heavily beaded 20s dresses now whilst they are still in good condition since the fabric can be so delicate. But if it's your thing, why would you want to sell your beauties?

As for whether the prices are going down - [huh] I'm finding 30s dresses are holding strong price-wise. Some even seem to be going for more! Bad news for me. :(

Mojito

One Too Many
Cherry Lips and Tomasso, those were certainly in the league of "made my day...and probably my week" comments! You won't see many profile pics of me as I've always thought my nose and chin a bit "strong", to put it kindly. I'm not tremendously hung up over it, and even have a certain fondess for the nose (it's a lot like my grandmother's...sort of a constant reminder of her).

Olive Bleu, I think that caution is preferable - also someone willing to listen to you. One of the better cuts I had before this last one was from a nervous young woman, probably hardly out of her apprenticeship, who consulted me before every snip. Took forever, but she did what I wanted...a mm at a time. And one of my worst experiences was with a highly experienced, rather "artistic" stylist, who from the moment I sat in the chair was trying to override my wishes. In the end, after I thought we'd finally outlined the whole concept, he suddenly got a demon light in his eyes and started *spiking up the back* with product, telling me how much I was going to "love" it. As he fetched the mirror to show the back, I tentatively turned me head to the side, saw some of what he'd done, and realised I looked like my friend's 17 year old son with the latest cut.

I can rather see the logic in selling off the collection if it were an investment, Miss Sis, although I'd have held off until the current economic climate changed if possible. The Chinoise dress I bought last weekend was part of a collection of textiles put together over twenty years by a gay couple who appreciate fine art (they also collect porcelein) purely as art. They had some other beautiful pieces as well. Thought not strictly investment, their perspective was clearly not like a vintage clothing wearer. And the beaded 20s dresses certainly have a more finite lifespan than most, particularly if one intends to wear them. Almost all vintage does - it's just a matter of the factors that go into how long.

I think there is a drop, Laura - although the best pieces are still going to be expensive. I know even some of the high end details have knocked a bit off their best quality gowns.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Looking through eBay, there seems to be a drop when it comes to 20's dresses. I'm not a connoisseur when it comes to 20's dresses, so couldn't tell if they were top quality, though. However, I'm thinking this might be a good time to start a collection.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I got a new 20s dress! Yay! I had been dreaming about it constantly since I saw it and I'm so glad to add it to my collection!
20sd01.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Oh Lauren - that is just *gorgeous*! I love early 20s, with the waistline not all that far below the natural waist. The gold trim has an almost Byzantine feel to it in the pic. Looks almost like there's a pleated overskirt? Can't wait to see a photo of you in it!

Mojito

One Too Many
Oooops - Lauren, is that you in the dress? My goodness, you look so perfect! Love it all - the accessories, everything!

P

Paul

Mojito said:
Oooops - Lauren, is that you in the dress? My goodness, you look so perfect! Love it all - the accessories, everything!

I have to say i was thinking that also Mojito, and agree with what else you said.

I will also add for me at least it's come as a plesent shock and surprise to see you wearing the 20's:eusa_clap

P

Paul

cherry lips said:
Your profile is strikingly beautiful *gasp*
NapierDay1Ingprofile.jpg

mind you I still cannot get over this photo of you either Mojito, today it takes a lot of couage to have your hair cut into a true vintage style, just shows the wonderful dedication you have for the 20's :eusa_clap

P

Paul

Miss Sis said:
:eek:fftopic: but, Paul, have you not seen Lauren wearing Edwardian or Victorian outfits? She collects AND looks great in all those styles.

Her wedding dress was Edwardian style and looked fantastic.

Oh yes I have and agree once again , it's more that a lot of ladies sometimes say they do not like the 20's as much as other periods , i like seeing vintage worn any period really but it's just the 20's which I personlly see as a special decade and other sometimes in general do not which i think a great shame as it really has more to offer than the fancy costume take on the decade which you see too much of these days.

Seeing Lauren like this is great also.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I know what you mean. I love seeing proper outfits rather than a fancy dress take on a look, which is why I love contemporary photos to get the detail right.

Some people just seem to have the face for an era, and Lauren is lucky enough to suit rather alot of eras! :eek:fftopic: AGAIN, but I suit 30s and 40s, and a friend thinks I'd make a good 'Gibson Girl' in early 1900s, but my love is really 30s styles.

I'm dominating the thread without adding much today. I should go and try to get some pics of a few 20s bits I have instead!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Good as my word, I have finally taken some pics of my 1920s things. Now I am not a collector of 20s stuff in particular. I just happen to have few bits that fit with doing early 1930s impressions or, in the case of the dress, I just really liked it and the price was right!

The first item, a rayon-type machine knit dress. The colours in the pic are a bit off. It is a lovely combination of gunmetal grey and rust. I bought this from a German friend and she bought it at a market in Munich. It has no labels of any kind, so I assume it's European. It has been shortened under the tuck so it must have been quite long originally. Bit creased as I dragged it straight out of a drawer to photograph:

Dressfront.jpg

A side view showing the covered buttons on the belt:

20sdressside.jpg

Can anyone give me a date on this? I'm thinking earlier half of the 20s, although I haven't looked into it at all. This is going on the fact that it is quite long and would have been longer previously.

Next, a piece I love. A cream edge to edge coat with lovely stitch details on the collar, overlaid cuff detail and inset back. I wore this with a pale green early 30s style dress and a pale peach picture hat to a friend's wedding a few years back. Sorry the details are a bit hard to see - my camera isn't great.

Coatfront.jpg

Coatback.jpg

Sleeve detail:

Coatsleeve.jpg

Next, a late 20s machine knit rayon jumper. It's longer than the pics show but looks better blousoned like this. The cuffs are very long and designed to be turned back as in the pic. The colours are great. I really need something to wear with this!

20sjumperfront.jpg

20sJumperback.jpg

Lastly, a very Coco Chanel influenced cardigan. I got this from a Swiss friend. It is quite small - I think it would look more 20s if it were larger, but it doesn't matter to me. I think this is very late 20s, possibly early 30s. Great belted back. Tres sporty!

Cococardiganfront.jpg

Cococardiganback.jpg

I also had a very early 20s hat but I sold it as I had nothing to wear it with. Oh, and it looked like an oversized flowerpot on my head. :D

P

Paul

Miss Sis I no expert with dress date with your gunmetal grey and rust one if you say it has been shorten then I say it was originally made say 24/25 then altered as the hem line went up 26/27 the drop waist in my view is typical of that that period a little more fitted earlier.
If I totally wrong then that fine :eusa_doh:
I do also like your coat. It's nice to here you have worn it out and about.

I also think that 1928/ 29 tended to be a mix of what we all call 30's fashion today and so there was im my opinion very much a cross over of styles been worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats