Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s - fashion with fun, whimsy and chic

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Mojito, Paul, and Miss Sis, thank you so much! :eek: I really love so many different eras, and I forget that hairstyle and makeup can "transform" you into something different! lol Miss Sis, I agree, you would look FABULOUS in Edwardian styles! Your face shape is perfect for the Gibson hairdo! Even WWI era I think would suit you to a "t", and you're so spot on with 30s I'm sure you'd do it right!

The dress is black silk with pleating at the bodice front and back and at the over skirt and the lower part of the sleeves. I got it for a good price because the shoulders were splitting because of the hanger they displayed it on, but the rest of the dress was structurally sound. There was a lot of hem in the bottom of the dress, so I used it to patch the shoulders and I'm thinking of possibly adding trim over the seam lines since I have some 20s gold lame lace laying in my stash of trims. I thought about it all week and lamented leaving it, so had to go back for it yesterday! The necklace I got years and years ago on a road trip to the midwest. It's a friendship necklace with initials in it and LOVE spelled out in in it. The hat I also found yesterday for only $20! We were at a swap meet and found some hats last weekend and there was the ever eternal "you should have been here yesterday" from the seller. We're pretty sure we found the stash of hats that were purchased at the same antique store I found the dress. Hooray! Miss Sis, I actually found one I thought you would have liked, but it was so faded it was sad :( I only got this one as the rest were not in good condition or overpriced. Funny how sometimes newer hats are more expensive... maybe sellers don't see older ones enough to know what they are!

I have to say that because of Mojito's posts of her fabulous dresses I have much more of an appreciation for 20s styles. I don't particularly like the "boyish" look of the 20s, but so much of the stuff posted here is so feminine and beautiful! I love tailored lines like that of Miss Sis's wardrobe as well! I used to put a blanket on it and say "I don't like the 20s" but I've found that that's not at all true! The early and late 20s are definitely my favorite styles of this decade and I just adore the embroidery and exotic influence of this period! And I LOVE the tailored suits of the early 20s. I have some more pics Matt took for me last night, but they are not clear quality, as we took them with no flash at night time and didn't set up lights. But the detail got washed out with the flash! I'll try to post more tonight.
Miss Sis, that knit jumper with the ivory cuffs and collar is amazing! I bet that's really rare. I LOVE that. And that jacket with the amazing top stitching! *swoon*

P

Paul

It very interesting to here why or how you found the 20's Lauren.

I agree about the boyish look it's not really that great in my view , think it's over played a little in brief reports about 20's fashions, saying that I have seen photos of ladies wearing what can only be describes as men's styles even if cut slightly different and smaller.

I do think the 20's were a very strange period and complicated to understand I sort of given up and just go with the flow which in a way I think ladies did back then especially toward the end of the decade.

I look very much look foward to seeing more 20's from you Lauren.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Lauren, I thought you were a mannequin!:eek: Now that's perfection.
20sd01.jpg

Lauren

Thank you!
Here's a few hats and my favorite suit. These are probably in the 1918-1922 rage, like most of my stuff of this period, so may not be strictly 20s but I hope that's ok! The hat with the roses is old store stock and still has it's price tag of 16,50 inside!
20sd04.jpg

20sd05.jpg

20sd06.jpg

20sd07.jpg

20sd08.jpg

Brooksie

One Too Many
Beautful stuff gals and great hats and dresses Lauren.

Here is an authentic 1920's dress from my collection, this dress is very plain but I like it, I really like the drop waist it has. (which you can not see because I am sitting)

2H9Y1721.jpg

I will share more later.

P

Paul

Lauren great photos again I love the outfit in the second from the top it's fabulous. Brooksie gosh I like your dress very much also .
I keep on saying this seeing vintage fashions worn today as they were intended to be seen is just so beautiful.

Thanks to every one for shareing there photos

Mojito

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Thank you!
Here's a few hats and my favorite suit. These are probably in the 1918-1922 rage, like most of my stuff of this period, so may not be strictly 20s but I hope that's ok! The hat with the roses is old store stock and still has it's price tag of 16,50 inside!
20sd04.jpg
Not recognising you in the photo at first, I was thinking to myself what a good job was done by whoever dressed the mannequin/model! The woven sautoir necklace is particularly lovely, but the whole early 20s look is just so right in this picture. I'm so glad you decided to buy the gown. Like many from that period, I think it's a bit softer than some of the more strongly geometric shapes later in the decade. I love all the other pieces - particularly the suit - and just love this hat! It reminds me of the "propellor" cloches from the first half of the 20s - a tribute to aeroplanes. I've only ever seen one outside a book, and kicked myself afterwards for not buying it.

Love your knitwear, Miss Sis - that's an area where my collection is lacking. I really like some of the cardigan looks from the decade. The dress has the most striking colouring, even if the photo isn't quite true to it. First half, yes. I'll check sources to see if I can offer anything more specific.

Brooksie, again, you suit the look of the era - the colours in that photo are particularly attractive, but if it were in black and white or sepia it would look like a period shot. Sometimes those simple unadorned but beautifully cut dresses are the loveliest.

Thanks for the comment on my hair, Paul. I'm having to grow it out at the moment - I'm appearing in a documentary (on a subject other than vintage!) that will be filming later this month, so I've let it grow out a bit into something a bit softer. Can't wait to get it back to the shorter length.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Beautiful styles and photos. Hand Cherry lips not pointed it out, I would've thought it was a mannequin in that one photo.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Thanks for the compliments everyone. Mojito - I do have a black and white pic of me in this dress but I chose the other one because it showed more of the details such as the pleats and the neck line. Here is the black and white pic.

2H9Y1897_02bw.jpg

This thread is very inspirational. Thanks for sharing everyone.

P

Paul

Brilliant photo Brooksie apart from the dress I like the shoes they work so well and your captured the atmosphere in the photo so well just laying back with out care in the world 20's style.

This thread just gets better and better every time I take a look.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Mojito said:
Not recognising you in the photo at first, I was thinking to myself what a good job was done by whoever dressed the mannequin/model!

Ha ha! Now I look at it, I can see why people thought it was a mannequin. I have had this myself in life! I kid you not, I've been standing somewhere in vintage, moved and had gasps from people who then say "I thought you were a mannequin!" I was like "What????" I think it is the whole look that throws people.

Mojito said:
Love your knitwear, Miss Sis - that's an area where my collection is lacking. I really like some of the cardigan looks from the decade. The dress has the most striking colouring, even if the photo isn't quite true to it. First half, yes. I'll check sources to see if I can offer anything more specific.

Thanks Mojito. I'd be interested in a date for the dress. I'd not really thought about it at all before I posted it. Funny that most of the bits I have are knitwear, but then I really like knitwear. :) I would like a really long 20s cardigan with a collar and belt, but I have many other knitting projects before I get onto that.

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Just about caught up again with this thread- it’s been a while since I last posted. What a lot I have missed too!
Miss Sis Your 20’s knitteds are just.. Well, quite honestly divine!:D I’ve never seen anything like it in my travels (only in photos and knitting patterns!).
The dress is extremely elegant and I love those colours together. It has an air of late teens- anyone else feel the same or am I making up costume history here?! Otherwise I would say early twenties. Not much help am I! Sorry- I’ll leave this up to the experts.;)

Lauren your collection is amazing and you pull of every era too- very few people can.
Most people have an era that their face/body suit best, so you are a lucky girl Lauren!

When I have time I’ll dig out some more of my collection

Hats x

Lauren

Thanks a bunch :D I have more pics to post later, but not for a bit.

Brooksie, your dress is so pretty! You look lovely in 20s styles!

Mary

Practically Family
Miss Sis said:
Ha ha! Now I look at it, I can see why people thought it was a mannequin. I have had this myself in life! I kid you not, I've been standing somewhere in vintage, moved and had gasps from people who then say "I thought you were a mannequin!" I was like "What????" I think it is the whole look that throws people.

lol This is hilarious!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats