Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
1920:
EdinburghEveningNews-Saturday24July1920_zpseb4c650c.jpg

WesternTimes-Friday07May1920_zps42435e63.jpg

EveningTelegraph-Monday08March1920_zps67b05a9e.jpg

EveningTelegraph-Wednesday21April1920_zpsd075eab9.jpg

WesternTimes-Friday09July1920_zpsd57c0234.jpg

EveningTelegraph-Friday12March1920_zps1938870c.jpg

DundeeCourier-Tuesday20January1920_zps5e04a5a0.jpg

EdinburghEveningNews-Friday10September1920_zpsd955084a.jpg

EveningTelegraph-Monday14June1920_zpsaa64123e.jpg

EveningTelegraph-Monday17May1920_zps9cabe747.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
i think it's the spats. they look too dressy for that outfit (and they draw the eye down too much).

Although, looking at the adverts I posted over the weekend, the shorter trousers worn with spats appears to have been common (at least in the earlier part of the decade).

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, i wasn't meaning in a 'period correct' way; i was meaning 'to my eye' they look too dressy and distract the eye. i think spats already looked anachronistic at the time the photo was taken.

Barmey

One of the Regulars
Never worn spats, but I reckon I might. I think they have to be cut very well and worn in a subtle contrast with the boots and the suit. Of course they will make you look old fashioned but I'm not too afraid of that.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
as a note aside.... here is this Le Corbusier inspired Design... "Taking a nod from one of architecture’s greats the Corneliani man for Fall/Winter 2011 is an interpretation of the Swiss architect and designer Le Corbusier’s timeless elegance and the ‘talking jacket".

ok.... that was it .... now carry on please :)

This photo is a perfect example of everything wrong with modern tailoring. Although the overall look is a nice attempt at the old days, the trousers are far too long with too low a waist, the jacket is too tight making the x-phenomenon appear, and the button stance on the jacket and waistcoat seem befuddled.

The overcoat is quite nice though and almost saves the whole thing. Almost.

ottawa_adam

One of the Regulars
Interesting observations, G&T. After reading your post, I found myself having to consciously look for the waistcoat, as my eyes kept getting fixated on the exposed shirt below the jacket buttons. I agree that trousers are designed to be worn way too low nowadays, and this fashion significantly alters balance of body proportions.

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Never worn spats, but I reckon I might. I think they have to be cut very well and worn in a subtle contrast with the boots and the suit. Of course they will make you look old fashioned but I'm not too afraid of that.

these won't make you look old fashioned..... leather and buckles.....2013 type of spats.

or these

or even these

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Last one is nice... suit jacket (with apparently too short sleeves) worn with casual flannels.
But that dreaded popped collar. :eek:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
a friend of mine purchased this mid 20s suit which some of you will remember was on US ebay a couple of months ago:

DSCF6707_zps181fc07d.jpg

turns out it did have a maker's label after all, sewn into the trousers:

photo_zps1d25feb2.jpg

Clifford Street is just off Savile Row.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany