Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A couple of years ago, who'd have thought there be more discussions of pre-1930 suits than any other period here on the FL?

How things have changed.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes. I think some TV series and the sydney mugshots helped to raise some interest.
Plus a lot of 30s-40s people left the Lounge. There is some of them on Facebook now. But even there the 1920s get more attention.
"People come, people go. Nothing ever happens."

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I think it may have to do with 30-40's clothes being widely discussed here already.
The older stuff provides occasion to find hitherto less noticed details and therefore new discussions.

Flat Foot Floey

Jack Trevor, 1928-9:

jack_trevor_20s_zps05f9d675.jpg
I like this one. Looks like a perfect suit/outfit. Maybe there are no odd details, bells and whistles but I don't think it is boring.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
HBK: you are right about female fashions from the twenties. I cannot abide the flapper look.

depends if you only mean 'flapper' as beaded dresses and headbands. there was much more to flapper fashion, and it was more of an attitude than a specific dress code.
these young ladies are all 'flappers':

flappers_zps56dbe7ee.jpg

Louise Brooks was a flapper:

tumblr_mouh84WPcU1qzh3cjo1_400_zps044f5809.png

as were the wearers of more 'mannish' styles:

plus_fours_zpsd5bbe92d.jpg

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

The illustration and the last photo show the influence of sportswear on the gender thingy. Having time for leisure did change quite a few things.

I find it interesting that at the same time as the "mannish" styles for flappers the men's suits were also more feminine (small shoulders, nipped waist). I wonder if this was a coincidence.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I find it interesting that at the same time as the "mannish" styles for flappers the men's suits were also more feminine (small shoulders, nipped waist). I wonder if this was a coincidence.

i think it was something 'in the air'. the late teens and early 20s idealised a type of youthful, pretty boy (some theorists think it was in part a lament for the lost young men of WW1).
then there were men in eye-make up and powder for silent cinema. and (slightly later) there were the gender-bending 'bright young things' in England. but really i think it was all just the spirit of the times; the loosening of morals that came with the jazz age.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
depends if you only mean 'flapper' as beaded dresses and headbands.

I'm not that much of a fan of female clothing from the twenties anyway (I prefer more of a 'womanly' look, chest - waist -hips etc, a bit of sauce and swagger, you might say). I suppose I am specifically referring to the 1920s/flapper beaded dress, headband look, especially more modern reinterpretations of that look.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
i think it was something 'in the air'. the late teens and early 20s idealised a type of youthful, pretty boy (some theorists think it was in part a lament for the lost young men of WW1).
then there were men in eye-make and powder up for silent cinema. and (slightly later) there were the gender-bending 'bright young things' in England. but really i think it was all just the spirit of the times; the loosening of morals that came with the jazz age.

This is covered in Jon Savage's book 'Teenage': he refers to how the cinematic influences included men such as Rudolph Valentino, whose male fans were highly influenced by his look. It's a book that's well worth reading.

Flat Foot Floey

Quite some cool suits in the early René Clair movies

Excerpt from La Proie du Vent (1927) Look at that fabric! Beltback too.
[video=youtube_share;JcPCUIjRuY0]http://youtu.be/JcPCUIjRuY0[/video]

Flat Foot Floey

Paris qui dort (1925) is a full short movie. It's silent so never mind the french and russian title. The story is charming and there are quite some beltback / norfolk variations. HBK will love this.
[video=youtube_share;BYm4WKa4LJo]http://youtu.be/BYm4WKa4LJo[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit