Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
whacky proportions. notice that if you fastened the jacket you wouldn't see any of the waistcoat. the three buttons couldn't really get much closer.

Harold Lloyd's early 20s suits , although similar in proportion, have less extreme button stance:

ScreenShot2013-05-28at212802_zps1f9c3386.png

cpdv

One of the Regulars
I like how he's wearing it with the price tag still on haha. The film is from 1926 or 27 so it would have been obvious to the viewer that he's way out of style. But I know what I'm wearing to the jazz age lawn party this summer. I like the wacky proportions.

DamianM

Vendor
Jazz suits are whacky and are considered to be extreme examples of the time but for the sake of being extreme. They where not popular. They fall into the same category as the Rah Rah suit and the Zoot Suit. The Jazz suit influenced the Zoot suit. Sometimes kids that could not afford to get a Zoot would go into there fathers and/or Grandfathers closet and pull these suits out to wear.

cpdv

One of the Regulars
Naturally, worn by young eccentric men who liked to stand out. In other words the 1919 version of me. The more interesting the cut of the suit the better. Conservative suits are too droll. That's part of the reason the early 20s appeals to me.

DamianM

Vendor
Good luck finding one. I know of one man that has 4 full JAZZ suits. The jackets come up every couple years on ebay. But just the jacket.

I only have one suit, one jacket and a couple trousers, some knickers with matching cap+ some other caps, a stetson straw and a handfull of neckties from the early 20s.
Very difficult to come by nowadays

Last edited:

cpdv

One of the Regulars
I would love to acquire any early 20s jackets. I do have a bottle green wool from the dorr mill that I'm going to have one of our fellow loungers make me a replica based off of the brown one with pink piping that is in the jazz suit thread. Personally I opted for purple piping.

cpdv

One of the Regulars
I don't have nearly enough cash to compete with the Japanese fellows on eBay. Its rather dissapointing to see your reasonable bid go up by $700 in the last 10 seconds.

DamianM

Vendor
Tell me about it. at the moment they are snatching anything they can from the early 20s. Boardwalk empire craze.
I have a pattern of a jacket that I am in the process of making. With this wool that is from the 1920s
A diamond twill wool in contrasting checkers. I have yards and yards of it. I made a couple of caps from it
il_570xN.528176978_oni5.jpg

volvomeister13

One of the Regulars
Just ordered on Ebay- it shipped today!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PRE...6JYHRcjwsM4GciAcoSu3c%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The 20.5" chest size seemed perfect for me. The only strange thing is that the shoulders are listed as being 16", which seemed bizarre for the chest size. I just went for it anyway, thinking that maybe 16" was just the distance between the seemingly narrow shoulder seams as much of the body of the shoulders looks like its actually comprised of the sleeve piece past the shoulder seam itself. Is this in line with 1920s/30s clothing?

Also, when do you guys think this is from? The listing said 30's, but that's not necessarily reliable. It caught my attention because it looked more like something from the 20's to my comparatively untrained eye.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Shoulder width is something I don't get. Everybody says the shoulders have to fit. Most everything can easily be altered, but not the shoulders. How do the narrow 1920s shoulders translate to that? I would imagine that if the shoulders are 2 or 3 inches narrower that makes for some serious fit problems? I mean, there are no "action backs" in the upper sleeves to compensate for the narrow shoulders, right?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Rudie, some early 20s suits had a very narrow shoulder seam to shoulder seam measurement, meaning that your shoulder fills out the sleevehead like this:

Lloyd1922peaked.jpg

later suits, have a much wider shoulder seam to shoulder seam measurement. e.g...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-1930s-Suits&p=1674602&viewfull=1#post1674602

the difference is in the angle of armhole. on the Harold Lloyd suit the armhole seams look roughly vertical when viewed from the front.
on BK's 30s suit the armhole seams are angled outward. both 'fit' but in different ways.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany