Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930 Bridge Arm Floor Lamp

Jish1969

Familiar Face
I actually saw this the at the second hand store a month ago, but it was out of my price range so I didn't think about it again. Today there is 20 percent off lamps and picture frames at the store so I head in(like I wasn't going to anyway) and the lamp, which I had thought would have been long gone by now is still there and in the end I get it for a much better price. Its a Miller Co. lamp and there is what I believe to be a quality control sticker on the base with the date of 2/1/1930 and the number 100 right below that. Anyways I couldnt be happier. The wiring definitely needs to be redone, which was a factor in the final sale but otherwise its in great condition. I am going to the Antique Lamp Co tomorrow to pick up a glass shade for it and if I can find some attractive wiring for it then the final product wont be far off. Its new home will be right next to the chair in my little reading nook, which is going to make the experience all the more enjoyable, and now I can finally get rid of the cheap trumpet lamp.

lamp003.jpg
[/IMG]

lamp002.jpg
[/IMG]

lamp004.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Foofoogal

Banned
one of the tests when replating or refinishing brass is to use a magnet to test it. If the magnet sticks you know you have only brass plate; if the magnet does not stick you then have solid brass

Beautiful lamp. Did you do the brass test?

Jish1969

Familiar Face
The base and stand are brass plated, but the bridge arm appears to be solid brass. I am heading to the Antique Lamp Co. shortly to get the glass shade holder and a shade; I am hoping that they have a pink or creamy tulip shade in stock because I want this to really stand out. There should be more pics to follow later today...

Last edited:

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Let me shed some light on this thread. Very rarely do I walk into a store and find everything I need at good prices, but the Antique Lamp Co. set me up with an older glass shade holder that matched the patina on the lamp, a beautiful acid treated art deco shade, 12ft of new cord at 25cents a foot, and a new cover for the plug, all for a steal! Twenty minutes of rewiring work and a little cleaning and this lamp is back in action. Another plus is that the four feet of rayon cord that was housed inside the lamp is in brand new condition, so I will save it for another project down the road. Enjoy!

newlamp002.jpg
[/IMG]

newlamp004.jpg
[/IMG]

newlamp003.jpg
[/IMG]

newlamp001.jpg
[/IMG]

storman113

Familiar Face
Very nice lamp! Fits the area very well.

Went to the antique expo in Portland, OR last month. Saw bout half dozen there. All were priced at over $200!

I picked one up earlier this year at a vintage store. It worked so well as a reading lamp, when at an auction I picked up a second one and scored two shades also. Went on line to get replacement wiring (cloth covered), plugs and shade rings. So far have spend under $200 for both.

One passed the brass test (red shade), the other didn't.

I like the red swirl shade the best. Reduces light thru the shade, but nice and bright on books or paper.

LampRed1.jpg

LampWhite1.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
Oh yes, the cranberry swirl shade is perfect.
-------------
Jish1969, I am lamp parts poor. I so want to learn how to rewire these things. I am so jealous.

Welcome to the FL. Lovely lamp BTW.

Jish1969

Familiar Face
That cranberry shade is very nice storman, I have a feeling that I will end up with a few shades for this one lamp so I can interchange them when I want. I just need to exercise patience and wait for the right ones to show up. Foofoogal, a lamp is probably the best and easiest rewiring project for the beginner and an inexpensive way to learn as well. Pick up a cheapy at a thrift store just to take it apart and you will see.

storman113

Familiar Face
Was in Reno yesterday. Visited 3 antique malls. NOT one bridge lamp. Was really surprised. Maybe people are keeping them as they work very well as reading lamps. Feel lucky to have one.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Jish1969:

So, what kind of cord did you use for the replacement? I have a resource for (new) cloth covered power cord, if you would like to have some for your lamp, I could arrange to pick up some at a reasonable price. It's 100% safe to use and is the correct stuff for proper lamp restorations.

The lamp is a honey, very pretty and you did a wonderful job on picking it up and getting it back in use! I'll take a photo or two of my bridge lamp... I have a silk deco shade with fringe on it.

Enjoy,

Jish1969

Familiar Face
I used a new bronze colored plastic cord for the replacement, it is very thin and matches the patina on the lamp perfectly. Thank you for the offer for the cloth covered cord but I am going to stick with this for a whil. The Antique Lamp Co., where I got the cord and shade holder has brand new rayon cord for sale as well, but it aint cheap and that was a factor in me choosing the plastic. They have a great website and online catalog too, here ya go-http://http://www.antiquelampco.com/
I will take a few pick up close of the cord this week, and I cant wait to see yours, I ablolutely love these lamps!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
We'll that's fine, I offered the cloth cord rout because I have a line on it at a local ACE Hardware shop here that has it very reasonable. Also, it's in a copper tone color, I'll snap a shot of that for you if you're interested.

Here's some early photos of my bridge lamp before I replaced the cord... The person I bought it from had a clear plastic cord on it then, painted it silver to match the bridge part of the lamp... I felt it looked hokey so, my friend has a spool of the old stuff and we put it in there and it looks good now. :D
bridgelamp.jpg

bridgelamp3.jpg

bridgelamp2.jpg

Enjoy!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Thank you for the complement! I saw it in an antique shop and watched it for a wile... till it came down in price and then it wasn't there! The store owner said the lady that ran that booth said that she took it home because no one bought it... So, I told her to call that dealer up and have it brought back!

For me, I love the cloth shades with fringe are so lovely... If I find a correct mica shade from the 30s, I'll put that on it... Most deco bridge lamps of this fashion had mica shades from what I have learned.

storman113

Familiar Face
Visiting in Tucson. Went to four antique malls today. Only one bridge arm lamp and it was ugly and in bad shape. Thinking the ones with good design get snapped up quick. Would really enjoy finding one with an art deco styled bridge. Easy to re-cord and paint if needed. Shades are a matter of luck. Have never seen a mica shade in a store yet, well maybe I have but didn't recognize it. If someone has a pic of one to post would appreciate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR