Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's Makeup Tutorial

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
LOL.. I can actually picture myself getting vaseline in my eyes.. I wear contacts and I have to be real careful to what goes around my eye!

I havent used benifit.. in i dont know how long.. I really wish they didint change thier packaging.. I loved the old stuff.. i wanted to buy it cause it was so cute! LOL

epr25

Practically Family
I love this but for some reason I am totally incapable of doing make up other then that I am wearing right at this moment. Since this is a step by step I am going to try it. Her makeup looks fantastic. I think if you try this you should post your after affect.

jessicarabbit

New in Town
does anyone else think this looks like an awful lot of makeup to apply? it looks to be the equivalent of my stage makeup.

I'm going to try this for my 30th birthday in a few weeks time, complete with cold set hair and everything! will post a pic if it comes off ok.

Tatum

Practically Family
I did it last night, actually.... The hubby said it looked a little "overboard" until I added the lipstick, did my hair and threw some clothes on (he initially caught me at the vanity in my skivvies with rollers in my hair, and nothing but my eyes done! hehe), but once I got everything together, he said it looked great. Then we realized the camera batteries were dead! Oops.

I cheated, using what I had on hand and a LOT of blending the shadow and liner, but I'll do it again and post it. I had to run to the store and got eyeballed by lots of gentlemen :D

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
jessicarabbit said:
does anyone else think this looks like an awful lot of makeup to apply? it looks to be the equivalent of my stage makeup.

I totally agree, and with what ShoreRoadLady said. It's definately vampy stage makeup. Everyday gals in the 30's probably wouldn't have worn this dramatic of makeup, even for evening. Unless they were of a certain *ahem* occupation...

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I've put vaseline of my eyelids loads of times, it's safe enough, but not very comfortable, and it tends to make a thick line in the crease, so if there is another product that does this better, it would be great. For photos it's fine, though. I'm sure the Benefit stuff is great, and MAC probably also has some creamy eye shadow that gives the same effect.

I think I will try and make that eyelash-effect with regular mascara and report back with photos.

cherry lips, thank you! ;)

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
If you are willing to spend the big bucks, you can acheive a similar look using The Shiseido mascara base and Yves Saint Laurent effet faux cils mascara---you can build up the tips with the former and coat the heck out of them with the latter after they dry. Serious business. :)

texasgirl

One Too Many
Some good color ideas.

makeup003.jpg

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
i love the hollywood-glow, i'v been using as a bronzer for face and body, it really has a beautifull shimmer to it, very natural. i'd also like to try benefit's powderflage, it sounds very promising...

Bubble Cheeks

New in Town
I am absolutely CRAZY about Fiberwig mascara. It has these little fibers in it that stick together, and the more layers you add, the more fibers you add. My husband says it looks a lot like when I wear false eyelashes! But more natural, because it's not as bushy. Just really really looooong.

Joan

New in Town
This tutorial is great! The lips don't work for me so much, but I love the eyes! It looks like a lot of work, but I'm going to try it. :D

Thank you so much for posting the link! And thank your friend for making the video. :)

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
There's a reproduction of a 1930s makeup booklet on ebay (search: 1930s makeup) that has really cool pictures in colours. I noticed that the rouge was applied very high up on the cheeks, almost below the eyes. These rouge pots was the best picture I could find, I hope you get the idea.
76010.jpg
AAAAAuOV0yEAAAAAABvbYg.jpg

Aren't they cute? They're from a Spanish company called Gal. I want them all!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Yes, it looks so cute applied under the eyes. It seems like there were different ways to do it depending on the shape of your face, but it was always applied rather high up, just below the eyes. It adds such a delicate, almost tear ridden, look to the face. Uploaded some pictures from the book you mentioned:

2883541702_375a5ea422_o.jpg

2882705017_ac53ca2de9_o.jpg

2883541766_3665cf171c_o.jpg

2883541838_abc18a346c_o.jpg

And just because it's gorgeous, although it's more 1920s:
Gerda_Wegener:_%22Pige_og_moppe_i_Automobil%22_maxi.jpg

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
you can also 'pinch' the lower lashes together to get the seperated look, when the mascara is wet, get your tweesers and pinch a few together, it looks really effective!

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
ShrinkingViolet said:
I bet there's false eyelashes available somewhere that recreate that beaded look.

[.

Shu Uemura does lashes with beaded ends! they're gorgeos! and guerlain brought out a product last year that put gel beads on the ends of your lashes, maybe search ebay?

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
PS said:
Here, I have a tut I did for another site where I used vaseline for my eyes. This might help you get any idea of the amount you will need for your individual looks. Excuse me this over a year old........i may have posted this here as well. not sure, can be easily removed if need be.
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=38893f202951ba47bc87b5&skin_id=601&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Your tutorial is wonderful! I will be trying the vaseline trick tomorrow..
Thanks for the great tips! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24