Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1931 John Cavanagh Ltd Catalog

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
HATCO said:
The cavanagh 40 adjusted for inflation would cost $540 today

Was this catalog for retail or wholesale Mr. Bowers?

And that's not a bad price at all for a pure belly beaver hat today, Cavanagh Edge notwithstanding, of course.

This catalog is retail.

I should have qualified that the Cavanagh Forty was the most expensive FELT hat in the catalog. The straws go for much more:
1931-10.jpg

Lefty said:
Very nice Brad. I've seen that listed on the seller's site, but thought it was the same booklet that MK had posted long ago. Great score and thanks for sharing.

And am I ever glad you passed it up!lol I hadn't run this search before I guess, or I would have found it earlier.

Here's the least expensive hat in the catalog. Cavanagh certainly covered all the bases when it came to hats. Makes me think of Bill Murray in Caddyshack.
1931-11.jpg

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
PabloElFlamenco said:
When was postage (for such card) 3 cents?
The style of the card looks 1970's to me???

Looks like the postcard postage rate went to 3 cents on August 1, 1958, according to several websites. It increased again to 4 cents on January 7, 1963, so this places it within a five-year period.

In any case, John Cavanagh, Ltd. moved from that Park Avenue location in 1964.

Brad

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
It's essentially a homburg, but with one notable "formal" difference: the brim's underside is faced entirely in black silk satin.

I've only seen one example in person...it's an extremely rare type of hat.

Marc, do you happen to have any pictures of this hat? I would love to see some examples of it. Actually, I'd love to have one made, and any information you could provide about it would be appreciated. For that matter, if anyone has any pictures or information, I'd love to have it...

Mike

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
floatinjoe said:
Marc, do you happen to have any pictures of this hat? I would love to see some examples of it. Actually, I'd love to have one made, and any information you could provide about it would be appreciated. For that matter, if anyone has any pictures or information, I'd love to have it...

Mike

I've got a Cavanagh example, circa 1940, and I think it's Dinerman that has a Knox example. They're soft hats, more like a fedora since they don't have the curled brim, but they're much more formal.

TuxedoHat2.jpg

TuxedoHat3.jpg

Brad

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
3 cents says it all.

Lefty said:
unfortunately, no :(

Maybe MK can chime in. I believe that he owns the booklet.

From August 1958 through January 1963 postage for a post card was 3 cents.
It went up to 4 cents in 1963.

I would guess from the catalog prices and the postage, this is from that time era...the end of the hat wearing peak in the USA.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Zip codes began in 1963 also.

PabloElFlamenco said:
When was postage (for such card) 3 cents?
The style of the card looks 1970's to me???

Zip codes began also in 1963. With the postage being 3 cents, and no zip code, it is obvious. It also shows the old address style pre-zip code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn