Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1931 John Cavanagh Ltd Catalog

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
My latest and greatest find is this 1931 catalog for Cavanagh hats. This is just a couple of years after the founding of Cavanagh Hats and John Cavanagh Ltd. I knew this existed, as there is one Worldcat listing for this - 1931 appears to be the only edition, or else the only edition saved by a library. But I'd never seen one for sale, until I stumbled across is last Friday. Fast service, I ordered it from Chicago Rare Books on Friday, and it arrived today!

It's a small hardbound catalog filled with line drawings. 40 pages in all. I don't have a scanner, but I photographed a few for your perusal. The descriptions and prices are the main reason I wanted it - all that information in one place! I was disappointed there wasn't any historical information about the shop, but that's okay.

There are also four different Derbies, several top hats, many riding hats, straw, and cloth hats. All in all, my favorite piece in my advertising collection.

1931-1.jpg

1931-2.jpg

1931-3.jpg

Here we have typical early-'30s-width brims. The abundance of medium crowns is interesting. Love the color choices. Foam Weight! How's that for a descriptor!
1931-4.jpg

1931-5.jpg

1931-6.jpg

The Cavanagh Forty is the most expensive hat in the catalog.
1931-7.jpg

For those many discussions we have about which hat to wear with a dinner jacket, John Cavanagh settles it once and for all.lol
1931-8.jpg

1931-9.jpg

Brad

HATCO

Vendor
Brim widths are interesting.

The trillo has a dimensional brim though it may not count as dimensional since it has curled brim....

The cavanagh 40 adjusted for inflation would cost $540 today

Was this catalog for retail or wholesale Mr. Bowers?

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
One Trillo and one Overbury, please

That is a remarkable and fascinating item. I am impressed by the range of brim widths available and that even the narrowest, which was 2 1/8" wide, wouldn't quite meet the generally accepted definition of, "stingy." The colors that were available are also curious.

It is interesting to note that the Cavanagh Forty would, per this inflation calculator, be worth $539.97 in dollars at their 2007 value. The hats listed there for $10 would cost $134.99 in dollars at their 2007 value. The costs of hats, then, hasn't really changed too drastically in the foregoing seventy eight years when one adjusts for inflation, which surprises me.

MattJH

One Too Many
Nice information, Delthayre. Thanks for that! I figure we all fall into that trap sometimes of thinking they were all cheap. I'm wondering if the vintage hats that have survived from the 20's - 50's are the best-kept, best quality available. Otherwise, I'm assuming a lot of hats that were no longer worn were literally thrown into the garbage. There must be a reason that the ones that have survived have... survived.

Sargon

Familiar Face
I'm still waiting on my first ever Cavanagh with baited breath. This has helped tide me over. Nice scholarship - it couldn't have been an easy find. Prices aside lets not forget it was a rare man that had more than one or two hats in his wardrobe.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Very nice Brad. I've seen that listed on the seller's site, but thought it was the same booklet that MK had posted long ago. Great score and thanks for sharing. :eusa_clap
cavcover.jpg

cavc3.jpg

cavc4.jpg

cavc5.jpg

cavc6.jpg

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I found the Rathbone "tuxedo hat" very interesting. It's not a topper, but with a flat brim it looks like a kind of topper/humborg hybrid. Have we seen this before?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
kaosharper1 said:
I found the Rathbone "tuxedo hat" very interesting. It's not a topper, but with a flat brim it looks like a kind of topper/humborg hybrid. Have we seen this before?

It's essentially a homburg, but with one notable "formal" difference: the brim's underside is faced entirely in black silk satin.

I've only seen one example in person...it's an extremely rare type of hat.

HATCO

Vendor
Marc Chevalier said:
It's essentially a homburg, but with one notable "formal" difference: the brim's underside is faced entirely in black silk satin.

I've only seen one example in person...it's an extremely rare type of hat.

Is it named after Basil Rathbone? He was quite famous back then. I'm just not sure why it would be named after him...

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Absolutely fantastic Brad. Wow what a find! Thanks for sharing. Boy, would I love to find a hat in Foam Weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails