Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1936 Bespoke Burberrys Equestrian Horse Riding Jacket

Scott Whitney

New in Town
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this forum, I have been lurking for awhile now. I recently found this burberrys equestrian jacket that was tailored in 1936. I've been having trouble researching it and trying to find more information on it. Can anybody offer any insight on this jack and what its potential worth could be. Thanks in advance.
IMG_1537_zps1e09c97f.jpg

IMG_1543_zpsac175aa0.jpg

IMG_1541_zps59ec0fd3.jpg

IMG_1542_zps4b610431.jpg

IMG_1536_zps0c4f9f36.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sorry but the labels look different to my eye. And the label in the coat looks too new and the sewing looks a bit dodgy.

Also, the other label with the date and customer name does not have 'Burberrys' printed on it. It is the practice of most bespoke tailors to print their name (and address) on that label.

So while I have some doubt as to the Burberrys label being original to the jacket and if in fact the jacket was a bespoke order, I still think it is a very nice jacket.:)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If it is genuine, that's nice. Probably not worth a lot. Limited range of potential customers and anyone into horse riding will generally buy new clobber.

pipvh

Practically Family
I wouldn't say that, even genuine, it has any real intrinsic value. I come across beautifully tailored, vintage bespoke suits from Savile Row all the time, going for a few pounds. Alas, for some reason they all seem to have been made for very fat blokes... But I don't know about this one. Something doesn't seem right. Something about the lining and the label.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That's a rather nice jacket. You should have a look in the 'hacking jackets' thread. You might want to look at some of the other jackets in that thread. The thread also includes some research on how the hacking jacket style crossed over from purely equestrian wear, to being general daywear (as a result of the increased popularity of horse riding in the 1930s).
Also have a look at the brown hacking jacket posted in the 'Show us your sports coats' thread. Baron Kurtz posted photos of his recent find (which is similarly styled to this).

With regard to the label, this is link to a Burberry overcoat that maybe from the1930s. It has a similar label.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-Us-Your-OVERCOATS/page89&highlight=overcoats

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
As for the question of value: it is difficult to say. You should take some clearer photos to show both the external and the internal details.
It has all the details I'd expect on a 1930s hacking jacket (high button stance - close buttons - long skirt - slanted pockets - flap on the breast pocket). Value would depend on condition and whether it is genuinely a Burberry jacket from 1936 (and I would say the label was stitched on in the same way as on my Burberry overcoat from the period).
I could imagine any 1930s collector wanting to own such a jacket if it was their size. What size is it?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice coat. I don't know if equestrian stuff is something for niche collectors but I think other sportcoats (colorful tweed, beltbacks...) usually fetch more.

Excuse my question but are you goin to stay and participate in the FL or do you just want some help for selling stuff? Because I don't have time for the latter.

It's certainly the first type Burberry's label, and certainly the right kind of liner for a British jacket circa 1936. I don't know Burberry's well enough to know what kind of Name/Date label they used, but I seem to remember a rather more "Company" label. The date is written British style, with the day first, so I suspect it is British.

Value depends on size and a variety of other factors. Hogspear's equestrian jackets seem to get good prices whatever the size, but all his stuff does better than that of anyone else.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It's certainly the first type Burberry's label.
While they both depict the mounted knight, they are clearly two different labels.

This knight is riding a horse:

_big_vintagefashionguild_49709.jpg

This knight is riding a unicorn.

IMG_1536_zps0c4f9f36.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
_big_vintagefashionguild_49709.jpg

This one is apparently quite deteriorated. Most of the knight has worn off as well - would explain the lack of a horn/spike.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think this other label depicts a horse with alternate face armour, not a unicorn.
Yeah....so much for dry humor on the interweb. :eek:

I was going to add (in jest) that the different mounts found on the two labels differentiated RTW (horse) from bespoke (unicorn) but thought better of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou