Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 People, Clothes IN COLOR

S

Samsa

Novella said:
Color images from the 1930s are great - I do like the reminder that the world was always in color, regardless of what the photos left behind would persuade a person to think. But what really amazes me are the color photos from the 1900s. The first time I saw autochromes I was shocked to find out that photographers had the ability to produce color photos so early!

Thanks for this post! I had never heard of autochrome before! I had no idea a glimpse into the early twentieth century could include color.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cell phones and Ipods were mentioned earlier in that if they had them, they'd have used them. People didn't want black and white photos only in the 20's and 30's... before color film could be bought, many photo labs were color tinting photos... I've seen really good examples and really bad ones too. People wanted color and that's one reason why National Geographic was so popular then... the color photos inside most issues. I recall seeing the 1925 Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chany and how there was a hand tinted part in the middle of the film. It was hand tinted which is different from true color film but, the results were amazing! The first color film wasn't The Wizard of Oz, there were a few of films that came before 1939. However, the way The Wizard of Oz was filmed shocked the audience and it was a smash hit not only for the color but, it was a well made movie.

The reason why there were movies still being made in black and white after color film was perfected is because it was cheaper to use black and white but, also some directors felt it was more artistic. M~G~M used color in a lot of their films in the 40's.

=WR=

Kimberly

Practically Family
What a treat for the eyes after a hard days work!! Those pictures are fantastic and do show a different perspective than what we are accustomed to from the old Hollywood movies.

I love the picture of the woman in the white pants suit!! I want one now. lol

Sunny

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
cap044.jpg

Those two are adorable.

Sunny

One Too Many
Yep, I can see the strap of his case.

The positions of their feet I find a little humorous, especially with his toes turned in. It's always awkward to sit on a low seat; I like seeing 'real people' doing it back then. And their knees, their heads, their whole bodies are unconsciously and ever-so-slightly turned in toward the other. I find it really sweet.

green papaya

One Too Many
the color almost makes the photos identicle to 1950's era, a lot of the clothing styles were still in style at the time

the kids wearing short pants and t-shirts looks like the 50's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner