Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's beauty treatments

Ingrid

New in Town
Well I have always wondered what women did in the 1940's as far as skin and hair, that women don't do now. I have not seen a thread like this so hopefully, this is something new:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, I'd think the number one difference would be the idea of daily shampoos -- it just wasn't done. A lot of people still washed their hair by rubbing it with the same soap they used for their bath, and even the shampoo products that existed then were much harsher and soapier than those today. So washing hair daily would have quickly left it a dry, ratty mess. The idea of "I can't go out tonight, I'm washing my hair" was very much a real part of life for most women.

Commercially-made conditioner products didn't yet exist either -- the first "creme rinses" didn't hit the market until 1949, so it was common to use home-made treatments instead. Beer rinses, egg shampoos, and such things as that might be used. Oil treatments were available, but they were expensive and messy to use.

Hair spray didn't exist until the early fifties either -- so for hold, it was common to make up thin sugar-water solutions sprayed thru an atomizer to stick hair in place if necessary. Most women depended on setting lotion or carefully-maintained permanents to keep their hair in order.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
In Channel 4's 1940s House, I recall Mrs. Hymer saying, after completing her beauty routine: "Never have I done so much work to look so awful."

Cold cream was very common back then. It is still around, but most people just use makeup remover.

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the interesting information LizzieMaine. I often wondered how the women managed their hair before shampoos and hairspray and other products were readily available. We really do take for granted the products that we use on a daily basis. I do remember my nanna telling me when I was small how she had washed her hair with soap and being amazed that shampoo hadn't always been available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav