Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950's Honolulu style Music

Jessica Reinard

Familiar Face
Not sure if Honolulu is the right term. Having a Hawaiian inspired Christmas barbecue this Thursday and need a good play list... any suggestions Loungers?

Much appreciated and Merry Christmas!

Jessica

A.R. McVintage

Both Voodoo 1 & 2 by Robert Drasnin for exotica. Not as slow as Martin Denny, these are more the type of thing you'd hear at Disney's old Tahitian Terrace.

Also, there're Hawaii themed Christmas songs, too, such as Mele Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Jessica Reinard said:
Not sure if Honolulu is the right term. Having a Hawaiian inspired Christmas barbecue this Thursday and need a good play list... any suggestions Loungers?

Much appreciated and Merry Christmas!

Jessica

Do yourself a favor and search out any and all music by Alfred Apaka.

=Clipper=

One of the Regulars
Jessica Reinard,
¬°Yes, Miss_Bella_Hell is right! There are many Ultra-Lounge songs throughout the collection which include many hawaiian-inspired tunes. I have been a long fan of Lounge and Vintage Hawaiian music. When I heard it in some of the Ultra-Lounge collections I was hooked even more!
There are also many styles of music from way when that had the slide guitar which gave it a tropical feel..For example, this rare video of a hawaiian pin-up:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9si6_hawaiian-hula-song_fun Notice how halfway through the song they speed up the tempo and, ¬°voila! You've got early western swing.
Also try looking up Alfred Apaka. Another well known hawaiian artist. Hope this helps some.

Regards,
=Adrian=

Jonny's Angel

New in Town
If you have a record player, I suggest you trawl the charity shops. I have LOADS of records of Hawaiian and Tiki music that I've picked up for absolute pennies. They are normally found in the dusty , tatty record pile at the back!

Jessica Reinard

Familiar Face
Thank You!

All your advice came as a massive help, thank you so much!

Between the Ultra Lounge, some downloads and digging up a few old records we managed to make the perfect music accompaniment to the evening.

And the Hollywaiians have just gained a new fan!

Many thanks, and merry Christmas!

Jess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats