Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1972 sage Kings Point MFG Co N2B XL: More Nylon for the Junkie

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gentleman,

My latest purchase, a 1972 Kings Point MFG Co N2B XL Flight Jacket in sage. Arrived in the post today, in good used condition with a few marks to shell & light repairs to knits. Shell is thick nylon, interlining a wool / cotton mix & zippers: Scovill & Gripper. Ruff is in good nick too, not sure what animal it came off of. Or is it synthetic?

In XL this is a roomy jacket and fits me well (5.10 & 46" chest). Nice & short though as i like them.

A heavy duty cold weather jacket in original condition that just needs to be worn, can't wait for some colder weather (or then again maybe I can wait a while)

Attachments

• IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 414

mihai

A-List Customer
Nice jacket, congratulations!
I guess you noticed that it's completely superior in terms of materials quality compared to Alpha Vintage repros.

That fur looks like the real thing. I have one from the 60s in coyote fur that looks about the same.To be 100% sure you can burn one piece of hair or check where attached to the hood(if it is real leather).
From the info I found the initial spec called for wolf fur. After they changed in favor of coyote fur. Yours seems to be coyote.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
bn1966 said:
A heavy duty cold weather jacket in original condition that just needs to be worn, can't wait for some colder weather (or then again maybe I can wait a while)
You can wait for the bad weather, trust me.

Great jacket! You're becoming an expert at finding these oldies!

bn1966

Thanks Guys,

I do seem to be turning up early 70's nylon on a fairly regular basis now.....opinion for the ruff is divided between wolf & coyote. Thanks for your input mihai (quality is high as you state), Doc we now need to find one for you with matching footwear :)

bn1966

I found the jacket on e-bay UK and paid £55.00 for it, which is about the same money as I paid for my high end Alpha Replica N2B (USA made). I recently purchased a near mint 90's Alpha N2B service issue for about £43.00 from the states (crazy white synthetic ruff). The quality of the 'Kings' IMO is superb & whilst not perfect (a number of marks, stains, blemishes & knit repairs) this jacket has loads of character & feels really solid, there is nothing that needs sorting. Back in the 1980's I purchased my first N2B at the age of 20 (a civilian Alpha) having seen a rather tough looking gent wearing a well used service original (with fur ruff) & being much impressed, the 'Kings' reminds me of his jacket.

bn1966

The other two, Blue is much darker than the photo suggests.

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0475(1).jpg
    IMG_0475(1).jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 827
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 387

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I occasionally see vintage small N-2s on the bay at what look like reasonably prices, but then you see the postage and it's often more than the cost of the jacket itself! Mind you, I've got an unworn Alpha N-3 waiting for a proper winter, it's not too pressing a problem, but I do like the N-2 style.

bn1966

An early service issue N3B is a jacket I'd love to get my hands on though a good one isn't cheap. The blue N2A is another jacket I'd aspire to, especially the Masland contract with it's distinctive ruff. Big bucks in good condition.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The blue N2A is another jacket I'd aspire to, especially the Masland contract with it's distinctive ruff. Big bucks in good condition.

BN, there's a nice Masland N-2A on the Bay at the mo. I'm tempted myself and would have bought it as the N-2A is my favourite of the hooded nylon flight jackets but have to get some work done on the car.

Think it might just be your size as well ;)

bn1966

Thanks Smithy,

Too much scratch for me too at the moment, work on house & scooter needs servicing. I have been drooling over that Masland, maybe in the Fall though :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Smithy,

Too much scratch for me too at the moment, work on house & scooter needs servicing. I have been drooling over that Masland, maybe in the Fall though :)

Tell me about it! The joys of motor transportation maintenance. I know what you mean about that Masland, it really is a looker and in great nick.

bn1966

Hmmmm...what have I got that I could sell?? The Masland is calling to me :)

mihai

A-List Customer
I got this N-2A(http://www.ebay.com/itm/141307364730), not a bargain but reasonable price giving it's good condition.
I think I like more the N-2B bc of the the sage green color, is a rather special color different than what you usually see on the street.

Last edited:

bn1966

Sweet N2A, most of the time quality costs, but then when you have forgotten the $$$ paid...the quality remains :)

mihai

A-List Customer
Sweet N2A, most of the time quality costs, but then when you have forgotten the $$$ paid...the quality remains :)
Nicely said! After all quality matters.
I'm starting to be more exigent, purchase less but higher quality.
I ended up with quite some vintage stuff, pretty much a bit of everything I am interested in: several G1-s, USN pea coats, USN overcoats, sheepskin pants (A1, B1, m446), ww2 sailor uniforms, WW2 olive green overcoats, now the nylons and also the mil jackets repros. Managing them starts to pose problems (storage space, time, keeping count of them :)). I don't get to enjoy all of them(frustrating). Every time I check eBay/FL there are a lots of quality things at bargain prices but having something similar to what I already have is not that appealing. Very tempting but I try at least to reason. Easier said than done. :)

Last edited:

mihai

A-List Customer
I got this N-2A(http://www.ebay.com/itm/141307364730), not a bargain but reasonable price giving it's good condition.
I think I like more the N-2B bc of the the sage green color, is a rather special color different than what you usually see on the street.

Back with one addition regarding this N-2A: the trim around the hood is not made of natural fur. It is just the same synthetic stuff you find on newer N-2B jackets(from 70s on) having some synthetic black hair added on top. I guess this goes for most of the N-2A trims that bear this visual aspect.

As I said I'll probably stick to the N-2B having real fur trim. It gives a way nicer feeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn