Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha 1975 N2B Flight Jacket in XL

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My latest find, an Alpha 1975 N2B Flight Jacket in XL. This jacket is in fantastic condition for it's age; shell is nice and thick, lining is fine, knits are lightly used with the most minor moth nips I've seen in a long while. The interlining is wool & makes for a nice warm and heavy jacket. Scovill zippers work as they should, even the synthetic fur on the hood is great as far as artificial goes. This N2B appears to have been lightly used & is superior in quality to my 1993 late service Alpha N2B. I tend to wear these jackets with the hoods zipped up, not sure how I feel about hood unzipped look (but potentially practical whilst driving or riding).

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 1,508
  • IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 913
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 909

Edward

Bartender
Lovely! I really fancy one of these myself... moreso an N2A, but I'd like both and the N2B is much easier to come by it seems... When was the magic year when they switched the interlining to wool - 1978? What sort of contract numbers should one be looking for with these?

Incidently, this is a funny example of how one's tastes change over time. Fifteen years ago, I wouldn't have been seen dead in one of these, nor an Irvin for that matter. Now, however....

Stand By

One Too Many
May I ask where you find all these good nylon jackets ? Is it by trawling eBay ?
I find myself thinking about a nice, vintage USAF N3-B with a plush fur trim on the hood - to go over a good wool sweater and my ELC B-6 for those "F*#* me, it's f*$#@*g COLD!!!" days - and think that Summer is the best time to hunt for one (before other peoples' minds turn to these things) … and I reckon you'd be the man to ask …! Any pointers would be gratefully received … Thx!

bn1966

Thanks guys, lovely quality this mid 70's version..my 4th N2B (probably the last): x 1 Kings Point MFG CO, two Alpha service issues as mentioned & finally a Alpha early Replica series in blue. I used to like these jackets in the 80's & then went through a period where I wouldn't look at them twice...into them again despite the fashion versions that are currently worn.

I went to the IOW scooter rally on my Vespa over the weekend (blew it up on the return journey), whilst on the rally (biggest in the world) I visited a 'Traders Village' with lots of MA1s & N2Bs for sale...total rubbish every man one of them (that I saw)..cheap thin nylon & fur trim that looked like cotton wool literally.

I don't know the change over date Edward but your guess must be somewhere in the zone. What size do you take? I'm done for now (Vespa Engine re-build beckons) but will keep an eye out for you & PM if anything turns up.

bn1966

Hi 'Stand By', has that L2A turned up yet? Mine is in the UK now & was held to ransom by customs (which I've just paid....ouch!!!!!)

My time is spent on e-bay as you guessed on the nylon hunt, use very generic terms such as 'flying jacket' then narrow down to 'used' & 'Canada' to access any potential bargains. Then do this on a daily basis & hopefully you will find items that others have missed (works for me). Good luck with N3 series jackets, hardly any turn up over here; MA1s & N2B's are more frequent.

Stand By

One Too Many
Incidently, this is a funny example of how one's tastes change over time. Fifteen years ago, I wouldn't have been seen dead in one of these, nor an Irvin for that matter. Now, however....

I know what you mean ! So many other kids wore these sort of jackets in the late 70s when I was at school (with the fake fur hood trim of course) and they were everywhere and I wouldn't have been seen dead in one, then … and now I like them and I want to cough up a couple of hundred bucks on one !!!

Stand By

One Too Many
Hi 'Stand By', has that L2A turned up yet? Mine is in the UK now & was held to ransom by customs (which I've just paid....ouch!!!!!)

My time is spent on e-bay as you guessed on the nylon hunt, use very generic terms such as 'flying jacket' then narrow down to 'used' & 'Canada' to access any potential bargains. Then do this on a daily basis & hopefully you will find items that others have missed (works for me). Good luck with N3 series jackets, hardly any turn up over here; MA1s & N2B's are more frequent.

No, not heard anything from HPA yet … :( But it's coming… it's a sure thing. Just a matter of time now. Can't be long …

Thanks for the sagely advice, BN - and will do! I wouldn't think to use generic terms … but I will now ! :) Will let you know if I find something that ticks enough boxes and I can afford it …. Thanks again ! Much appreciated!!!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Great jacket, another amazing find. For me that style gives off too many weird vibes of the 70s for me to wear one in Canada. It must be a local thing.

Yes, our BN1966 is a master at finding the gems in The Bay. You have to find the stuff that the seller knows little about, not to scam him/her, but because it's overlooked by the jacket fans. It's time consuming, though.

bn1966

Thanks Doc,

Have just compared the 75 & 93 Alpha N2B's side by side, 75 fur trim is much less 'fluffy' and to me more pleasing...still has a 70's vibe though...not one I mind personally.

Going to try & give jacket hunting a miss for a bit, it's quite time consuming and I've plenty (for now). Amazing what turns up if you keep an eye open...mind, over here nylon isn't very popular.

Buzz Rickson L2A has turned up (lovely) so will be putting pics on at the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183