Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 manmade pies

SGTROCK

One of the Regulars
Made these today following the old Better Homes New Cook book,Cost very little and taste better than store bought, now just need some help eating with a pot of coffee. Not bad for an old Marine
10424294_456893074465072_6602467017609830044_n.jpg 10169354_456897827797930_1368603269671429355_n.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hard to beat a good home-made pie. My favorite is egg custard, with a close second being strawberry rhubarb (with home-made ice cream).

Go Sarge!!
I enjoy cooking, but have not yet tried my hand at pies. I sure like to eat'em, though. And you're right, homemade beats store made any day.

SGTROCK

One of the Regulars
Really is easy, I just double the recipe, using the oven for just one seems like a waste of energy. Next week I'm going to try Apricot if I can find good fruit

Big Man

This time of year, fried apple pies are good. My grandmother used to dry apples in the Fall for use till fresh apples came in on her trees. She'd take the dried apples and cook them till soft, then put them in the pastry and fry them in oil. Roll the fried pies with some sugar, and we'd have a feast. When we'd go on trips, she would always make up a bunch of fried apple pies for us to take along.

I make fried apple pies the same way (even dry my own apples), but they are never as good as the ones "Maw" used to make.

This time of year, fried apple pies are good. My grandmother used to dry apples in the Fall for use till fresh apples came in on her trees. She'd take the dried apples and cook them till soft, then put them in the pastry and fry them in oil. Roll the fried pies with some sugar, and we'd have a feast. When we'd go on trips, she would always make up a bunch of fried apple pies for us to take along.

I make fried apple pies the same way (even dry my own apples), but they are never as good as the ones "Maw" used to make.

Fried pies are awesome. I usually can't wait for summer when I can get fresh peaches to make them. It's one of the things that make the summer heat bearable.

I would give about anything for one of my grandmother's fried pies. Like your's, she would use dried apples or peaches, and pan fry them, not deep fry. After she passed, my great aunt (her sister) still turned out some good ones every time I went up home, but she's been gone far too long now, too.
Thanks for bringing back that memory Big Man.

DNO

One Too Many
I'm a big fan of savoury pies, so once in a while I'll whip up a steak and kidney pie or a French Canadian Tourtierre (using my mother's old recipe). Mmmmmmh.

This one's a tourtierre:

Big Man

Is egg custard anything like a chess pie?

My Grandmother loved the egg custard pie the S&W Cafeteria had, and worked hard to duplicate the taste (she got it down pat, for sure).

Egg custard pie is basically four eggs, about two cups of sugar, milk, and vanilla, with a pinch of salt. My Grandmother used a little bit of flour to make it "stiff". It makes a nice, smooth, "silky" texture pie.

When I think of Sunday Dinner, I think of my Maw's egg custard pie.

The cornmeal in a chess pie does the same thing as the corn starch or flour...it adds stiffness and body to what would otherwise be a pretty soft filling. It just adds a little different texture as well. You could also use buttermilk for a little tangier/less sweet version. Buttermilk pie is pretty good too!

emigran

Practically Family
Don't laugh, girls, just go to Betty Crocker's site and look up Bisquick pie recipies... easy as pie... my fave is coconut custard with a little orange extract added in :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner