Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 : ALICE IN WONDERLAND

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I just saw it (in 2D. Didn't bother to check which ones where at which times... oops). I thought that it was fun, but not great. It had its moments, but I thought that it didn't quite commit to the absurdism but instead got too caught up in trying to make it an epic adventure, but didn't quite do that because it was stuck on the absurdism. Make up your mind.

I would have liked a madder hatter too.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I saw it in 3D and enjoyed it very much but not as much as the children in the audience who actually applauded at the end. I also heard several kids tell their parents that they wanted to see it again.

Chainsaw

Suspended
I've only seen the previews, and they look kinda dark, that's all right though. Tim Burton's a genious in his own right, and Johnny Depp? He's fantastic. It's not the Alcie in wonderland that we remembered, but it was made for the people that grew up with it. Not the next generation.

:eusa_clap You guy's remember "Who framed Roger Rabbit?" Now something like that would have been right on the money.

Edward

Bartender
Chainsaw said:
:eusa_clap You guy's remember "Who framed Roger Rabbit?" Now something like that would have been right on the money.

I wonder if it is possible to retrospetively apply this new 3D technology to a pre-existing film? Roger would be great with that.

jetgirl said:
I think I would have liked it better if it was called "Back to Wonderland" or "The Chronicles of Alice". It's a gorgeous film, but it wasn't Alice in Wonderland. Didn't anyone learn anything from "Hook"? :)

Oh, I think they learned from Hook. What damned the latter was the cloying, rank, saccharine sentimentality (the same thing which is both hallmark and ruination of the majority of Spielberg's ouevre). In my eyes Burton deftly avoids this.

December said:
Finally, I was disappointed with the 3D aspect. I've seen Up and Coraline (with my 10 year old brother!) in 3D and I thought they were both fantastic in those visuals. I have a feeling that Alice in Wonderland would be hardly any different in 2D, and about half the ticket price!!

The subtlty of the effect is precisely why I loved it - I'd have been deeply, deeply disappointed had it turned out to be nothing more than a lame 3D fest. As it was, the effect added an extra layer to the film without becoming the main event. I've seen enough rubbish by George Lucas to last me a lifetime, I don't need Burton churning out effects-over-story pap as well! ;) lol

December said:
That's interesting. In that case, he's clearly talented. However, I still think it's unnecessary and annoying. I don't know, I just don't like that effect. Sort of like the Evian babies.

Oh, now those are creepy..... I mean, I find human babies in general creepy, but those Evian things.... shudder.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Oh yeah, Edward. Here's an easter Egg if you want. Check out "bullet Proof Monk" It's totally unrelated to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" but it was made on the same jig. Cheers

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Edward said:
I wonder if it is possible to retrospetively apply this new 3D technology to a pre-existing film? Roger would be great with that.

Really?!
The entire premise of Who Framed Roger Rabbit was to set 2D characters in a 3D world. I would think that was why nearly all the animation in it was hand drawn, to convey that effect visually and genuinely.

To put 3D on top of that would be redundant, and should be illegal.

LD

Jet_Black

New in Town
I took my girlfriend to watch the 3D version of this movie lastnight and neither of us liked it.[huh] For me I wished that it would have been a little more darker and weirder like most of Burton's films.

The novelty of the 3D wore off fast for us and the screaming babies in the audience didn't help:eusa_doh: . At the end of the Futterwacken I said out loud "Can't Touch This"! which seem appropriate for that part.:p Lastly, my girlfriend and I loved the Cheshire Cat.:eusa_clap He seemed to be the only one that always us laughing.

Edward

Bartender
Lady Day said:
Really?!
The entire premise of Who Framed Roger Rabbit was to set 2D characters in a 3D world. I would think that was why nearly all the animation in it was hand drawn, to convey that effect visually and genuinely.

To put 3D on top of that would be redundant, and should be illegal.

LD

lol

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
My family and I had planned to this this in 2-D but sadly due to high demand we ended up seeing it in 3-D.

My thoughts...
It would have been great if it was much darker and much crazier but, alas, it is a children's film. I still enjoyed but found it rather underwhelming at times. But how could I not enjoy it? I've always been Alice obsessed!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, I got to see it this weekend in 3D and rather enjoyed it. I loved the parallels in characters between her own land & Wonderland that are foreshadowed. Once Alice was in wonderland it moved quite briskly. I think the distjoined nature of the film reflects the disjionted nature of Wonderland and the story itself. The actors for the real characters and voice actors for the CG characters was well cast. Now some of the critics said the Helena stole the show but I tend to think that it was equal between her & Johnny. I especially enjoyed the Mad Hatter. In some of his ramblings I could see bits of of the madness of Jack Sparrow showing through. I especially enjoyed when the Hatter got agitated he turned darker in appearance. Or when he got really speechy, a Scottish dialect poured on really thick. Oh, and Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum were perfectly cast. You couldn't have found anybody more perfect than Matt Lucas for that role. It was a lot of fun & I can't wait to see it again.
As far as the 3D goes it wasn't the typical stabbing stuff in your face 3D. Yes there was the occasional object that popped out at you but it was mostly there to add depth to the scenery. It actually reminded me of some of the Japanese puppet theater where there is great depth in the scenery. It all had depth and perspective so it felt like you were immersed in the picture instead of watching a 2D flat film with stuff flying past your head to make you duck. All in all it was well done. Heck, I even enjoyed the Futterwakken dance that the Hatter did. He said he was going to do it and he did. One thing I didn't feel of with this film, and that was the feeling of being spoon fed a story. It may not be totally true to the original because it hast to be written for todays audience, but they kept it in step in most ways with the books, at least in spirit. Again, I enjoyed it both in story and visually. Can't wait to see it again.

Cheers!

Dan

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
DanielJones said:
In some of his ramblings I could see bits of of the madness of Jack Sparrow showing through.

Being a big fan of the POTC series, I saw (and heard) the same thing....it's hard to dis-associate yourself from such an iconic character like Jack Sparrow! ;)
Rob

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I saw it yesterday. I really liked some of the character designs just like tha table monkeys, the frogs or the mad hare at the tea party. Twitching eyeballs never lookes so good.
The card-soldiers shouldn't look like mech warriors though. Also no need for a Jeanne d'Arc Alice...is the some scene in the "through the looking glass" novel? I can't remember.
Don't know what to think about "the story" but because of the cool looks it was certainly entertaining.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The wife and I saw it last week, and while I thought it was OK, she was bored and had to keep rousing herself. Our son and his wife thought it was boring as well. As Rhonda said, it just felt "flat" all the way through it--not much by way of emotional ups and downs. I didn't really feel it was "dark" as some reviews said. The dance at the end just didn't work for me. It felt kind of forced.

In sum, we were disappointed as we felt it could have, should have, been so much more.

Regards,
Tom

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
We saw it last week and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I was going to. It was good and had that signature Burton look but I would`nt count it among his best works.

Yeps said it best in his post(please re-read it)about not "being committed to the absurdity" that is Lewis Carol`s Through The Looking Glass.

Still a very entertaining film and I give `em Bonus Points for the Jabberwocky.

HMH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot