Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 : ALICE IN WONDERLAND

Berlin

Practically Family
Oh I love Tim Burtons movies and I can hardly wait for this one.
I expect a lot of it. Alice in Wonderland always had been one of my favorite tales and in combination with Burton..mhh..that can't go wrong!

Story

I'll Lock Up
In an attempt to sell more copies of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (which sees theatrical release on March 5) on DVD, the studio is shifting the theatrical window from 17 weeks to 13. What this means is that roughly three months after Alice is released in theatres, you'll be able to buy your own copy.

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/02/12/disney-shrinks-wonderland-window-should-theatres-worry/?icid=main|main|dl7|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cinematical.com%2F2010%2F02%2F12%2Fdisney-shrinks-wonderland-window-should-theatres-worry%2F

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is being done, from what I have read to curb piracy.
The though is people who go to the movies will always go to the moves, and people who get DVDs will do just that.

Maybe thats why this sudden surge in 3D being the new movie experience. Eh. If I want 3D, Ill go see a play.

I remember reading somewhere discussion about the thought of having both the DVD and theatrical release at the same time. Interesting...

I wish I had interest in seeing this move, but I dont.

LD

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also have zero interest in seeing this. It looks like another case where Burton's always great visual sense - but frequently sloppy handling of story and direction of actors - is once again producing a movie that's going to look smashing, but will likely strike me as unsatisfyingly half-baked in terms of storytelling.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I LOVE Tim Burton, did a paper on him in college.
I dont think hes a blockbuster director. He excels in intimate story pieces (big budget or no).

I also think he needs to vary the troupe of actors he works with. Im *really* getting sick of seeing Johnny Depp in everything.
Also from what Ive seen of it, I find it disturbing (not in a good way) that most of the characters are not proportionately equal to one another in anything. That just looks wrong to me.

LD

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As I've said here before, I have very mixed feelings about Tim Burton. He's done some films I adore (Big Fish, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood), some films I like a lot (Sweeney Todd, Batman, Sleepy Hollow), and others that just completely leave me cold (Beetlejuice, Batman Returns, Mars Attacks!, Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc.) He's undoubtedly a very gifted visual stylist, but his storytelling skills and direction of actors are very uneven and scattershot.

But hey, I freely admit that I'm a tough room... (And since I was already a decade out of college when his films began appearing, I wasn't wowed by them as an impressionable youth. I've come to realize that a great deal of one's taste is formed early in life, so if, like me, you came of age in the sixties/seventies, Burton's dazzling-but-sometimes-shallow style is a harder sell.)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You and I adore the same Burton films :)
Although I would add his short Frankenwinie and although he didn't direct it, The Nightmare Before Christmas for his concepting and character design.

I refuse to see his Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because I am so in love with the originals. That and I loathe when classic films are remade for the sake of remaking them :rage:

Sleepy Hollow was just gross to me and left me cold.

LD

GWD

One Too Many
Off Topic (just a little bit)

Lady Day I have a question for you,

Back in the day, mid to late 80's I used to go to the Annual Oingo Boingo Halloween Concerts (Lead Singer was Danny Elfman) who does of a lot of scores for Tim Burton. Over the stage they had a huge video screen playing with random pictures and stop motion claymation type videos. I always wondered if Tim Burton did those for the band. When you did your paper, was there information to that effect?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The paper was based on his self proclaimed manic depression. I got a lot of info from the first edition of his book Burton on Burton (this is a revised edition, its been revised a few times). The one I read ended with his completion of Batman Returns I believe.

It mainly talked about him being an animator at Disney, and not liking it too much, but getting the leeway to do some exploratory stuff, like the stop motion Vincent, and the short Frankinwenie, still one of my faves.

LD

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...film-disappear-cinemas-fast-Cheshire-Cat.html

article-1252091-0859FA87000005DC-614_634x343.jpg

Tim Burton says the Red Queen - played by wife Helena Bonham Carter - reminds him of the infamous New York property millionaire Leona Hemsley, known as the 'queen of mean', who, ironically, was a hatter's daughter

:D

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I think the big focus in the film will be the imagery rather than the storyline.
I was, at first discouraged as I thought it was a remake of the original but I felt a little better upon discovering that it's based 10 years after her initial trip to wonderland.
I'm a huge Alice in Wonderland so I shall be definitely going to see it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'll see it for three reasons: Burton, Depp and 3D.

I'm really infatuated with 3D after viewing Avatar...:eek:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
I'll see it for three reasons: Burton, Depp and 3D.

I'm really infatuated with 3D after viewing Avatar...:eek:
I disliked the Avatar trailer so this is goin to be my first 3d movie on the big screen.

I love the John Tenniel Illustrations and would prefer a mad hatter with less flower power. :rolleyes:

Alice in Wonderland 1903
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke25rh_8veM

Some scenes remind me of "The Forbidden Zone". Maybe thats were the Oingo Boingo Clips come from?
GWD said:
Lady Day I have a question for you,

Back in the day, mid to late 80's I used to go to the Annual Oingo Boingo Halloween Concerts (Lead Singer was Danny Elfman) who does of a lot of scores for Tim Burton. Over the stage they had a huge video screen playing with random pictures and stop motion claymation type videos. I always wondered if Tim Burton did those for the band. When you did your paper, was there information to that effect?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Flat Foot Floey said:
I disliked the Avatar trailer
But you MUST see Avatar at the cinema on a 3d screen. It is a major event in cinematic history. Right up there with "Birth of the Nation", "The Jazz Singer" and "Gone With the Wind".

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, but no thanks. I really know my taste and that I wouln`t be entertained. I hate CGI that looks clean and shiny. All this blue folks just looks like a game, not a movie.

I also dislike action science fiction except from the original Aliens movies. So I decided to wait for something better. ;)

Btw I only saw The Jazz Singa. Isn't "Birth of a Nation" this KKK flic? Why should I watch it?

Edward

Bartender
So, I saw it last night, in 3D. My local cinema is showing both 3D and 2D versions. I was a bit wary of the 3D in case it proved too distracting; everything else I have ever seen in 3D it proved to dominate the proceedings (as opposed to the story) because it was all filme around usunig the effect. I suppose what I was worried about was that it would fall prey to George Lucas Syndrome, whereby "can" becomes "should" and all is secondary to the use of effects. I decided I'd give it a go, though - I'm a fan of Burton, I've never seen anythig of his I didn't like - while far from his best, I certainly was entertained by even Planet of the Apes. Oh... well, on first viewing I was really disappointed by Mars Attacks as it had been so hyped as a 'comedy', I suppose - I didn't find it funny at all. It's grown on me since, but I do think it suffers badly from having been well over-hyped. Anyhoo....

I loved this Alice. It's Burton's own take on the story, which makes it stand out. Quite frankly, I very much appreciated the central character being an adult (if just about) Alice... there are enough kids on screen already, I don't need to see another precocious stage school brat, TBH... The look of it all is wonderful, as well as typically Burton. I was surprised when I saw Depp's Hatter in stills for the first time, however it really works on screen, and that it doesn't chase after the same old, same old of the original illustrations is a refreshing change. The 3D effect is subtly used for the most part, never becoming the total focal point. Very enjoyable.... If the BD comes out in 3D affordably and the glasses are affordable, I'd be tempted. I don't know enough about the technology to know if this could be retrospectively applied to existing films, but it might be fun to see (3D Watchmen, 3D Casablanca, anyone? lol ). The actual 3D glasses weren't bad to use. They did fit, if a little awkwardly, over my own spectacles. I wear Shuron Ronsir Zyls; you might find it not an issue at all if you wear something more contemporary, smaller. Maybe in future I might be tempted to pop a pair of contacts in before going 3D, though, of course, if this becomes the norm, I might also consider a pair of my own, run up with prescription lenses....

I can't compare this film to the original books, as while I have long been familiar with the story in various forms, I've never, that I'm aware, read the original texts in their full form. This film has inspired me to give them a go.

Spiffy said:
Why, why, why does that man have to be so attractive in make-up? Why???

lol I'm guessing you're too young to have been through this with Tim Curry.... ;)

ScotchWhisky said:
I'm especially excited to see Michael Sheen as the Cheshire Cat. :D

Stephen Fry was the cat, not Sheen. (Unless, as has been done with animated creatures in other features, they have him voiced by different foks in the US and UK?)

Tomasso said:
But you MUST see Avatar at the cinema on a 3d screen. It is a major event in cinematic history. Right up there with "Birth of the Nation", "The Jazz Singer" and "Gone With the Wind".

Meh. Avatar will go down in history as the first major 3D release of the modern era, especially if 3D takes off this time... but there's nothing, nothing, that attracts me to see it - and I'm quite a sci fi fan. I've already seen Dances with Wolves, and George Lucas stole enough of my life with those "special" editions and the Phantom $%^&ing Menace for me to be interested to go and see any further film "for the effects"! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo